Jonathan Isaac was the only player standing during the anthem

The Burdened

May 1, 2017
as unpopular as it is to the social mob, it takes a certain amount of courage.

Tony Dungy being a voice of reason once again

Reactions: Voight

Terry Yake

Aug 5, 2013
him standing is his choice obviously and he shouldn't be vilified for it

but his reasoning is just dumb. i expect michael porter jr will be the second player to stand

Voight

#winning
Feb 8, 2012
Mulberry Street
He's not wrong and kudos for him for doing what he wanted and not giving into the pressure. Freedom of religion is a thing after all.

Mickey Marner

Jul 9, 2014
Dystopia
Freedom and equality means having the ability to express yourself without persecution.

Accepting that people are allowed to have thoughts, feelings & beliefs that you don't agree with is a prerequisite for becoming a mentally well-adjusted adult.

The trolls calling him MAGA, Nazi etc. are racist themselves as they believe a person should behave a certain way based on the colour of their skin.

Voight

#winning
Feb 8, 2012
Mulberry Street
Freedom and equality means having the ability to express yourself without persecution.

Accepting that people are allowed to have thoughts, feelings & beliefs that you don't agree with is a prerequisite for becoming a mentally well-adjusted adult.

The trolls calling him MAGA, Nazi etc. are racist themselves as they believe a person should behave a certain way based on the colour of their skin.

Same people who believe they should support a certain party or people based on the color of their skin.

But I absolutely cannot stand the idiots who are now saying his season-ending injury is karma. Like what the hell is wrong with people? He deserves pain & suffering because he exercised his rights and did what he wanted? :facepalm:

bleedblue1223

Jan 21, 2011
because jesus and organized religion are not the answer to ending racism, police brutality, etc
He's saying if everyone followed the gospel, word of god, Jesus, and we all treated each other better, then it would be solved. He's not wrong, but that's also not realistic. To the same point, wearing a shirt isn't going to change anything either.

Terry Yake

Aug 5, 2013
He's saying if everyone followed the gospel, word of god, Jesus, and we all treated each other better, then it would be solved. He's not wrong, but that's also not realistic. To the same point, wearing a shirt isn't going to change anything either.
exactly, he's not being realistic

no, wearing a shirt won't change anything. but BLM as a whole has indeed made a difference over these last few months and has led to change in some areas. to me, the whole religion thing is just a cop out

bleedblue1223

Jan 21, 2011
exactly, he's not being realistic

no, wearing a shirt won't change anything. but BLM as a whole has indeed made a difference over these last few months and has led to change in some areas. to me, the whole religion thing is just a cop out
Disagree on the change, nothing really has changed. Unfortunately we'll be in this same spot in the nearish future again. There needs to be more of a political endgame strategy and that's been lacking for years.

It's not a cop out, Isaac is a Christian, he believes it, and he's active in the community with it. People can disagree with it, but it's not empty words for him.

Terry Yake

Aug 5, 2013
Disagree on the change, nothing really has changed. Unfortunately we'll be in this same spot in the nearish future again. There needs to be more of a political endgame strategy and that's been lacking for years.

It's not a cop out, Isaac is a Christian, he believes it, and he's active in the community with it. People can disagree with it, but it's not empty words for him.
change as in the protests and everything that happened since june has led to far more people opening their eyes for the first time to issues like systemic racism and police brutality and realizing that these issues do indeed exist and are a serious problem within society

it's pretty easy to look up just how much public opinion of BLM has changed in the last few months. saying nothing has changed is just not true

bleedblue1223

Jan 21, 2011
change as in the protests and everything that happened since june has led to far more people opening their eyes for the first time to issues like systemic racism and police brutality and realizing that these issues do indeed exist and are a serious problem within society

it's pretty easy to look up just how much public opinion of BLM has changed in the last few months. saying nothing has changed is just not true
Public opinion of BLM as an organization or a movement isn't actual change though. We've been down this road before with Ferguson, Eric Garner, Freddie Gray, Philando Castile, etc., that's why I say nothing has changed and I'm pessimistic about potential change during these protests. From what I see, there was a big spike in positive views after George Floyd, but after riots and incidents like that Louisville Cuban restaurant, support has stagnated and people opposing has increased.

Terry Yake

Aug 5, 2013
Public opinion of BLM as an organization or a movement isn't actual change though. We've been down this road before with Ferguson, Eric Garner, Freddie Gray, Philando Castile, etc., that's why I say nothing has changed and I'm pessimistic about potential change during these protests. From what I see, there was a big spike in positive views after George Floyd, but after riots and incidents like that Louisville Cuban restaurant, support has stagnated and people opposing has increased.
yes it is change. because it shows that people are realizing that these are very serious problems in our country and are no longer ignoring them because "it doesn't affect me so why should i care?" none of those past incidents have resulted in this much of a change in public opinion towards BLM and the issues they focus on quite like the george floyd murder.

do you have a source that shows support for BLM has decreased? i'd be interested in seeing that

Blackhawkswincup

RIP Fugu
Jun 24, 2007
Chicagoland
because jesus and organized religion are not the answer to ending racism, police brutality, etc

On flip side arson , vandalism , attacking police officers and calling for disbanding/defunding of police does nothing to end racism , police brutality , etc

Also kneeling during anthem does not end it either

Fascinating how media has spun it that now standing for anthem is considered wrong

bleedblue1223

Jan 21, 2011
yes it is change. because it shows that people are realizing that these are very serious problems in our country and are no longer ignoring them because "it doesn't affect me so why should i care?" none of those past incidents have resulted in this much of a change in public opinion towards BLM and the issues they focus on quite like the george floyd murder.

do you have a source that shows support for BLM has decreased? i'd be interested in seeing that
My take is that, that same change happened on many other of these incidents and then people eventually just return to their normal lives. Awareness was never the issue, maybe for people that were in communities completely gated off from this. I think the George Floyd incident was just special because of a combo of how absurd it was and COVID going on at the same time.

Civiqs. As soon as protests turned into riots, public opinion saw a pretty significant shift too.

Terry Yake

Aug 5, 2013
My take is that, that same change happened on many other of these incidents and then people eventually just return to their normal lives. Awareness was never the issue, maybe for people that were in communities completely gated off from this. I think the George Floyd incident was just special because of a combo of how absurd it was and COVID going on at the same time.

Civiqs. As soon as protests turned into riots, public opinion saw a pretty significant shift too.
awareness is very important. because without people being aware of these issues, we won't have any chance at all of seeing any significant change

look at where those #s are now compared to a couple years ago, and even a year ago. you can clearly see how the events of the last few months have led to people being more aware. it's a step in the right direction for sure

bleedblue1223

Jan 21, 2011
awareness is very important. because without people being aware of these issues, we won't have any chance at all of seeing any significant change

look at where those #s are now compared to a couple years ago, and even a year ago. you can clearly see how the events of the last few months have led to people being more aware. it's a step in the right direction for sure
Awareness is not the same as support for BLM. The vast majority oc our country is aware were are involved in some BS wars, but that's not going to do anything to stop them, that's why I say awareness doesn't really do much.

Terry Yake

Aug 5, 2013
Awareness is not the same as support for BLM. The vast majority oc our country is aware were are involved in some BS wars, but that's not going to do anything to stop them, that's why I say awareness doesn't really do much.
awareness is a start. like i said, if people aren't aware of these issues then we have zero chance of ever seeing any change

and with more awareness has come more support for BLM, as seen by the numbers. there will always be racism, but it's certainly a step in the right direction when people actually realize what a problem it is compared to brushing it off or acting like it doesn't exist

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad