Jonathan Toews

Status
Not open for further replies.

joe sacco

Sep 30, 2005
If he had decided to forego the NCAA route and play in the W.H.L. what type of numbers do you think he would be posting this season relative to the leaders right now?

Zine

Feb 28, 2002
Rostov-on-Don
Toews currently has 11 pts in 18 games at UND.

The WHL is really low scoring, so I'd guess around a point a game.....maybe a tad more.

ryz

Dec 24, 2004
Canada
Zine said:
Toews currently has 11 pts in 18 games at UND.

The WHL is really low scoring, so I'd guess around a point a game.....maybe a tad more.

That would be my guess too. I couls a little more than a PPG out of him in the WHL. Probably a lot higher in the OHL or QMJHL.

AgentNaslund*

points shoudlnt be used to determine how good players are. Nathan Hortons numbers were average at best, and he was ranked as one of the best prospects in 2003. The same with Jarome Iginla. Even Eric Staals numbers were not that great considering what hes doing in the NHL now. But I really think Toews should take the WHL route next season.

nesbit_21

Aug 2, 2005
Towes hasnt impressed me in the least from what i've seen this WJC. Im not sure why Sutter plays him consistently more than a guy like Cogliano, specially on the PP.

Towes may one day be the better player, but right no a guy like Cogliano is looking much better, and Kessel...well dont get me started, put it this way, it shouldnt be much of a contests for the number one pick this year...

HabLover

Mar 2, 2002
Sandspit
Visit site
nesbit_21 said:
Towes hasnt impressed me in the least from what i've seen this WJC. Im not sure why Sutter plays him consistently more than a guy like Cogliano, specially on the PP.

Towes may one day be the better player, but right no a guy like Cogliano is looking much better, and Kessel...well dont get me started, put it this way, it shouldnt be much of a contests for the number one pick this year...

Yeah, you should be behind the bench and not Brent Sutter! :shakehead

Although I do wonder why he keeps putting Pouliot out there and in the USA game I thought Latendresse would have been a better choice with his size and strength against the USA D.

Jakethesnake

May 27, 2003
Sydney
Visit site
No mate, YOU should be behind the bench and not Brent Sutter! :shakehead Nothing like a total contradiction in 2 sentences....

Anyways you cant be super critical of Toews at the WJC considering his age

Kermit

Sep 22, 2004
AgentNaslund said:
But I really think Toews should take the WHL route next season.

Why?

The WHL is a great developmental league, but so is the WCHA. Toews plays against older players in the NCAA, gets lots of practice time, good coaching, and has world class training facilities. He plays on a stacked North Dakota team with TJ Oshie, Drew Stafford, Travis Zajac, Brian Lee, Taylor Chorney, and Matt Smaby among others (a total of eight teammates drafted in the first 2 rounds by the NHL). The team is fighting for home ice in the playoffs in a very strong league. Four former North Dakota players have made their NHL debuts this season: Zach Parise (NJ), Brandon Bochenski (Ott), Matt Greene (Edm), and Matt Jones (Pho). Oh, and he gets to play his home games in the Ralph Engelstad Arena, site of the 2005 World Junior Championship, in front of average crowds of more than 10,000.

The CHL is great, but I get tired of reflexive put downs of the NCAA--especially the WCHA.

Last edited:

Daily Special

Oct 4, 2005
San Francisco
monster_bertuzzi said:
His puck skills aren't nearly as good as I thought they would be for such a highly rated draft prospect. At least compared to his foe in Kessel.

Have to agree here. It's not the lack of points I'm so concerened with as Agent Nsslund pointed out - that isn't always telling. I've just yet to see any of the "star qualities" that you want to see with someone going so high.

monster_bertuzzi

May 26, 2003
Vancouver
Visit site
Rush5Collapse5 said:
Have to agree here. It's not the lack of points I'm so concerened with as Agent Nsslund pointed out - that isn't always telling. I've just yet to see any of the "star qualities" that you want to see with someone going so high.

I don't get me wrong - I saw him tonight live for the first time, he's a big kid thats strong on his skates and is fearless (really a smart kid too) but his hands just aren't what I thought they would be after reading about em'.

faucette78

Jan 6, 2005
monster_bertuzzi said:
I don't get me wrong - I saw him tonight live for the first time, he's a big kid thats strong on his skates and is fearless (really a smart kid too) but his hands just aren't what I thought they would be after reading about em'.

Kessel only scored 4 goals (3 in one game) last year at the same age and only 1 this year so far. What great hands he has. The age difference is huge between the two. For example a lot of things can change in one year. Malkin was good last year but is WAY better this year. I expect Toews to be much better next year.

HabLover

Mar 2, 2002
Sandspit
Visit site
faucette78 said:
Kessel only scored 4 goals (3 in one game) last year at the same age and only 1 this year so far. What great hands he has. The age difference is huge between the two. For example a lot of things can change in one year. Malkin was good last year but is WAY better this year. I expect Toews to be much better next year.

Malkin didn't play at the WJC's as a 17 yr old, so that make Toews better than Malkin! :bow:

Joe Hallenback

Mar 4, 2005
Kermit said:
Why?

The WHL is a great developmental league, but so is the WCHA. Toews plays against older players in the NCAA, gets lots of practice time, good coaching, and has world class training facilities. He plays on a stacked North Dakota team with TJ Oshie, Drew Stafford, Travis Zajac, Brian Lee, Taylor Chorney, and Matt Smaby among others (a total of eight teammates drafted in the first 2 rounds by the NHL). The team is fighting for home ice in the playoffs in a very strong league. Four former North Dakota players have made their NHL debuts this season: Zach Parise (NJ), Brandon Bochenski (Ott), Matt Greene (Edm), and Matt Jones (Pho). Oh, and he gets to play his home games in the Ralph Engelstad Arena, site of the 2005 World Junior Championship, in front of average crowds of more than 10,000.

The CHL is great, but I get tired of reflexive put downs of the NCAA--especially the WCHA.

agreed UND is a great program
My one complaint about NCAA take the cages off and let the kids have a few dust ups :)

Transported Upstater

AgentNaslund said:
points shoudlnt be used to determine how good players are. Nathan Hortons numbers were average at best, and he was ranked as one of the best prospects in 2003. The same with Jarome Iginla. Even Eric Staals numbers were not that great considering what hes doing in the NHL now. But I really think Toews should take the WHL route next season.

You make a good point about Horton. He was way better in his limited time in the OHL than his statistics showed.

Hockeycanada*

Toews has had a great game, he has been on the first PP unit, has been on for at least 2 Canadian goals, and scored a goal that was disallowed.

monster_bertuzzi

May 26, 2003
Vancouver
Visit site
faucette78 said:

A monkey could watch the two of them play and realise Kessel has far softer hands...

faucette78

Jan 6, 2005
monster_bertuzzi said:
A monkey could watch the two of them play and realise Kessel has far softer hands...

I understand that. My point was that even with a great release Kessel has he has not lit up the tournament with goals. Sometimes even best struggle to score goals as a young player.

I am just making the point that it is very difficult to judge an underage player at the tournament. There have been a lot of other top pics and current NHL stars that did not light up the tournament at 17. Joe Thornton, Lecavalier, come to mind off the top of my head. Think about projection, and toews looks like a very mature player that can score and setup goals. Wait until next year.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad