Jonathan Quick out indefinitely

Bleedred

Travis Green BLOWS! Bring back Nasreddine!
Sponsor
May 1, 2011
Pfsh, invite me to a thread with all your posts saying my Isles are bad. I was bamboozled! :laugh:
Nothing personal bud!:nod:

We actually have a poster on the Devils forum who hypes up every rival team or even other team in the conference, especially if they go on a winning streak. So if the Rangers win their game tomorrow night, he'll probably be saying ''Watch out for the Rags, two wins in a row out in California on a tough road trip!''. He's currently doing that for the Islanders. He also kept saying the last two seasons that the Islanders were a playoff team the entire season, so if I were you, I'd be more mad at him for hyping your team, as he seems to be the kiss of death.:laugh:

13th Floor

Oct 10, 2008
Nothing personal bud!:nod:

We actually have a poster on the Devils forum who hypes up every rival team or even other team in the conference, especially if they go on a winning streak. So if the Rangers win their game tomorrow night, he'll probably be saying ''Watch out for the Rags, two wins in a row out in California on a tough road trip!''. He's currently doing that for the Islanders. He also kept saying the last two seasons that the Islanders were a playoff team the entire season, so if I were you, I'd be more mad at him for hyping your team, as he seems to be the kiss of death.:laugh:

We don't need the kiss of death, we can do that to ourselves. :) We have enough mushes on our board.

Reactions: Bleedred

Raccoon Jesus

Todd McLellan is an inside agent
Oct 30, 2008
I.E.
That's tough, Quick has always been one of my favorite goalies in the league.

Refreshing to hear because often all we hear is he's big overrated baby.

The guy is the consummate teammate, never complains, never throws anyone under the bus but himself. Sticks up for teammates more than anyone else on the Kings side of the ice. Heart of a champion. As close to a Hextall as we can have in the league these days really, and incredibly entertaining to boot. Love him or hate him, it's better when he's on the ice. But I'm absolutely biased. I just hope he's got something left after all this.

Mickey Marner

Jul 9, 2014
Dystopia
As I've stated, I've been doing a goals against review for every game and every goal against every goalie this season so far, after more than one person requested I review the goals and which ones were stoppable and which ones weren't. My point in doing this is that save percentage and ''Stoppable'' goals against will usually be congruent with one another over a long stretch of games.

I remember Quick was blown out in a few of these games and I think it was the Islanders and Stars games where I felt he really had no chance on any of the goals scored, but I think it was the Sabres game where I thought 3 of the 4 goals allowed were very stoppable.

He didn't fail the eye test on the other two games since he came back from injury. Might have just been bad luck or maybe he was suffering from immobility that made it hard for him to move around.

I was actually impressed with Campbell early on, but he's been pretty bad the last few games. I thought he allowed 2 stoppable goals and 1 of them was very ugly against the Rangers the other day. The Kings got the win in spite of him.

This is awesome. You should make a main board thread with the end results.

Reactions: Bleedred

Bleedred

Sponsor
May 1, 2011
This is awesome. You should make a main board thread with the end results.
I can definitely do that at the end of the year! It's kind of early to do it right now, but maybe one at the halfway mark might make sense?

I say that because while I do think there's a correlation between save percentage and a goalie playing poorly on the eyes, it's still too early in the season and I do believe a goalie can have a bad game or even a bad string of games where he's unlucky and gets blown up without playing poorly, but I believe it tends to even itself out in the long term. For instance, I thought Keith Kinkaid had a MISERABLE game against Nashville last week. I took a lot of heat on the Devils board from a couple posters for really talking about how poorly he played. He allowed 4 goals on 36 shots, which isn't terrible for just a single game (it's terrible over a stretch of games or god forbid an entire season, that's like Scott Darling level), but he played even worse on the eyes. 3 of the 4 goals he allowed were stoppable at the very least and one was absolutely atrocious. It was an OT loss and that's definitely one game where goaltending cost the Devils this year.

So then last night the Lightning score 7 goals on 36 shots against him and I only saw one goal I thought he could have stopped. Clearly the odds evening out right there. I've even noticed games where a goalie will allow 1 goal the entire game and it's stoppable. I felt that Rittich's only goal against last night was a stoppable one, as was the only goal Saros allowed last night.

Furthermore, it's not the blowout games where bad goaltending hurts you, it's the close games, where a goalie allows 3-4 goals and one or two are stoppable in a one non-empty net goal loss.

Osprey

Feb 18, 2005
What LA doesn't need right now is an excuse to not make changes. I already felt that it was unlikely that Blake would fire Stevens mid season, but that gets even more unlikely if he decides that missing their #1 goaltender is enough reason to not blame the coach. It might also mean that he won't make a trade until Quick returns (because "getting Quick back will be like acquiring an elite player"; I roll my eyes whenever GMs and coaches give lines like that). Then again, maybe excuses to not make changes are in LA's best interests right now, because what they really don't need is to turn the season around just enough to climb their way out of a top 10 pick in June.

Chimpradamus

Feb 16, 2006
Northern Sweden
As someone interested in goalies, I would consider Quick intriguing. Not in the quality like Lundqvist, but close enough, with high peaks and playing the shooting statistics in acrobatic style. The reason is, Quick's sprawling crab style might be good in the statistical moment of every shot, but not helping in the aspect of his longevity. Throwing yourself like he has, game in and game out, is not consistent to a long career, that will wear him out. He might've been unlucky in his multiple injuries, but I suspect his problem are his groins. The butterfly is considered unnatural and stressing on the human body in itself. Then you Quick's crab style, which is even more stressful.

Crab style might be statistically effective, but not if you want a long career. In that case, you need to remain upstanding for as long as you can manage as a goalie, because the human body is not a machine. I like Quick's unique style, but it's a shorter term career investment.

Sure, he was relevant for shorter, but he was an interesting goalie with his unique style. I don't think he has much time left before he calls it quits, unless his mind wills his body for longer than he should. And no, I don't think he's HHOF material. A franchise goalie at his peak, but not enough.

Last edited:

kingsholygrail

Fastest Series Loss 0-1
Sponsor
Dec 21, 2006
Derpifornia
As someone interested in goalies, I would consider Quick intriguing. Not in the quality like Lundqvist, but close enough, with high peaks and playing the shooting statistics in acrobatic style. The reason is, Quick's sprawling crab style might be good in the statistical moment of every shot, but not helping in the aspect of his longevity. Throwing yourself like he has, game in and game out, is not consistent to a long career, that will wear him out. He might've been unlucky in his multiple injuries, but I suspect his problem are his groins. The butterfly is considered unnatural and stressing on the human body in itself. Then you Quick's crab style, which is even more stressful.

Crab style might be statistically effective, but not if you want a long career. In that case, you need to remain upstanding for as long as you can manage as a goalie, because the human body is not a machine. I like Quick's unique style, but it's a shorter term career investment.

Sure, he was relevant for shorter, but he was an interesting goalie with his unique style. I don't think he has much time left before he calls it quits, unless his mind wills his body for longer than he should. And no, I don't think he's HHOF material. A franchise goalie at his peak, but not enough.

He'll likely have to modify his style and I think he has a little since tearing each of his groin muscles. He doesn't do those splits as frequently as he used to. If he's got anything going for him, health wise, is he hasn't had repeat injuries in the same area. Each leg had a groin injury. He had his wrist injury from the 2012 playoffs(recovered in the off season) and now the meniscus. So it's not like he keeps getting a groin injury in the same area or something. He also hasn't had hip problems yet, which I think is usually the big game ender for goalies. You're absolutely right though in that his favored style is very hard on his body.

The Burdened

May 1, 2017
god damnit Kovy why did you have to pick the Kings?

It's like he thought to himself "last time I was in NHL Kings & Rangers were great. I will pick between them and will win Cup."

should have signed in Tampa for cheap.

lawrence

May 19, 2012
Jack Campbell and Peter Budaj will make a great tandem to get Hughes.

Bachman + Markstrom is even better! I bet you never even heard of the name "Richard Bachman" before.

that being said I feel a little bit for the Kings. They are not a tanking or rebuilding team especially with signing of Kovalchuk.

Filthy Dangles

Registered User*
Oct 23, 2014
Bobrovsky, Sergei.

FrailHealthyChicken-small.gif

bland

Jul 1, 2004
Goaltending hasn't been an issue for the Kings, with or without Quick, for nearly a decade. I believe Enroth is the only goalie who hasn't posted similar or superior numbers to Quick since 2013.

Not criticizing Quick at all. One hell of a goalie with real determination and grit. This is his fourth major injury since the first Cup, and an athletic goalie who relies on his reflexes who always plays through pain will suffer these kinds of problems more and more often.

That ten year deal was the first of Lombardi's costly errors.

Angry Hockey Dad

Eat up Johnny
May 30, 2013
Canada
Refreshing to hear because often all we hear is he's big overrated baby.

The guy is the consummate teammate, never complains, never throws anyone under the bus but himself. Sticks up for teammates more than anyone else on the Kings side of the ice. Heart of a champion. As close to a Hextall as we can have in the league these days really, and incredibly entertaining to boot. Love him or hate him, it's better when he's on the ice. But I'm absolutely biased. I just hope he's got something left after all this.

I might like him even more now. Wasn't aware he was such a team player.

pbgoalie

Aug 8, 2010
Too bad......could see the struggle
I know it’s sacrilage, but I do t want to see a goalie like Quick go down like this

TomasHertlsRooster

Don’t say eye test when you mean points
May 14, 2012
Fremont, CA
https://hfboards.mandatory.com/threads/out-of-town-scoreboard-2018-19-part-ii.2556253/page-23

I review all goals against in the out of town scoreboard thread on the Devils forum, if you're interested. I don't have a youtube channel or a blog or anything. It would be too long of a post to go over every goal and why it was stoppable, so I just list for instance ''7 goals against Kinkaid, 1 was stoppable'' or ''3 goals against Jones, 1 is stoppable'' and do that for all goalies in every game. My favorite team is the Devils and since I am no longer a believer in Schneider and I think he's shot at this point and don't really think Kinkaid is better than a solid backup, I'm definitely not a homer with them. In fact, I've been accused of dinging them on goals that are ''Not really stoppable''.

And my second favorite team is the Sharks and I'm a very LOUD Martin Jones critic. I don't see Jones as anything better than a league average starter and I rant every time I see him listed as a ''Top-10 goalie'' or Kevin Weekes calling him a ''Top-8 guy in the league'' on TV. So I'm pretty non-biased, I think, even if some have the opinion that some of the goals I'm counting stoppable are not really stoppable. I find that I'm not very liberal with screens and shots that go past a goalie through a screen. Dubnyk gave up a goal through a screen the other night against the Wild and I didn't think he should have been screened there. I will excuse it if there is a maze of player or a guy right in the goalies face, but I really don't absolve the goalie of blame on a shot from 30 feet out, with the guy screening 25 feet out, like some people believe I should do.

I feel like I asked you before, but maybe I didn’t; are you a goaltender? I notice like half of your posts are about NHL goaltenders, and most of them are extremely critical. What fascinates you so much about the position?

I would love to see the research when it is done, btw.

Bleedred

Sponsor
May 1, 2011
I feel like I asked you before, but maybe I didn’t; are you a goaltender? I notice like half of your posts are about NHL goaltenders, and most of them are extremely critical. What fascinates you so much about the position?

I would love to see the research when it is done, btw.
I played a little bit back in the day (not professionally or even amateur or anything like that haha), I wasn't very good, because I was kid/fat dude for most of my life. If I was in the shape I'm in today, I MIGHT have been able to be decent, but I'm older now haha.

I'm not necessarily critical of all goalies, but I'm VERY LOUD AND OUTSPOKEN about the ones I am critical of. Like as you know, Martin Jones for example. I don't hate Martin Jones, but I hate having to read how he's elite and top-10 or top-8 or whatever, when the guy is dead average. I do hate when goalies like Mike Smith get overrated. Not that he's overrated anymore, but he was about 4 or 5 years ago. Or Cam Ward before his career took a huge nosedive.I am also very critical of goalies that wear huge equipment and the out of control chest protector with shoulder risers and big pants and jerseys (Mike Smith says hello on all of these). Lundqvist is actually one goalie that I really respect out of all the goalies with the large equipment, because he's actually really good and has proven it. These other guys just have a few good seasons or less than that. Ben Bishop is another one I can't stand. Patrick Roy was one of the first really large equipment goalies, but the guy was a legend. He wasn't a few good years like Mike Smith or Ben Bishop. Which is why I do respect Martin Jones among other goalies his size, even though he's just average, but so are those other guys like Smith and Bishop.

I remember when Luongo looked like the goodyear blimp back in the day, now he's pretty average size among goalies today.:laugh:

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad