Recalled/Assigned: Joni Ortio recalled, Ramo on Injured Reserve

Calculon

unholy acting talent
Jan 20, 2006
Error 503
They likely want to see whether Ortio is worth bringing back next season in any capacity. If he can get his confidence back, maybe he's worth re-signing to a two-way deal, i.e. don't qualify, then try to re-sign when he doesn't get a one-way anywhere else.

Poulin's NHL numbers have been awful since his knee injury. Whatever Ortio might be, Poulin is not NHL material.

OvermanKingGainer

#BennettFreed #CurseofTheSpulll #FreeOliver
Feb 3, 2015
2022 Cup to Calgary
I don't get why they didn't call up Poulin. I get that Ortio is the guy they've invested time in, but this year, and over the course of his pro career, Poulin has been as good or better.

No need to speculate, Pascal stated outright that they felt both Ortio and Poulin were playing "well" but the coaching staff was a lot more familiar with, and therefore comfortable with, Ortio.

Anglesmith

Setting up the play?
Sep 17, 2012
Victoria
No need to speculate, Pascal stated outright that they felt both Ortio and Poulin were playing "well" but the coaching staff was a lot more familiar with, and therefore comfortable with, Ortio.

I'm not sure I understand how being more familiar with Ortio brought the coaching staff any level of comfort. :p:

Lunatik

Normal is an illusion.
Oct 12, 2012
Padded Room
They likely want to see whether Ortio is worth bringing back next season in any capacity. If he can get his confidence back, maybe he's worth re-signing to a two-way deal, i.e. don't qualify, then try to re-sign when he doesn't get a one-way anywhere else.

Poulin's NHL numbers have been awful since his knee injury. Whatever Ortio might be, Poulin is not NHL material.
Poulin could still be NHL material, when he got his NHL time the Isles were a trainwreck

FLAMESFAN

Feb 27, 2002
True. A perspective offered on the Fan 960 by Steinberg I think: Poulin has passed Ortio on the depth chart, and that's why he's still in Stockton, so he can play. Ortio is just in Calgary to sit on the bench as the backup.

I don't know if I buy that, and I don't know if it can be said that Poulin has passed Ortio on the depth chart. At the time of the call up Poulin had just been pulled from the previous game (and pulled again the other night btw). I don't think either goalie has separated themselves, much like our NHL goalies, they've just been average. Poulin did put together a couple of good games before the latest stinker though.
When Ortio was brought up did anyone actually think that Hiller would play every game? They brought up the goalie they knew best, and he's getting one last evaluation. He will play. How will he do? Who knows, but the rest of his NA career could be riding on this. If he can't be dialed in regardless of the team in front of him, than goodbye - but I'm going to give him that last chance to prove himself unlike most of you who have already written him off.
I hope he plays vs the Canucks.

Volica

Papa Shango
May 15, 2012
I'm not sure I understand how being more familiar with Ortio brought the coaching staff any level of comfort. :p:

Same reason Wideman played more PP than any other dman. They'e familiar with him, I don't find comfort in having the worst PP in the league :sarcasm: (JKs, I won't pile on Wideman for you :laugh:)

Snazu

I contribute nothing
Feb 2, 2007
I have a couple questions about Ramo for you guys. So he was done for the season, the season is technically over for the Flames. He's a pending UFA. My question is now that the season is over with, does he still have anything to do with the Flames doctors and trainers about his injury? Do the Flames have an obligation to look after him until July 1st, even if they aren't going to re-sign him? I've always wondered what happens in these situations.

I always liked the guys compete level but I'd still rather have them go in a different direction and hopefully try someone else in net. I wish him well and hope he lands on his feet somewhere else.

Lunatik

Normal is an illusion.
Oct 12, 2012
Padded Room
I have a couple questions about Ramo for you guys. So he was done for the season, the season is technically over for the Flames. He's a pending UFA. My question is now that the season is over with, does he still have anything to do with the Flames doctors and trainers about his injury? Do the Flames have an obligation to look after him until July 1st, even if they aren't going to re-sign him? I've always wondered what happens in these situations.

I always liked the guys compete level but I'd still rather have them go in a different direction and hopefully try someone else in net. I wish him well and hope he lands on his feet somewhere else.
I don't think they have any obligation to him after July 1st, but I cannot say with any certainty.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad

-->