Jordan Eberle: Star sniper or excellent complimentary player?

OG Eberle

Aug 25, 2011
I here many people always stating that Eberle's production is a product of his linemates yet, he has always performed amazing at every level he has been in. He has been playing lights out since RNH left OKC for the WJC, but he still has Hall and Schultz mind you.

How many people actually see Eberle as a star player in the NHL and would continue to produce like he has so far shown if he was on a team like Columbus or maybe Phoenix, teams that don't put as much emphasis into their offense as they do their defence perhaps? What is your reasoning behind not considering him a star in the league and why he might be a product of situation if thats what you believe? We all know he is good, but is he this good just because of his linemates? Or is this just Eberle just being Mr. Clutch as many have come to know him as?

Personally, I think he is a star and would continue to produce like he has shown no matter where he is. Of course having the young core of the Oilers surrounding him will help, but he just seems to think the game at a very cerebral level and then translate that into amazing shots and mindblowing dekes.

Like I said, I have heard both comparisons for him. I just want to get an idea of where HFOilers stands on him.

Last edited:

Dorian2

Define that balance
Jul 17, 2009
Edmonton
I think Eberle is considered too good to be true, especially considering his draft pick.

The guy is the real deal IMO.

OiledUp

Sep 17, 2011
I say option C: Lovable character from a 70s sitcom. Mr Unsustainable.

Aceboogie

Aug 25, 2012
seems to suceed no matter who his center is or who he plays with. He has such a good shot and eluviness that he can play good individually but also has good playmaking skills and vision he compliments almost any other style of player

McDrai

Mar 29, 2009
He'll never amount to anything based on his unsustainable shooting percentage

CupofOil

Knob Flavored Coffey
Aug 20, 2009
NYC
Ebs is a star offensively but he has A LOT of work to do defensively to be considered a true star player IMO. He is continuing some bad defensive habits down in OKC and needs to shore that area of his game up along with Hall if he and the Oilers are to take the next step.

Insta

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Dec 23, 2005
Edmonton
Who are the many people saying he is a product of his linemates? I just hear people saying he is really good.

frag2

Mar 8, 2006
Ebs is a star offensively but he has A LOT of work to do defensively to be considered a true star player IMO. He is continuing some bad defensive habits down in OKC and needs to shore that area of his game up along with Hall if he and the Oilers are to take the next step.

You have way too high expectation IMO. Neither Crosby, Tavares, stamkos, or ovechkin are defensive rocks so as long as he scores more than he lets in, he is doing fine

Fourier

Dec 29, 2006
Waterloo Ontario
Who are the many people saying he is a product of his linemates? I just hear people saying he is really good.

What they actually said is that he is a product of an unsustainable SH% and the beneficiary of poor goaltending specifically when he was on the ice.

It's all been said already by Scott, Tyler myself and others. He got pillow soft minutes, shot the lights out, his teammates shot the lights out and his IPP was crazy. If he gets tougher minutes, has regression in his shooting percentage, his on-ice shooting percentage and his IPP, he's going to drop 25-30 points. I'm not saying all of them will regress at once, but it's not unlikely either.

http://www.coppernblue.com/2012/8/7/3224457/oilers-top-25-under-25-4-jordan-eberle

K1984

Feb 7, 2008

The guy was around top 15 in scoring last year (forget where he actually finished) in his second year in the league while scoring 34 goals.

Although it is somewhat hard to tell based on the fact that he's playing in the AHL this year, I think he has gotten even better this season.

For the first time I think that Eberle could flirt with 50 goals at some point in his career. The guy gets the game, works tirelessly at it, and desperately wants to win. He's a star player even if his defensive game (which I don't think is poor at all) stays exactly where it is.

#ualberta
Dec 13, 2010
Edmonton
Eberle is our best player, others will disagree.

I wouldn't disagree he is our best player right now, he was the oilers bright spot around the league making it to the all star game, nhl awards, and finishing pretty close to the top of the scoring race
He lead our team in points the last to seasons by a decent amount.
I think the most important player to this team is nuge but that's a discussion for another thread

CupofOil

Knob Flavored Coffey
Aug 20, 2009
NYC
You have way too high expectation IMO. Neither Crosby, Tavares, stamkos, or ovechkin are defensive rocks so as long as he scores more than he lets in, he is doing fine

Yeah but those guys are the elite of the league (Tavares will be there soon enough) so they can afford to get away with some defensive deficiencies.
I don't expect Eberle to be a defensive rock but he needs to be better, he has been quite poor in his own end this season and i hope that it's just a matter of him coasting in a lesser league as opposed to developing bad habits that will carry over into the NHL season.

I just want to see a little more 2 way play from our top forwards namely Hall and Eberle, they can learn a lot from Nuge who pays a lot of attention to his defensive game without taking away from his offense.
Eberle is still a helluva player though.

Moonlapse Vertigo

Katz n' MacT BFFs
Oct 2, 2009
Edmonton
Eberle will be fine defensively once RNH matures into an elite centreman. It all starts in the middle of the ice.

oilers83

Feb 14, 2008
Answer C: 5 year anomaly

Simply put Jordan Eberle has created a hole in the matrix. There fore i have created my own advanced stat, The Eberle Rating. I created this stat to support my point any which way I want. Please note I have not taken any possible strategy ( ie favourable match ups against other teams, and playing to my own players strengths) that comes with playing a team sport.

(corsi)x (corsi rel) x (number of carbohydrates ingested bi weekly) / (jersey number) + (number of siblings) = The Eberle Rating

puckfan13

Jan 18, 2010
Still don't think he's a true star, he's a terrific player though. But if he is the best player on your team can you win the Cup? That's what I would define as a true star.

tiger_80

Apr 11, 2007
Everything depends on the definition of a star player. I don't see him ever reaching Crosby/Malkin level of game-breaking ability, but he should be a 30 goal/70 point player for a long time, and, perhaps, will score 40 goals/90 points a couple of times in his career.

OiledUp

Sep 17, 2011
Yeah but those guys are the elite of the league (Tavares will be there soon enough) so they can afford to get away with some defensive deficiencies.
I don't expect Eberle to be a defensive rock but he needs to be better, he has been quite poor in his own end this season and i hope that it's just a matter of him coasting in a lesser league as opposed to developing bad habits that will carry over into the NHL season.

I just want to see a little more 2 way play from our top forwards namely Hall and Eberle, they can learn a lot from Nuge who pays a lot of attention to his defensive game without taking away from his offense.
Eberle is still a helluva player though.

Also, I'd say all those guys are better than Ebs defensively despite certainly not being stars on d. Eberle is pretty sloppy defensively and needs to improve if he's not to be a liability once the games start to really matter.

Sky04

Jan 8, 2009

They weren't nearly this bad defensively in the NHL, both were quite impressive at hussling back to the defensive zone in their rookie season, perhaps it's just all going to their heads to fast.

Still don't think he's a true star, he's a terrific player though. But if he is the best player on your team can you win the Cup? That's what I would define as a true star.

What kind of definition is this? You can have more than 1 star player on a cup team, however you can only have 1 best player, does that mean the other guys aren't stars? That's some pretty high expectations you have for a "star" player, Sedin's aren't stars either I presume?

seems to suceed no matter who his center is or who he plays with. He has such a good shot and eluviness that he can play good individually but also has good playmaking skills and vision he compliments almost any other style of player

This, if anything his incredible shooting decisions and %, are inflating the others' point totals.

Last edited:

tiger_80

Apr 11, 2007
I wouldn't disagree he is our best player right now, he was the oilers bright spot around the league making it to the all star game, nhl awards, and finishing pretty close to the top of the scoring race
He lead our team in points the last to seasons by a decent amount.
I think the most important player to this team is nuge but that's a discussion for another thread

I think the franchise player is Hall. IMHO, if he did not have his injuries issues, this would not be a discussion.

Aerchon

Jul 20, 2011
Just my opinion

Eberle: Offesnively as good as it gets in the NHL not quite super star tho.

Hall: Has superstar pressense. I really think he is the best of all the Oilers young guns. More of an impact player than Eberle and in his career will be plus or minus the same offensive numbers as Eberle.

RNH: Best chance to get over 100+ points. His game is great no matter what but with as much talent as is around him his playmaking ability is just gonna pick apart the league.

Nail: Looks like Taylor Hall version 2.0 to me. So similair. Having 2 Halls on a team is disgusting.

As mentioned before. No Crosby's or Malkin's but all PPG type star players. Every one of them. Each of them will be in the all star game at some point in thier career. All of them should exceed 80+ points.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad

-->