Player Discussion: Jonathan Marchessault

More 2004

Stamkos Apologist
May 3, 2004
Tampa
Why Florida let him and Smith go is still mind-baffling to me.
^ yep.

I don't think he would of ever been this player here in Tampa. So I have no regrets. Just happy he made his niche out there and is showing he can really play. Always like the kid. (but I always like our players lol)

Reactions: Outl4w

The Gongshow

Fire JBB
Jul 17, 2014
Toronto
^ yep.

I don't think he would of ever been this player here in Tampa. So I have no regrets. Just happy he made his niche out there and is showing he can really play. Always like the kid. (but I always like our players lol)
Agreed, our top 6 is just too crowded and with the addition of Point and Gourde we really don't miss Marchy or Drouin. We're stacked at forward.

Glad to see him thriving in Vegas tho, always liked the kid

Hoek

Legendary Poster A
May 12, 2003
Tampa, FL
We didn't "let him go" he chose to go. Little different than what Florida did. Unless you think we should have made him some off the wall offer for what his role was here.

Sky04

Jan 8, 2009
We didn't "let him go" he chose to go. Little different than what Florida did. Unless you think we should have made him some off the wall offer for what his role was here.

He brought a ton of energy to our lineup and produced well when not stapled to the 4th line. I definitely think we could've enticed him with a better offer considering he was producing at a higher rate then guys being paid nearly twice as much in Boyle, Brown, Callahan and Condra who were in the lineup.

Definitely think it was mistake allowing him to walk away, not a costly one but still dropped the ball on a player of that caliber.

Last edited:
Reactions: Sila v Kucherove

TampaJay

Jan 16, 2016
Yup. In fact if you remember, JM was what started the whole Drouin saga. JM came up due to injuries and by the time everyone was healthy, he’d been up so long that he would have to clear waivers to get sent down. Instead of risking losing him, or “letting him go” YM sent Drouin down because he was waiver exempt. I do blame Cooper for underusing JM. Even he wasn’t in the top 6, he should have been on the PP. And no way should the groomsman been in the lineup ahead of him.

Five Alarm Fire

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jun 17, 2009
I've been pretty busy with university stuff so I haven't been able to check out any training camp footage, but Jonathan Marchessault's name keeps sticking out to me. Can anybody tell me what the deal is with this kid- his style of play, his chance of making the team, his potential?

I'd say he turned out pretty good.

Peacefool

Nov 15, 2019
JAM and Verhaeghe. Two names that cause me to shake my head and wonder what were the Lightning thinking.
Without them we won 2 cups. Who should they replace,Point,Palat,Stamkos,Kuch? They arent 3rd 4th line players,good for them,but they werent better than players we had/have

Sky04

Jan 8, 2009
Without them we won 2 cups. Who should they replace,Point,Palat,Stamkos,Kuch? They arent 3rd 4th line players,good for them,but they werent better than players we had/have

JAM won a Conn Smythe. What did Stamkos do? Get carried to one cup?

And Verhaghe won a cup here.

DrMartinVanNostrand

Kramerica Industries
Oct 6, 2017
Tampa, FL

rTCeC8r.gif

@Hoek

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad