News Article: Jonathan Quick on Max Pacioretty (The Players Tribune)

LaP

Jun 27, 2012
Quebec City, Canada
Looks like Quick is doing boxscore scouting. :sarcasm:

Pacioretty scores most of his goal at ES, but mostly on the rush. Rarely "in tight".

At his defense he did not say Patch is scoring goals "in tight" areas. He said space is tighter at 5 on 5 (than 5 on 4) which is true. Patch has the speed and instinct to give himself space something most players don't

He is one of the most natural skaters i've ever seen. The speed at which he can skate without any effort is impressive. Most players need to work their *** off to skate that fast. Patch? It looks like he is just gliding then boom all of a sudden he is alone in a good position to shot without any stick to deflect it.

Last edited:

le_sean

Oct 21, 2006
You're missing the point. You criticize him for not putting on enough effort in his goals. The fact is that no matter how hard you try, the end result is the same. And in Kane's case, a "shot that would have been stopped by any goalie in the league" won his team a Stanley Cup. Weirdly, those "shots that should have been stopped by any goalie in the league" are often scored by the best players in the league... Hmmm... coincidence?

As stated above, the support he gets is the main reason he's being criticized. And as much as people point it on Desharnais here (which to an extent, is warranted), when you consider salaries, experience and leadership, the real elephant is the room is Plekanec, who's been underwhelming his entire career in the postseason.

No, I'm criticizing his overall effort. I was reiterating that his goals were not due to any extra effort either.

MSLs absurd thighs

Formerly Tough Au Lit
Feb 4, 2013
No, I'm criticizing his overall effort. I was reiterating that his goals were not due to any extra effort either.

And to that I say; I don't give a crap. He can score 30 goals with the puck bouncing off his ass for all I care. People keep saying "This or that goal should never have been one". Fact is, those goal scorers are the ones always pulling off those goals, and there's a reason why.

Jakomyte

Dec 14, 2004
Toronto
You can bring up stats all you want, but he's not a go-to guy in the playoffs, it's just not his kind of game. He thrives on space and miscues and those barely happen. He'd be a fantastic complimentary piece on a Cup contender though. But to rely on him as your source of offence? You won't get anywhere.

We've had to rely on him as our only source of offence for the last two years, and we've gotten to the 3rd round and 2nd round of the playoffs. Fans might want more, but that's still pretty good compared to most of the league. And that's relying on Pacioretty as the only consistent source of offence. I'd say that's pretty impressive (for him).

If you did a one-for-one swap of Pacioretty for any other top offensive playoff performer in the league (Kane, Carter, etc.), do you really think they would be much more successful? Playing with the rest of our roster and with our coach?

Pacioretty is very far from being the problem. The Habs need MORE players like him if they want to be an actual offensive force in the future. Here's hoping Galchenyuk can occupy some of that space soon.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad