Jonathan Toews

Status
Not open for further replies.

RememberTheRoar

“I’m not as worried about the 5-on-5 scoring.”
Oct 21, 2015
That's me in the corner
Never said he could be nor do I want him to be. I'll gladly take the 70 point (well average wise), possession juggernaut he once was who won seemingly nearly every board battle. That's the guy I miss.

I’d say 70 point Toews would make him a top scoring center, that’s what I’m not banking on seeing again.

I’m accepting he may be the 50ish point possession juggernaut.

ClydeLee

Mar 23, 2012
I can see Toews a 70 point guy again but not under Q. A system pushing more offensive chances and a pp system letting Toews play in the middle of the ice more.

RememberTheRoar

Oct 21, 2015
That's me in the corner
I can see Toews a 70 point guy again but not under Q. A system pushing more offensive chances and a pp system letting Toews play in the middle of the ice more.

I’m not saying it can’t happen, just saying I’m not going to keep waiting for it to happen.

We need to be prepared for this being what he is now. It’s three straight years of sub-60 point production, this isn’t just a single down season.

Pez68

Mar 18, 2010
Chicago, IL
Maybe Toews will become a top scoring center after Quenneville, but I’m not banking on that either.

I think the Hawks are getting lucky that Schmaltz is blossoming into the type of center who can put up first line center offense, and don’t necessarily need Toews to provide that anymore.

Toews can still play a key role on this team, but I’m no longer convinced he needs to be the top offensive center.

Seeing what Vegas’ smaller first line continues to do in these playoffs has me convinced a DeBrincat-Schmaltz-Kane first line could also work in this current league. DeBrincat plays bigger than his size, Schmaltz is solid to good defensively and has an elite stick check, Kane is Kane.

A Hinostroza-Toews-Saad second line is not bad. Toews and Saad still have an important role as the top PK unit, while providing supplemental offense in 5v5 and PP time.

I’m just done holding my breathe for a Toews rebound, and I’m to the point of accepting that he is what he is. It was harder to accept before watching this Vegas team, but now I don’t feel so sick about it.

Vegas' first line really isn't small at all.

Smith is 6'0 185
Karlsson is 6'1" 190
Marchessault 5'9" 175

hawksfan50

Feb 27, 2002
Did Toewsattend the last Hawks Fans Convention?Cause apparently he will not be at the convention coming up this summer ...though I guess Crawford is OK because he will be there and Patrick Kane also despite his longer season (played in World Championships)...so maybe the Captain has some valid reason for missing and not parlay in with the fans this time. .
But if this is 2 in a row (again I may be wrong if he was there last convention and has a good excuse to miss this one ...but if he was indeed not there last time and now this) THEN something is amiss
...the poster boy for the organization should be there when he pockets $10.6 per ...again they Gabe him $13.8 x3 over the last 3 seasons...would you not think?So again
..refresh my mind...is thus now 2 conventions in a row or only this one off due to a very good reason?Should Hawks fans be "concerned" about this?

BobbyJet

I am Canadian
Oct 27, 2010
Dundas, Ontario. Can
/\ No. But Toews had better be working out and figuring out just how to get back to where a player should be in his prime! Hopefully, he's watching closely what Crosby and Ovi are doing at similar stages in their careers

RememberTheRoar

Oct 21, 2015
That's me in the corner
/\ No. But Toews had better be working out and figuring out just how to get back to where a player should be in his prime! Hopefully, he's watching closely what Crosby and Ovi are doing at similar stages in their careers

Not holding my breathe. I think he is the guy we’ve seen over the last three seasons. I’m not sure how he magically turns that around.

Reactions: Marotte Marauder

swerdnase

Jan 27, 2013
You know, as someone else posted above, they've been releasing the names of the players that will be at the convention one at a time. The convention is still nearly two months away with plenty of time to announce more players appearing. Why don't we stop knocking a guy based on the speculation that he's not showing up?

RememberTheRoar

Oct 21, 2015
That's me in the corner
You know, as someone else posted above, they've been releasing the names of the players that will be at the convention one at a time. The convention is still nearly two months away with plenty of time to announce more players appearing. Why don't we stop knocking a guy based on the speculation that he's not showing up?

I’m not knocking him for the convention, I honestly couldn’t care less. I’m saying I don’t believe he will magically be different than the player we’ve seen for the last three seasons.

migi

Feb 25, 2015

Because its cool to bash Jonathan Toews! Are you new here?

As just graduated from University and my major was business marketing, it makes sense to announce Toews’s showing up later.

First you announce some players and one big name, like Keith. Then you keep announce players regularly and save the big names for last for insurance, if the convention hasnt been sold out yet. That is just pure logic, not saying it will happen because well, I dont know Jonathan Toews in person.

And yeah, some guys here seem to forget that those guys are humans. And now people come here to say ”but they make millions of dollars!!! they should be in every coffee commercials and pizza events in Chicago!!!”. Blaah..

Game suspension

Feb 11, 2018
Just an fyi - the Hawks have been handling the convention attendees a little differently this year. They’ve been announcing each player separately for the past few weeks- go look at their instagram/twitter. In years past they’ve just put out one list, but they’ve be drawing the process out. (Maybe they’re worried about the ticket sales/hype for the convention after a bad season?) Kane was just announced yesterday, so I think the link you provided is an ongoing update.

Just wanted to put that out there because it is still possible they’ll announce Toews in the next few days. Maybe table the discussion until we know for sure haha. But I wouldn’t expect Saad to go, especially if his wedding is exactly a week before. It’d be crazy demanding to expect a guy to cut his honeymoon short to come to a fan convention.

So McDonough is going to give the big reveal later as the big push to buy tickets? Those ticket sales for the Blackhawk convention must really suck. Is there any idiot out there who is waiting for Captain Cauliflower to say 'I am in' to make them decide to buy tickets? After his last season? f*** if that is your best card to play it is pretty sad.

And, if he does go, does Toews take open questions at the convention? What if he gets the 'What is wrong with you?' question?

I would imagine there would be a further screening of questions this year.

RememberTheRoar

Oct 21, 2015
That's me in the corner
So McDonough is going to give the big reveal later as the big push to buy tickets? Those ticket sales for the Blackhawk convention must really suck. Is there any idiot out there who is waiting for Captain Cauliflower to say 'I am in' to make them decide to buy tickets? After his last season? **** if that is your best card to play it is pretty sad.

And, if he does go, does Toews take open questions at the convention? What if he gets the 'What is wrong with you?' question?

I would imagine there would be a further screening of questions this year.

I’d rather buy tickets to the convention than see you use that dumbass nickname again.

Marotte Marauder

Aug 10, 2008
Because its cool to bash Jonathan Toews! Are you new here?

As just graduated from University and my major was business marketing, it makes sense to announce Toews’s showing up later.

First you announce some players and one big name, like Keith. Then you keep announce players regularly and save the big names for last for insurance, if the convention hasnt been sold out yet. That is just pure logic, not saying it will happen because well, I dont know Jonathan Toews in person.

And yeah, some guys here seem to forget that those guys are humans. And now people come here to say ”but they make millions of dollars!!! they should be in every coffee commercials and pizza events in Chicago!!!”. Blaah..

Wait until you get a little drier behind the ears there John McD lite.

Tickets will sell better if you wait to announce who is coming, is that your premise? Nonsense, if let's say Keith, Kane, Crawford and Toews will be coming to the convention. Is it your premise that tickets sell better with less time to sell them instead of announcing ALL are coming and having a greater time period to sell the tickets?

Interesting concept.

Marotte Marauder

Aug 10, 2008
You guys should appreciate the players who won you 3 championships instead of trashing them. They earned those salaries because they're winners.

Unfortunately a lot of people paid for a lot of tickets before they were winners and are now paying a lot more money for tickets and not getting what they've paid for.

Bubba88

Toews = Savior
Nov 8, 2009
Bavaria
he's still right. They got paid for the Cups and that Little extra Money that we all wanted being less is just the winner-pricetag.

Dont Toews Me Bro

Mar 20, 2018
You guys should appreciate the players who won you 3 championships instead of trashing them. They earned those salaries because they're winners.

Agreed. It seems most of the folks here have no respect for what Tallon's core has accomplished and for whatever reason the captain has taken the brunt of the criticism.

RememberTheRoar

Oct 21, 2015
That's me in the corner
Sure we do.

That is no reason to accept coasting.

Agreed. It seems most of the folks here have no respect for what Tallon's core has accomplished and for whatever reason the captain has taken the brunt of the criticism.

There’s a huge difference between appreciating what guys did and wanting to remain competitive vs. watching guys take victory laps and missing the playoffs.

We ALL appreciate what the core did, these conversations dont change that.

Reactions: BobbyJet

RememberTheRoar

Oct 21, 2015
That's me in the corner
Kane coasts more than Toews, he just has more talent to make up for it.

Kane coasts defensively, and it sucks to see. But Toews hardly producing 50 points offensively for $10.5 million is a huge issue. That’s second line production for a guy who is paid like one of the NHL’s elite players.

If Toews made Jordan Staal money, nobody would be upset.

RememberTheRoar

Oct 21, 2015
That's me in the corner
Imo, Toews is done.

I don’t think that’s true. He still has value, just not enough offensive value to make up for how his salary reduces the quality of depth.

He’s still a good shutdown 2nd/3rd line center, but that shouldn’t cost you more than $6 million. His play over the last three seasons is worth about $4.5 million dollars less than his cap hit.

Add that to Seabrook being paid roughly $5 million more than he’s worth, and you find yourself in a really bad spot going forward.

Bowman has to ignore whatever loyalty he feels toward these two, and find a way to move them. It will open up so much money to fix the defense, and add depth across the lineup.

That’s roughly $17 million, making it easy to add difference makers on defense, and to the 2nd, 3rd, and 4th lines.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad