Jonathan Quick out indefinitely

Brodeur

Feb 27, 2002
San Diego
Meniscus is an odd one. I've seen people quite active after surgery two weeks later. Also seen people having issues months later.

Anthony Stolarz missed most of last season with a pair of meniscus surgeries. Apparently the second time, he tore his meniscus while getting into his car.

Raccoon Jesus

Todd McLellan is an inside agent
Oct 30, 2008
I.E.
Which is ironic, since a lot of people argue that butterfly goalies are the one that the game takes a heavier toll on.

For butterfly goalies it's their knees though. It WAS Quick's knee in this case, but it's usually his groin exploding, which surprises no one.

What the guy has accomplished in spite of injury is crazy though. Finished 2012 out laying down in the aisle of planes on team flights after carrying the team most of the year, has back surgery in offseason. Slow start in 2013 coming off that, blew up in the playoffs again until he ran into the Hawks woodchipper. 2014 is when he started having the groin issue IIRC, allowing JOnes and Scrivens the spotlight, but he came back and started 72 freaking games the next year, then 68 the following, before losing most of 2016-2017...calling Peter Budaj. Then somehow, after all of that, posted his 2nd-best season last year and was phenomenal on into the playoffs...and here we are. Such a roller coaster ride.

Bleedred

Travis Green BLOWS! Bring back Nasreddine!
Sponsor
May 1, 2011
For butterfly goalies it's their knees though. It WAS Quick's knee in this case, but it's usually his groin exploding, which surprises no one.

What the guy has accomplished in spite of injury is crazy though. Finished 2012 out laying down in the aisle of planes on team flights after carrying the team most of the year, has back surgery in offseason. Slow start in 2013 coming off that, blew up in the playoffs again until he ran into the Hawks woodchipper. 2014 is when he started having the groin issue IIRC, allowing JOnes and Scrivens the spotlight, but he came back and started 72 freaking games the next year, then 68 the following, before losing most of 2016-2017...calling Peter Budaj. Then somehow, after all of that, posted his 2nd-best season last year and was phenomenal on into the playoffs...and here we are. Such a roller coaster ride.
Why was he laying down in the aisle of the team plane on flights? I never heard that one before!

13th Floor

Oct 10, 2008
As I've stated, I've been doing a goals against review for every game and every goal against every goalie this season so far, after more than one person requested I review the goals and which ones were stoppable and which ones weren't. My point in doing this is that save percentage and ''Stoppable'' goals against will usually be congruent with one another over a long stretch of games.

I remember Quick was blown out in a few of these games and I think it was the Islanders and Stars games where I felt he really had no chance on any of the goals scored, but I think it was the Sabres game where I thought 3 of the 4 goals allowed were very stoppable.

He didn't fail the eye test on the other two games since he came back from injury. Might have just been bad luck or maybe he was suffering from immobility that made it hard for him to move around.

I was actually impressed with Campbell early on, but he's been pretty bad the last few games. I thought he allowed 2 stoppable goals and 1 of them was very ugly against the Rangers the other day. The Kings got the win in spite of him.

Pretty cool. Are you posting this analysis somewhere?

Kingsfan1

Oct 1, 2006
Staples Center
Hughes to LA.

I wish . Explains why Quick has looked terrible this season. Tried to play thru the injury . Unfortunately Hughes will probably go to Detroit . I don’t think Kings will be as bad as Detroit but most definitely are not making the playoffs this year . Good year to get a top 5 pick from what I understand . And Kupari has 12 pts in 16 games so theres that. Look forward to next year .

Bleedred

Sponsor
May 1, 2011
Pretty cool. Are you posting this analysis somewhere?
https://hfboards.mandatory.com/threads/out-of-town-scoreboard-2018-19-part-ii.2556253/page-23

I review games every night, once the last game has ended for the night the highlight videos are up, unless it's a game I watched live, then I don't need the highlight video, obviously. Sometimes I'll rewatch anyway. I try to watch all angles and replays, so I can be sure. On nights where there's 11 games (like last night), it takes me about an hour to do it. I'm sure tonight's game (which I'll live, since it's the only game on the NHL schedule of the entire night) will be a quick and short review. I've been doing it since the season started this year. If I go to bed early or don't have time that night, I'll review the next day.

One mistake I made, which I'm gonna have to go back and this might take me an hour or two one day soon, is I need to track down all stoppable goals against for each goalie and keep a log, so that I can look at it after the year ends. That way we can see if the goalies with poor save percentages high percentage of stoppable goals and vice versa. And I think I'll find most (with some exceptions and obviously more exceptions for goalies who didn't play a sizable number of games) of the goalie with lower save percentage allow more stoppable goals than the ones that have higher ones and vice versa. So I'm gonna have to go through my reviews soon and tally them up to this point and we can look at the end of the year.

I've been tracking these goals against for Devils goalies for years now and found that in the years Brodeur's decline started, his stoppable goal rates went up by A LOT to corroborate the poor play on paper. Same with Schneider recently. The last good year Schneider had, I think less than 20% of the goals he allowed were stoppable. That number is up to close to 30% of the last two years that he's had his save percentage go down the toilet.

Reactions: Monsieur Gustave H

Bleedred

Sponsor
May 1, 2011
I wish . Explains why Quick has looked terrible this season. Tried to play thru the injury . Unfortunately Hughes will probably go to Detroit . I don’t think Kings will be as bad as Detroit but most definitely are not making the playoffs this year . Good year to get a top 5 pick from what I understand . And Kupari has 12 pts in 16 games so theres that. Look forward to next year .
Anybody out of the playoffs (with much better odds at bottom 5) can win the draft lottery, so I wouldn't necessarily already bet Hughes to Detroit, even if they do finish dead last.

Reactions: Kingsfan1

KingPuckChoo

Go kinGs Go !
Jun 24, 2007

Kings accept that challenge

13th Floor

Oct 10, 2008
https://hfboards.mandatory.com/threads/out-of-town-scoreboard-2018-19-part-ii.2556253/page-23

I review games every night, once the last game has ended for the night the highlight videos are up, unless it's a game I watched live, then I don't need the highlight video, obviously. Sometimes I'll rewatch anyway. I try to watch all angles and replays, so I can be sure. On nights where there's 11 games (like last night), it takes me about an hour to do it. I'm sure tonight's game (which I'll live, since it's the only game on the NHL schedule of the entire night) will be a quick and short review. I've been doing it since the season started this year. If I go to bed early or don't have time that night, I'll review the next day.

One mistake I made, which I'm gonna have to go back and this might take me an hour or two one day soon, is I need to track down all stoppable goals against for each goalie and keep a log, so that I can look at it after the year ends. That way we can see if the goalies with poor save percentages high percentage of stoppable goals and vice versa. And I think I'll find most (with some exceptions and obviously more exceptions for goalies who didn't play a sizable number of games) of the goalie with lower save percentage allow more stoppable goals than the ones that have higher ones and vice versa. So I'm gonna have to go through my reviews soon and tally them up to this point and we can look at the end of the year.

I've been tracking these goals against for Devils goalies for years now and found that in the years Brodeur's decline started, his stoppable goal rates went up by A LOT to corroborate the poor play on paper. Same with Schneider recently. The last good year Schneider had, I think less than 20% of the goals he allowed were stoppable. That number is up to close to 30% of the last two years that he's had his save percentage go down the toilet.

That's pretty cool. I'll have to check it out, thanks for sharing.

Reactions: Bleedred

Bleedred

Sponsor
May 1, 2011
That's pretty cool. I'll have to check it out, thanks for sharing.
No problem! Thanks for reading, if you do!:nod:

You can just look through that thread and go through the posts of prior nights of action, I think I've made a post every night this season, but that thread only goes back to October 14th!

hotcabbagesoup

why u guys want Celebrini, he played like a weenie
Feb 18, 2009
Reno, Nevada

Sometimes we forget, but Quick also logged time as the starting goalie for the US national team those years. Truly an American hero.

Is there an article floating around about the bolded? I'd like to read it if there is.

Bleedred

Sponsor
May 1, 2011
If you want BleedRed's analysis on his favorite Sharks goalie, Martin Jones, you can come to the Sharks board too. We get plenty of it. :laugh::laugh:
I don't even hate Jones, I actually appreciate Jones more than most goalies his size (*cough* Mike Smith and Ben Bishop *cough*) for not being a padded monster and wearing a size XXXXXXXXXXXXXXXLLLLLLLLLLLL jersey and big pants and excessive shoulder rise on the chest protector. I just don't think he's a top-10 goalie in the league, I just think he's average as far as starters go. He's not bad enough to be in the camp with the worst goalies in the league, but I also think there's at least 8-10 goalies definitely better than him and about 15-17 that are really no better or no worse than him.

It seems it's more the non-Sharks fans who think he's better than actual Sharks fans. They see the Sharks are a playoff team every year, made the Finals (he played great that playoffs and regular season and that was his best season as a Shark, his first year) and are really good, so they automatically assume they have an elite goalie playing there. Niemi was overrated by non-Sharks fans while he was a Shark too. I think every goalie on a stacked team gets overrated, with the exception of Corey Crawford, who people underrate because he's on (or was, not sure I'd call them stacked anymore) a stacked team.

Reactions: Monsieur Gustave H

Raccoon Jesus

Todd McLellan is an inside agent
Oct 30, 2008
I.E.

hotcabbagesoup

why u guys want Celebrini, he played like a weenie
Feb 18, 2009
Reno, Nevada
I don't even hate Jones, I actually appreciate Jones more than most goalies his size (*cough* Mike Smith and Ben Bishop *cough*) for not being a padded monster and wearing a size XXXXXXXXXXXXXXXLLLLLLLLLLLL jersey and big pants and excessive shoulder rise on the chest protector. I just don't think he's a top-10 goalie in the league, I just think he's average as far as starters go. He's not bad enough to be in the camp with the worst goalies in the league, but I also think there's at least 8-10 goalies definitely better than him and about 15-17 that are really no better or no worse than him.

It seems it's more the non-Sharks fans who think he's better than actual Sharks fans. They see the Sharks are a playoff team every year, made the Finals (he played great that playoffs and regular season and that was his best season as a Shark, his first year) and are really good, so they automatically assume they have an elite goalie playing there. Niemi was overrated by non-Sharks fans while he was a Shark too. I think every goalie on a stacked team gets overrated, with the exception of Corey Crawford, who people underrate because he's on (or was, not sure I'd call them stacked anymore) a stacked team.

I do agree with this. I looked at Jones' year-to-year regular season SV% recently and it's surprisingly average when I thought it would be much better.

Little Psycho

I solemnly swear I'm up to no good
Feb 4, 2007
Non-Yah
Sometimes we forget, but Quick also logged time as the starting goalie for the US national team those years. Truly an American hero.

Is there an article floating around about the bolded? I'd like to read it if there is.
Can't find the article but I remember reading about it when it came out.

13th Floor

Oct 10, 2008
No problem! Thanks for reading, if you do!:nod:

You can just look through that thread and go through the posts of prior nights of action, I think I've made a post every night this season, but that thread only goes back to October 14th!

Pfsh, invite me to a thread with all your posts saying my Isles are bad. I was bamboozled! :laugh:

Reactions: Bleedred

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad