Player Discussion: Jonathan Marchessault

CupsOverCash

Jun 16, 2009
I'm happy that he's doing well. Wish it was with us instead. What can you do? It won't be the first time or the last time something like that happens.

HoseEmDown

Mar 25, 2012
Coburn was pretty good that year in the playoffs. I have zero problems saying he was better than what Gudas would've brought in that run. Coburn was good. Now it's a different story, I'd take Gudas back but you can't say we could've used him when we needed defense as well and got Coburn in return.

He was but Yzerman was an idiot for trading Connolly for a couple of 2nd's just to do the Coburn trade. He could've waited till the offseason to deal Connolly, sure he might not have gotten two 2nd's but Spencer and Katchouk weren't gonna help us win the cup while Connolly could've. He traded DeAngelo for a 2nd last draft, we've had five 2nd round picks the last two years. Those picks and players are nice but when you're going for it they aren't as nice as someone who can help you now.

Werewolf

Oct 29, 2013
Tampa
The Lightning are getting the track record ... put in your time and we'll turn you into a NHL player. Marchessault came here as a tiny forward who wasn't going to be given an opportunity for a club like Columbus that likes the bigger bodies. We gave this kid the opportunity and developed him into a NHL forward. Marchessault isn't better than Killorn, Stamkos, Drouin, Palat, Johnson, Kucherov, Callahan, Filp, Boyle, etc. He went to a team where he could earn minutes and he took advantage. We'll be doing the same with Gourde, Peca, Bournival, etc. etc.

I hope the Lightning get the reputation of developing these skilled smallish forwards - Syracuse will get a ton of free agent skill and Lightning roster will continue to have depth. Connolly for two seconds was highway robbery at the time ... if I'm not mistaken we turned the two seconds into Spencer and Raddysh.

Tampbear

Apr 10, 2015
Tampa
The Lightning are getting the track record ... put in your time and we'll turn you into a NHL player. Marchessault came here as a tiny forward who wasn't going to be given an opportunity for a club like Columbus that likes the bigger bodies. We gave this kid the opportunity and developed him into a NHL forward. Marchessault isn't better than Killorn, Stamkos, Drouin, Palat, Johnson, Kucherov, Callahan, Filp, Boyle, etc. He went to a team where he could earn minutes and he took advantage. We'll be doing the same with Gourde, Peca, Bournival, etc. etc.

I hope the Lightning get the reputation of developing these skilled smallish forwards - Syracuse will get a ton of free agent skill and Lightning roster will continue to have depth. Connolly for two seconds was highway robbery at the time ... if I'm not mistaken we turned the two seconds into Spencer and Raddysh.

It's funny you guys feel that way about Connolly because Bruins fans feel the same way about Tampa getting two seconds for him. He hardly even played for Boston that year after breaking his hand in his first practice from a slapshot from Seidenberg. I wish his time in Boston had gone better but it looks like he found a home for himself finally anyway.

VoluntaryDom

Formerly DominicBoltsFan / Ⓐ / ✞
Oct 31, 2016
Tampa FL

Nah the second one was Boris Katchouk, who is solid, but no Raddysh (who we used our own second on, IIRC).

LTIR Trickery

Plz stop pucks
Jun 27, 2007
Scrip Club
Rumor is that the full court press was put on to try to keep him but the Lightning weren't keen on the 2nd year of the deal. They were frustrated that he chose Florida. Oddly enough, the 2nd year of the deal he wanted is going to cost him a lot of money. He bet against himself just prior to a breakout season. The fact that he didn't skate in the playoffs a lot really turned him off of the Lightning for depth reasons. He didn't envision getting the opportunity.
false
Not really, he wasn't going to get a chance here. JAM wasn't going to sign here and Yzerman can't see the future.

He signed for a 3rd line role in Florida with oppertunity over a what was at the time a permanent 4th line role in Tampa, hard decision eh?
also false
We did make him an offer. He went with Florida for the opportunity. I'm putting this one on Cooper too.

There was a point last year where we really needed some scoring and were scratching Marchessault in favor of guys like Condra. These things worry me with Cooper. I think he's been better this year though (Point), so maybe a lot of the "never play young forwards in a scoring role" thing was coming from Thomas.
He got a guaranteed one way offer for multiple years and took it. We couldn't offer him the same guarantees.

Well, sometimes.

VoluntaryDom

Oct 31, 2016
Tampa FL
He was but Yzerman was an idiot for trading Connolly for a couple of 2nd's just to do the Coburn trade. He could've waited till the offseason to deal Connolly, sure he might not have gotten two 2nd's but Spencer and Katchouk weren't gonna help us win the cup while Connolly could've. He traded DeAngelo for a 2nd last draft, we've had five 2nd round picks the last two years. Those picks and players are nice but when you're going for it they aren't as nice as someone who can help you now.

But they were Stephens, Spencer, Hajek, Katchouk and Raddysh, all very good prospects. Add that onto 3rd rounders Yan, Cirelli and Ingram, and our prospect pool is loaded simply off of 2nds and 3rds.

HoseEmDown

Mar 25, 2012
But they were Stephens, Spencer, Hajek, Katchouk and Raddysh, all very good prospects. Add that onto 3rd rounders Yan, Cirelli and Ingram, and our prospect pool is loaded simply off of 2nds and 3rds.

Our prospect pool is much better than it was, I'm not arguing that. We traded someone who was 7th on the entire team in goals scored at that point and I think 2nd in goals per 60 on the team. We were trying to win the cup that year, depth scoring is much more important than filling the prospect pool. Most teams trade picks for players not the other way around, Connolly was going to be an RFA so we could've recouped at least one of those picks after the season if not more depending on how he did in the playoffs. Unless Spencer and Katchouk lead us to a cup win it was a dumb move, not saying Connolly would've won us the cup but we needed scoring in the Chicago series and he could've helped.

Todd1a

Kucherov or prospect
Jun 19, 2014
orlando, fl
Jonathan Marchessault Thought I’d give him a congratulations on his new contract! Would you guys have preferred to pay him over Alex killorn?

Todd1a

Kucherov or prospect
Jun 19, 2014
orlando, fl
At the time he got paid 750k a year from Florida in fa if we didn’t resign killorn we would have had plenty of cash for him

Sky04

Jan 8, 2009
Sucks that we lost him, was a huge supporter of him since his first call-up. But either way him and Gourde have paved the way for these older high scoring AHLers, the more success he has the better our farm system looks.

I don't think he finds anywhere near the same success here but it's still crazy to see he's already at 40 points on the season, he'd be the leading scorer on over half the teams in the NHL.

There's a common trend among these "out of nowhere surprises", their ability to create chances at the NHL level. Bourneval and Vermin were warm bodys and fresh legs, they skate hard but don't really create, Gourde and JAM had lots of jump to their game. Peca is someone else who I'd want to see again, he showed the same traits.

Hoek

Legendary Poster A
May 12, 2003
Tampa, FL
We gotta stop crying over the one that got away when we've struck gold on so many. Much worse to be in the Panthers' shoes.

VoluntaryDom

Oct 31, 2016
Tampa FL
Sucks that we lost him, was a huge supporter of him since his first call-up. But either way him and Gourde have paved the way for these older high scoring AHLers, the more success he has the better our farm system looks.

I don't think he finds anywhere near the same success here but it's still crazy to see he's already at 40 points on the season, he'd be the leading scorer on over half the teams in the NHL.

There's a common trend among these "out of nowhere surprises", their ability to create chances at the NHL level. Bourneval and Vermin were warm bodys and fresh legs, they skate hard but don't really create, Gourde and JAM had lots of jump to their game. Peca is someone else who I'd want to see again, he showed the same traits.
Disagree on Vermin. He looked good here.

DFC

Sep 26, 2013
NB
Meh. I'm happy he's doing well, but we wound up with something very similar in Yanni Gourde. We can't afford every $5m player in the league.

These Are The Days

Oh no! We suck again!!
May 17, 2014
Tampa Bay
I'm okay with us letting him go because the Panthers messed up by not protecting him as well.

*lights a smoke and kicks feet up on table in satisfaction*

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad