Jordan Eberle: Star sniper or excellent complimentary player?

harpoon

Dec 23, 2005
What they actually said is that he is a product of an unsustainable SH% and the beneficiary of poor goaltending specifically when he was on the ice.
Now I see where the whole "unsustainable shooting %" joke came from.
I rarely look at the um, work done by the stats brigade bloggers so I was unaware as to why Eberle's shooting percentage was such a joke around hfboards these days - thanks for linking a fellow up with the source. Can't say I'm surprised.

I've always thought that Eberle had a chance to be the best of the group of young forwards on the Oilers, lately I realize that's almost certainly going to be RNH. Still I'd rank Eberle no worse than second behind RNH. Having him ranked fourth (or sixth :amazed:) beggars belief.

In particular I find it absurd that the reasoning behind the ranking appears to be that Eberle is a lucky shooter.
I would hope that anyone watching this player would have observed that he has an uncanny ability to work himself into the best possible place on the ice to score from. Whether its an extra move in the slot that most players wouldn't bother making, or working into position around the goal to make himself available for a pass, Eberle knows what kind of shot he wants to make before he ever makes it.

Shooting percentage stats assume that the brain behind every shot is equal. That makes their value tenuous at best.

I also have to add that even as a big believer in Gagner its nuts to have him above Eberle in any sort of ranking based on the game of hockey.
At no time have I ever thought that.

tiger_80

Apr 11, 2007
Now I see where the whole "unsustainable shooting %" joke came from.
I rarely look at the um, work done by the stats brigade bloggers so I was unaware as to why Eberle's shooting percentage was such a joke around hfboards these days - thanks for linking a fellow up with the source. Can't say I'm surprised.

I've always thought that Eberle had a chance to be the best of the group of young forwards on the Oilers, lately I realize that's almost certainly going to be RNH. Still I'd rank Eberle no worse than second behind RNH. Having him ranked fourth (or sixth :amazed:) beggars belief.

In particular I find it absurd that the reasoning behind the ranking appears to be that Eberle is a lucky shooter.
I would hope that anyone watching this player would have observed that he has an uncanny ability to work himself into the best possible place on the ice to score from. Whether its an extra move in the slot that most players wouldn't bother making, or working into position around the goal to make himself available for a pass, Eberle knows what kind of shot he wants to make before he ever makes it.

Shooting percentage stats assume that the brain behind every shot is equal. That makes their value tenuous at best.

I also have to add that even as a big believer in Gagner its nuts to have him above Eberle in any sort of ranking based on the game of hockey.
At no time have I ever thought that.

That's pretty much spot on. Shooting percentage is meaningless outside the context, since 100 shots from the perimeter will never result in as many goals as 100 shots from the slot. Eberle's shooting percentage is "unsustainable" because he does not take as many bad shots as an average NHL player.

grego

Jan 12, 2005
Saskatchewan
Eberle is the right type of star for the Oilers.

He may not be the flashy type of player like an Ovechkin ( who would get shredded on the nights Ovy floats and doesn't play hard ), but Eberle has a great work ethic and really loves the team.

I think Eberle is maybe a lower grade type of star right now, but mix in the extras with his love for the game and team, how hard he works ( things Oiler fans really can appreciate ) and the guy will be a great star to us.

I think he will be a better star in the game then Ryan Smyth was at his peak, and you know how Oil fans loved that guy, so the passion level of Eberle should make him better for Oil fans.

He is the right kind of star to fit in with this team, one the fans can appreciate

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad