Jordan Binnington vs Jake Allen

Status
Not open for further replies.

Robb_K

Apr 26, 2007
NordHolandNethrlands
Who would you say is the heir apparent down the road?
Too early to have any idea. Both have the skills at this point to develop into NHL starters. But the mental game is very important. They could both become busts, too. I think that, at WORST, both will be regular NHL backups, and, possibly starters for a few years on teams with weak goalie rosters. But, I hope they'll both be high-quality NHL starters.

David Dennison

I'm a tariff, man.
Jul 5, 2007
Grenyarnia
Dont ever bet on young goalies. Allen has been a slow starter in the AHL, but his numbers have been solid by the end of the last two seasons. Binnington hasnt done much until this season where he has been playing behind an elite team. Both seem to have the size/athleticism to be a NHL goalie. If I had to take one, it probably would be Allen, but an irrelevant argument IMO.

Plagers4Ever

Apr 20, 2006
We might have some better input soon. Allen has a reputation of "losing the big game" in juniors and in world juniors. Lets see how Binnington performs in the final world juniors game for Canada (assuming he starts) and in the junior playoffs this Spring.

Plagers4Ever

Apr 20, 2006
What about Binnington vs. Allen vs. Lundstrom?

I think one significant difference is that Allen and Binnington are North American AND signed by the Blues and Lundstrom is one of those "will he or won't he come over Europeans?"

But, that said, Lundstrom sure has placed himself into "needs serious consideration" with his recent play.

2 Minute Minor

Hi Keeba!
Jun 3, 2008
Temple, Texas
We might have some better input soon. Allen has a reputation of "losing the big game" in juniors and in world juniors. Lets see how Binnington performs in the final world juniors game for Canada (assuming he starts) and in the junior playoffs this Spring.
Is that Allen's reputation, or Canada's (lately)?

Alklha

Sep 7, 2011
Not been the best of seasons for Jake Allen, but he has had good numbers over the past couple of years and is only 22. I have my doubts over him becoming a regular NHL starter, but I could certainly see him performing the type of role that Brian Elliott did last season.

Binnington and Lundström is more interesting because they are the same age, but in different situations. Lundström is doing a decent job splitting time in net for AIK in the SEL at 19 and has a legitimate chance of being the #1 for them next season. Binnington is doing really well in the OHL, and it might just be the fact that it is the junior Leagues that he feels further away.

Halak and Elliott both UFA's at the end of next season, we have to imagine that one (probably Elliott) will leave. Probably Allen to get that spot, but will be interesting to see if Lundström would be in a position to challenge for it that soon.

Prussian_Blue

Apr 9, 2003
futurenotes.blogspot.com
Allen has a reputation of "losing the big game" in juniors and in world juniors...

:huh:

Who came literally out of nowhere to win the U18 World Juniors for Canada almost single-handedly in 2008, which led to Allen being drafted in the first place?

After seeing some of the World Juniors, I think Niklas Lundström could possibly be better than either Allen or Binnington...

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad