Jonathan Toews

GKJ

Global Moderator
Feb 27, 2002
If he wants to come out of North Dakota he will. The Blackhawks offered him a contract, he wanted to stay in school...

fullmetalninja

Jan 11, 2003
Chicago
Most assume he will play in the NHL next season. Will it happen or not? That's Toews decision.

The hawks felt that he could play on the team this season (I'm not so sure), I don't see why they wouldn't feel that way next year.

As far as points go, who knows. We are still extremely weak at Center going into next year:

Sharp/Bolland

Are the only centers signed. Tallon has expressed interest in resigning Zeus, and I think most hawk fans hope that he does.

Smolinski will likely be let go.

Long story short: there is an outside chance Toews comes to camp, and gets placed between Ruutu and Havlat. If that were to happen, expect big points. Short of that, I would expect solid rookie numbers, but nothing crazy ala Crosby, Ovechkin, Malkin...

-fullmetalninja

5mn Major

Jan 14, 2006
I think there's an increasing trend of top NCAA players who would just as soon stay in college if they're not going to be on the big club. And as a player who jumped to Shattuck and joined the NCAA as a Canadian, Toews seems to be quite deliberate with his choices.

Wally112pac

Dec 26, 2003
Canada
Visit site
http://www.tsn.ca/nhl/news_story/?ID=173116&hubname=nhl

"Toews turned down a $935,000 US offer from Chicago.

"It wasn't do or die for (the Blackhawks)," Toews said. "They understood that I knew better what was best for me.""

Don't believe everything the media puts out.

http://www.chicagoblackhawks.com/news/news.asp?story_id=3383

"I thought the press coverage of your decision was interesting. TSN's headline said, "Toews spurns Blackhawks," and the story taken from the Associated Press reported you had turned down a $935,000 offer. GM Dale Tallon has told me they definitely considered signing you for this season, but that they were always comfortable with you returning to college for one more year and that a contract was never actually offered. So I was surprised by the reports. Were you?

Yes. The decision had been made about a week before the media actually started talking about it. My advisor told me it was better to talk to Dale Tallon and the Blackhawks before telling anybody else. But I guess word must have squeaked out. How everyone got their different numbers and versions, I'm not too sure.

To clarify then, there's no question the Blackhawks strongly considered signing you. But they never did offer you a contract.

That's right."

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad