Value of: Jonathan Drouin

Kairi Zaide

Unforgiven
Aug 11, 2009
Quebec City
Tyler Johnson wasn't claimed because noone in this landscape can add cap without subtracting some cap to offset...but thanks for dropping by...
I understand that, and that basically eliminates any "draft pick only" offer.

The only way Drouin would get moved in a 1-for-1 trade is for a player around the same age, with a similar cap hit, who is also underperforming in regards to his contract. Or for an older player with a bigger cap hit but less terms (so 2 years or 1 year left) OR a smaller cap hit but more term, assuming the team receiving Drouin is confident in his potential to break out at his age, and assuming the Bergevin is confident in the player he receives to perform better too. Players like Loui Eriksson, Rasmus Ristolainen, Nick Leddy, Brady Skjei, Kyle Okposo, Milan Lucic, etc. come to mind.

Another ridiculous post. Drouin is much better than Johnson. 7 pts in 10 playoff games compared to Johnson 7 pts in 25 games. Johnson is fading at 30 while Drouin is only 25. Both are overpaid and both are probably immoveable. Drouin will play with a good centre this year so if he doesn't improve his totals he will never be better than a 50 pt middle line forward.
Drouin was alright in that 10 games sample size, for sure. Benefiting from Suzuki's overall play and rolling an unsustainable PDO (just like whenever he has good short stints). Opposite for Johnson, who was indeed relatively awful. But that said, that's a small sample size, and if you use what you see during these small sample sizes to extrapolate, you'll miss the boat quite, quite often. Over the past 3 seasons, no player who has played substantial time with Drouin has performed better with him than without him. None. Playing with Drouin negatively impacts their goal scoring rates, while giving up more goals against.
If Drouin "performs" better because of Suzuki next season, but when away from him, still performs awful, hats off to Suzuki for doing something no other player - even one of the best 5v5 duo in the league in Gallagher-Danault - has managed to do. But that doesn't necessarily mean he has improved. It means he's still the same player, but just tailgoating better players.
I know he has issues but Johnson is not as good. He is small and even if Drouin isn't giving 100% he is still able to produce more. And their career stats are similar. Johnson has never been a great point producer and even though he isn't on the 1st line he has generally had better linemates. Drouin better try to improve his game because Julien is to useless to be of any help.
When Drouin isn't giving his 100%, he is an absolute liability in every aspect of the game. And this happens far more often than not. TJ is at least not as big of a disaster in terms of defensive impact.

Junohockeyfan

Dec 16, 2018
He was doing just fine last year before he got injured! Why this fanbase has to be so whiny?
Loved the chemistry he and Suzuki built and now with Josh Anderson added to that line, it will be fun to watch Drouin and Suzuki create offense again.

Junohockeyfan

Dec 16, 2018
I agree I would even leave Armia there cuz it worked and start Anderson on KK's wing.
True. But we have a ton of options now. Julien will have no excuses this season. Same for Drouin, no matter which of the top3 lines he is on will have top6 players. I expect better production than his standard 50+ point pace.

Belial

Oct 22, 2014
Montreal
True. But we have a ton of options now. Julien will have no excuses this season. Same for Drouin, no matter which of the top3 lines he is on will have top6 players. I expect better production than his standard 50+ point pace.
Yeah, Drouin is clearly on the edge, If you look at the entire roster, he's the only one that's not solid defensively.

Junohockeyfan

Dec 16, 2018
Yeah, Drouin is clearly on the edge, If you look at the entire roster, he's the only one that's not solid defensively.
That’s why i like him with Armia. But i think Josh Anderson will make that line better than Armia does. And with 3 x 2nd lines he should get good matchups.

Archijerej

Jan 17, 2005
Poland
AVs might toss a 5th round pick, slightly higher if retention is involved.

Comparables:
  • Schmidt - 3rd (2022);
  • Toews - 2nd (2021 + 2022);
  • Johnson T - Waived (no interest);
  • Murray R - 5th (2021);
  • Murray M - 2nd (2020) + pick;
Few if any teams with limited cap space would take his $5.5M contact.

p.s. Value is so low, not offering Jost. :nod:
No, those are not comparables.

All those teams HAD TO clear cap/salary. Habs don't.

Reactions: sharks9 and malcb33

Patagonia

Keep Whining
Jan 6, 2017
No, those are not comparables.

All those teams HAD TO clear cap/salary. Habs don't.

Comparable contracts needing to be cleared and return is about a 3rd or 4th.

Habs are currently up against this season. They will have $16M next year with Danault, KK, Armia, Lehk, and Tatar. Predicting a flat cap for the next 3 years, unlikely to have any improvement in a trade.

Patagonia

Keep Whining
Jan 6, 2017
Can’t because they suck! lol

Jost is too slow, too soft and too useless and can’t win a faceoff . I like Z but he’s too inconsistent.

besides, you didn’t offer a 2nd to your Z + Jost offer.

#RyderHalak+2nd. bahaha. Will miss those offers. ;)

Jost is still likely to obtain a 2nd with his cheap deal. Drouin with his contract will have negative value with the flat cap, maybe a 3rd with retention.

Junohockeyfan

Dec 16, 2018
Jost is still likely to obtain a 2nd with his cheap deal. Drouin with his contract will have negative value with the flat cap, maybe a 3rd with retention.
Habs have no interest in trading a top6 winger who co-led the team in points during the playins. Avs should have keen interest in trading a useless 4th line C who couldn’t kill a or a penalty to save his life in the playins and is a 13th forward most nhl teams. And such a below average skater to boot. He personifies the scrub.

Why hasn’t he been signed to his QO yet? Anything over 750K for Jost is an overpayment! ;)

jgimp

Sep 18, 2017
Ripley, Ont
Tyler Johnson wasn't claimed because noone in this landscape can add cap without subtracting some cap to offset...but thanks for dropping by...

And Drouin is payed more than TJ is he not? If TJ was free at $5M who is giving up assets for a $5.5m similar player with the cap implications as you mentioned? Over 90% of cap dollars have been spent league wide and anyone making even decent money will need to have sweeteners added to move them at this point or will be going for pennies on the dollar.

Johnny Hoxville

The Return of a Legend
Jul 15, 2006
Calgary
We didn’t discuss retention though . As long as it’s enough that another team would take Lucic for nothing . Turning drouin into a lottery pick in 2022 could make a fella forget all about that Russian kid .

I don’t think the Flames have the cap space to retain even if they wanted to.

Junohockeyfan

Dec 16, 2018
Habs are ready for 2020/2021. The only moves remaining include hiring a new mascot.

Bergevin said he’s done.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad