Value of: Jonathan Drouin

The90

Feb 27, 2017
hahaha I'm just saying, have not followed his development too close.

I just think people overreact when the ask is a Two way LW. Obviously Drouin can return one, but it's gonna be a 3rd/4th liner (a 30-35 points guy imo). But Montreal has those guys. Same with LD, we already have the guys that can be had for Drouin. Maybe we can fetch a late 1st, but generally those teams already have their offense in check to not need Drouin. And then we have no one else at LW generating offense, so what do we do without him? Byron in the top 6? It sucks but I think he fits our needs more than a on a lot of other teams
Especially with the loss of Domi. (I know he had a down year last year). But when offence is limited, do you really want to trade one of your only natural scorers?

Nautica54

Nov 28, 2015
Drouin is entitled trash....beautiful skater that cant do whats needed to put the puck in the back of the net, and continuously regresses as the league figures out what they need to neutralize him. He never adjusts and then pouts that the big bad NHL isnt allowing him to be an all star.

Wait until Barzal joins him in a couple years once they get sick of his crap too. Barzal is Drouin +.

abo9

Jun 25, 2017
Especially with the loss of Domi. (I know he had a down year last year). But when offence is limited, do you really want to trade one of your only natural scorers?

Exactly. the one way I could see him being used in a trade to improve the team is in a scenario like the Patch trade (ie Drouin + good prospect vs a better player) where Drouin, like Tatar, is traded as a short-term replacement of the better player until the prospect is ready. (Yes, we were lucky that Tatar has been as good as he has been, but I don't think the intention was ever to have Tatar long term)

The90

Feb 27, 2017
Exactly. the one way I could see him being used in a trade to improve the team is in a scenario like the Patch trade (ie Drouin + good prospect vs a better player) where Drouin, like Tatar, is traded as a short-term replacement of the better player until the prospect is ready. (Yes, we were lucky that Tatar has been as good as he has been, but I don't think the intention was ever to have Tatar long term)
Yup. And Montreal has a sweet spot for the makeup of his last name so they may be a bit more attached to him than other teams. Meaning the add may be more than they like

Reactions: abo9

BigDaddyLurch

Have some PRIDE, Eric...
Sponsor
Mar 1, 2013
Principle's Office

I may be in the minority with Habs fans, but the pumping up of Max Domi's tires is a bit much...yeah, he had a phenomenal 2018-19 season, but it was a big-time outlier when compared with the rest of his career so far (yes, I'm well aware that he's just 25)...I'm certainly not calling him a scrub or anything, but to expect him to be a 70+ point player year in and year out might also be a stretch, since his 2018-19 campaign was 20 points more than he's ever scored in a season...and Montreal's offense is driven far more by the determination of the group than high-end skill...Domi was odd man out, he'll be missed, but let's not make him something he wasn't...

abo9

Jun 25, 2017
I may be in the minority with Habs fans, but the pumping up of Max Domi's tires is a bit much...yeah, he had a phenomenal 2018-19 season, but it was a big-time outlier when compared with the rest of his career so far (yes, I'm well aware that he's just 25)...I'm certainly not calling him a scrub or anything, but to expect him to be a 70+ point player year in and year out might also be a stretch, since his 2018-19 campaign was 20 points more than he's ever scored in a season...and Montreal's offense is driven far more by the determination of the group than high-end skill...Domi was odd man out, he'll be missed, but let's not make him something he wasn't...

Regardless of his 70 points season, Domi was still one of the most productive Habs offensively, and his point totals season by season would be top 5 on the team every year. He's also not as 1-dimensional as Drouin as he can get under the skin of opponents.

The90 did not pump Domi's tire too much, he suggested he was a big part of our offense and it's true. 3rd most points on the team, 3rd in goals is not something you replace easily, and that's the season everyone bashes as shitty from him... He got traded for a position of need so I'm mostly fine with it. Now, Drouin has been our 3rd most producing forwards every year he's been in Montreal (save last year). To lose him for yet another 30 points 2-way forward would be another blow to the top 6 (assuming no adds on our side - but that seems to be his value) -ie. do we want to promote a Byron or Lehkonen type on the top 6/PP?

You asked for Drouin's value, and that's what I think it is for a two-way forward (a 30-35 pts defensively responsible forward ala Byron). Which I don't think we should pursue since we have those guys already. Now, if you want to add on to Drouin for a 50 pts two-way forward, then it's another story. But 1 vs 1, I'm not moving him

glenbuis

Sep 17, 2012
If we could put together a package for nurse . Drouin , 2021 2nd ( was whichever is higher , Montreal ‘s or Tampa’s, a 2021 third plus something else for nurse and a 2022 second . I’m not the biggest lover of nurse but a Defense of
Nurse Webber
Edmundson petry
Chariot Romanov

would almost make you feel like keeping the puck in your own end wouldn’t it ?

add reaves for kulak and a second and the bell center would become the hell center

Spearmint Rhino

Sep 17, 2013
If we could put together a package for nurse . Drouin , 2021 2nd ( was whichever is higher , Montreal ‘s or Tampa’s, a 2021 third plus something else for nurse and a 2022 second . I’m not the biggest lover of nurse but a Defense of
Nurse Webber
Edmundson petry
Chariot Romanov

would almost make you feel like keeping the puck in your own end wouldn’t it ?

add reaves for kulak and a second and the bell center would become the hell center
Maybe the hell center for opposing teams, been that for many years for the home fans :laugh:

glenbuis

Sep 17, 2012
The value of JD you ask?

I would say... A 6 month supply of chicken McNuggets.

5 months is you add BBQ sauce!
Hey I like to dream. And I’m not a supporter of bullying but if it gives us another edge I’m ok with it .

HabsAddict

Feb 27, 2002
Visit site
If he plays with Koko next year he will return to form

I prefer to see him, play with Anderson and Suzuki.

Drouin can score, the issue is the vast majority of the time he tries to do it himself and goes nowhere fast. With Suzuki controlling the play and Anderson buying him space, he "should" shine.

This is where the difference would be that he mails it in with those two, then it will be glaring...and make his departure mandatory.

OR he shines and becomes a scoring machine.

So let's see where this takes us. The future is in his hands..

Galaxydoggystyle

Jul 4, 2019
Problem with the Habs was they for years had problems with actual top 6 wingers. They did not have enough to move wingers down or up if they were playing bad now that we added Anderson and Toffoli we can actually move players that are playing bad. Drouin had the luxury of staying on the top two lines but now he doesn't so he either plays to his potential and does well or he moves down to the 3rd line or gets traded.

Reactions: draft day

smirob

Jun 2, 2014
He’s not a big enough burden to trade for pennies on the dollar.

im not his biggest fan, but we’d be getting back a similar underperforming player in return, it’s a crap shoot in either case

glenbuis

Sep 17, 2012
I wish Klefbom didn’t get hurt . We may have been able to suck holland in for drouin and a couple draft picks thAt he wasted on anthiosou
Battling
Nurse Weber
Edmundson petry
Chariot Romanov

would have been a long nite for a lot of forwards

Scintillating10

Jun 15, 2012
Nova Scotia
Domi maybe good fit in Columbus though. He is better at center. Problem in Montreal was he was bad as a center. I think if they had a top #1 center this season he would hit 70 points again.

Scintillating10

Jun 15, 2012
Nova Scotia
Drouin is entitled trash....beautiful skater that cant do whats needed to put the puck in the back of the net, and continuously regresses as the league figures out what they need to neutralize him. He never adjusts and then pouts that the big bad NHL isnt allowing him to be an all star.

Wait until Barzal joins him in a couple years once they get sick of his crap too. Barzal is Drouin +.
Addition of
Anderson and Drouin's play with Suzuki in playoffs likely last chance for Drouin in Montreal.

NORiculous

Jan 13, 2006
Montreal
I think Drouin can be a very powerful complementary player. I know a lot of Hab fans want to trade him but I would keep him.

If Suzuki and KK can rise to true #1 C and #2 C, I don’t see any reason Drouin wouldn’t be able to thrive on the wing.

Reactions: Bouboumaster

Gaud

May 11, 2017
The Drouin/Sergachev trade was fairly even when it was made, but it had the chance to blow up in MTL’s face. And it has. It looks uglier and uglier every year now.
i liked the trade at teh time (saw Drouin in the playoffs in TB and was a fan)... Drouin had some good flashes with Suzuki in the playoffs, but i think we lost that one big time, even if only taking into acount that D are worth more than W. Additionally, after seeing multiple Domi posts that seemed to agree that Domi wasnt worth a top 10 pick, i think that statements speaks volumes for this trade.

NORiculous

Jan 13, 2006
Montreal
The Drouin/Sergachev trade was fairly even when it was made, but it had the chance to blow up in MTL’s face. And it has. It looks uglier and uglier every year now.
What happens when you take a young winger who score goals and make him lose a full year trying to learn C when he obviously needs to keep learning how to score goals?

I don’t see this is on Drouin but on the stupid path managment put him. He might never recover or he might become a late bloomer, time will tell, but right now he can still be a great complementary player.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad