Jordan Binnington

Spektre

Apr 10, 2010
Krynn
Is Binnington going to make a push for the Calder trophy?

Pettersson has 27 goals, 34 assists, good for 64 points in 66 games. It’s certainly an impressive rookie campaign. He’s definitely cooled off scoring 4 goals in the last 27 games. He certainly has a case to be made for the Calder.

Binnington has 21 wins in 26 starts. He’s 2nd in the league with a .930 save percentage. Bishop leads the league with a .933 save percentage. For reference Bishop has 26 wins in 44 games. Binnington leads the league with a 1.81 gaa, and is tied for 5th overall with 5 shutouts.

The Blues have 6 games left. My guess is Binnington gets at least 4 more starts and could get 5. If he finishes out the year the same way he’s performed up to this point I think he has to be strongly considered for the Calder.

If Pettersson doesn’t play on Vancouver this season they still miss the playoffs. Without Binnington, the Blues most likely are not playoff bound. That should play a factor but I guess we’ll see what happens and where the votes fall.

PiggySmalls

Oink Oink MF
Mar 7, 2015
I want to say yes he will make a push. But I don’t see him winning. Hockey writers can send in their votes anytime. There were some that probably already voted in Dec or Jan. Plus no goalie that won it played less than 40 games.

ItsOnlytheRiver

Mar 25, 2010
Don’t think he will win but I hope he’s a finalist.

Don’t see him getting more than 4 starts. Still 2 back to backs.

Majorityof1

Mar 6, 2014
Central Florida
He absolutely should be a finalist. Its Dahlin, Pettersson and Binnington for the top 3. I don't think a credible argument can be made for anyone else. I think Carter Hart is in the top 5, and Binnington is statistically better in every category than Hart. Tkachuk and Johnsson are fighting for the last top 5 spot, imo. They are at 20 goals, 40ish points. I think Tkachuk gets it over Johnsson due to age and playing for a worse team despite a few less assists.

I think the same things that hurt Johnsson, will keep Binnington from winning. In addition, he didn't play until the second half and is being compared to guys who have been building hype all season. As for the team, we played amazing defense in front of him. Some on here credit the team's confidence in him for the improved defensive play, and there is probably some truth to that. However, will voters see that or just see the stats that he faces the least shots per game of any NHL goalie?

elkranio

Jan 4, 2014
wlF2GXm.png

Stealth JD

Don't condescend me, man.
Sponsor
Jan 16, 2006
Bonita Springs, FL
I don't know how he can be so mobile in the net with balls that heavy....

the only time he doesn't seem very mobile is on wrap-arounds...he's been burned a couple of times, and seemed fortunate to get all the way back across on a couple of more occasions. I've been pleased with his movement in the crease (or lack thereof), but man, I hold my breath when a winger comes bearing in on him then tries to take it behind the net for a stuff-in.

Reactions: hullderko

Stupendous Yappi

Any famous last words? Not yet!
Sponsor
Aug 23, 2018
Erwin, TN
Too much of these awards are given based on hype and a publicity campaign. I’m not sure Binnington has had enough of that. If the Blues squeaked past Winnipeg into 1st, that type of thing might move Binnington up into serious contention. As it is, I think he should be one of the 3 finalists but won’t really be considered for the win. Maybe he can console himself with his day with the Cup at the Cheshire Hotel.

Brian39

Apr 24, 2014
I love what Binny has done, but I can't give a season-long award to a guy who will play less than 35 games when there is a candidate who has played as well as Pettersson has. Even for a goalie, who isn't expected to play 82, less than 35 games just isn't a big enough sample size for me. Especially since his start total will likely be 29 or 30.

Pettersson is just under a point per game player through 68 games. His drop in production after the 50 game mark illustrates why I don't think it is fair to give Binny the award based on 30 starts. Part of the difficulty of being an NHL rookie is adjusting to the grind in the best league in the world. Pettersson's 65 points in 68 games take the effect of that grind into consideration. Taking just his first 50 games into consideration, he had 54 points. 35 points in his first 30. While there has been a drop in production, he has maintained a 75+ point pace, which is pretty damn remarkable.

Binny has also seen a dip in production from his other-worldy numbers, sporting a .913 over his last 10 starts. That's absolutely not bad, but it suggests that he would likely be posting 'good-but-not-elite' numbers over a 50+ game sample size.

FWIW, my Calder top 5 is identical to Halak Ness Monster's. Binny's great play through 30 games was enough to overcome the other rookies, but not a kid who is just shy of PPG in his first NHL season and doing it with a pretty underwhelming supporting cast.

KingBran

Three Eyed Raven
Apr 24, 2014
I don't think anyone is actually saying Binnington should win the Calder. He's a great story though

MortiestOfMortys

Jun 27, 2015
Denver, CO
the only time he doesn't seem very mobile is on wrap-arounds...he's been burned a couple of times, and seemed fortunate to get all the way back across on a couple of more occasions. I've been pleased with his movement in the crease (or lack thereof), but man, I hold my breath when a winger comes bearing in on him then tries to take it behind the net for a stuff-in.

Paajarvi is drooling

Mike Liut

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Feb 12, 2008
I no longer think he’s a fluke. I’m now sold on him. It took me a while to be convinced, but i am now.

Reactions: GoldenSeal

Brian39

Apr 24, 2014
I no longer think he’s a fluke. I’m now sold on him. It took me a while to be convinced, but i am now.

I'm sold that he is an NHL-level goalie in the medium-long term. His positioning and edge work is good enough that he can at least be serviceable if/when cracks start to appear as teams get a better scouting report of his weaknesses. I've really liked his compete level in games where he doesn't seem to have it. He's able to prevent a bad night from being an awful night, which is a really important characteristic for a goalie (and Allen's biggest shortcoming IMO).

I think the jury is still out about where he falls between 'serviceable NHLer' and 'top end starter.' I think it is closer to 'top end starter' than the other, but I'm not sure if it is close enough for him to be the long term solution. Time will tell and I will probably need another 60 starts or so before I'm completely sold either way.

Brockon

Cautiously optimistic realist when caffeinated.
Aug 20, 2017
Northern Canada
I wish Thomas would cite his source. I don't have any reason to doubt that he got league/team confirmation, but that is such an odd interpretation of that rule.

At this point, he's got 28 NHL starts this season, in addition to the 2 relief appearances with 30+ mins TOI. Which, I believe counts as 30 games played.

So, as curious as the sourcing may be, it's irrelevant now - he's an RFA at the end of the season, regardless of how the rule is interpreted.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad

-->