Player Discussion Jonathan Drouin - Where Are Ü Now That We Need Ya? Edition

Status
Not open for further replies.

Guns n Roses

Feb 26, 2019
It would have to be another unproven - in this case up and down project that's been in the league for 4 or 5 years, not an 18 year old prospect. Maybe that kid
Jesse Puljujarvi

in edmonton.

But more likely, it would have to be a Pouliot for Latendresse type of swap - two highly touted draft picks that hadn't yet panned out.
PoolParty sucks. Give me a grinder instead.

Michou would approve.

26A251D6-B9F5-48C1-A8B2-381CEDF83D40.jpeg

FormerLurker

Sponsor
Mar 11, 2003
Mississauga
You know that for a fact? You know what 31 men that are paid to transact with each other talk about and when?

My apologies, I assumed you were aware of the trade deadline and the implications it has on playoff rosters. In a nutshell, teams don't make trades between the trade deadline and draft day, beyond a few rare depth moves. Anyone acquired in a trade after the deadline is ineligible for post season play. So when shopping roster players (i.e. non depth guys), a GM waits until he can talk with all 30 others GMs in order to maximize his return.

ahmedou

DOU
Oct 7, 2017
How could you not? It was such a flagrant omission. I'm really surprised it came out in the first place, and that they had the guts to fix it.
It's a "where's Waldo" game when I'm looking forward to find Drou.

At the end of the day, still not finding him yet...

Spring in Fialta

A malign star kept him
Apr 1, 2007
Montreal, QC
False for prime regular season Max. 5 games scores was the absolute worst he did after broke out. And Max had better defensive play.

Yeah, Drouin's streak was just beyond anything Pacioretty ever went through. Drouin was catastrophic for the last 8 weeks of the season. Pacioretty was never that cold.

dackelljuneaubulis02

Oct 13, 2012
I think you're forgetting that when it came down to it Max went on very similar stretches that Drouin did at the end of the year. Multiple times and he was just as frustrating if not more.

maybe not as bad as drouin's drought but drouin's highs are better. they are WAY too few but they are truly dazzling. i still think there's hope but it's starting to shrink. i had enough of patches.

Spring in Fialta

A malign star kept him
Apr 1, 2007
Montreal, QC
maybe not as bad as drouin's drought but drouin's highs are better. they are WAY too few but they are truly dazzling. i still think there's hope but it's starting to shrink. i had enough of patches.

No, Drouin's highs weren't better. If they were he'd have had better or similar totals than Pacioretty. He hasn't come close.

dackelljuneaubulis02

Oct 13, 2012
No, Drouin's highs weren't better. If they were he'd have had better or similar totals than Pacioretty. He hasn't come close.

No they were just infrequent. His highs were superstar level. Patches never shown what Drouin shown. Maybe pre-Chara/Letang hit Patches. That shouldn't even be debated. The problem is they are FAR FAR too infrequent. If Drouin can cut down the dumb plays and be reasonably consistent then he's a PPG player. Easily. I'll gamble on his upside over Patches any day.

JoelWarlord

Ex-Noob616
May 7, 2012
Halifax
Comparing Pacioretty's cold streaks to Drouin is insulting. Pacioretty with the Habs was a dominant forechecker, an elite transition player and shot creator, and a solid defensive forward as well (he's not really anymore but he doesn't need to be on a line with Mark Stone). Just because he's a big guy that doesn't hit doesn't mean he wasn't doing anything when he wasn't scoring.

They're not even close, IMO it's ridiculous to bet on Drouin's ostensible "upside" bridging the gap between what Drouin is (a middling 2nd/3rd line ES scorer with zero value in transition/possession and one of the league's worst defensive forwards) and what prime Pacioretty was (a top 5 goal scorer in the NHL during his prime, and an elite play driver, forechecker, shot creator, and a solid defender).

Last edited:

Spring in Fialta

A malign star kept him
Apr 1, 2007
Montreal, QC
No they were just infrequent. His highs were superstar level. Patches never shown what Drouin shown. Maybe pre-Chara/Letang hit Patches. That shouldn't even be debated. The problem is they are FAR FAR too infrequent. If Drouin can cut down the dumb plays and be reasonably consistent then he's a PPG player. Easily. I'll gamble on his upside over Patches any day.

If they're way more infrequent, then it really doesn't do us much good, does it? I don't care if he looks like the second coming of Lemieux if he stinks up the joint for the following three weeks.

dackelljuneaubulis02

Oct 13, 2012
If they're way more infrequent, then it really doesn't do us much good, does it? I don't care if he looks like the second coming of Lemieux if he stinks up the joint for the following three weeks.

sure but that's not what you said initially. You were talking about the quality of the highs not the quantity.

I can see why people would rather Patches. I've seen enough of him to know what I get and it hasn't been very good for awhile now, production aside. Drouin can still be better. Maybe he won't be. I'd rather take that gamble than have Patches imo.

dackelljuneaubulis02

Oct 13, 2012
Comparing Pacioretty's cold streaks to Drouin is insulting. Pacioretty with the Habs was a dominant forechecker, an elite transition player and shot creator, and a solid defensive forward as well (he's not really anymore but he doesn't need to be on a line with Mark Stone). Just because he's a big guy that doesn't hit doesn't mean he wasn't doing anything when he wasn't scoring.

They're not even close, IMO it's ridiculous to bet on Drouin's ostensible "upside" bridging the gap between what Drouin is (a middling 2nd/3rd line ES scorer with zero value in transition/possession and one of the league's worst defensive forwards) and what prime Pacioretty was (a top 5 goal scorer in the NHL during his prime, and an elite play driver, forechecker, shot creator, and a solid defender).

Pacioretty at his very best was gone a long time ago. He's still good or he can still be. Even at his best, I never seen him do what Drouin can do. It's a gamble keeping Drouin but Patches just doesn't fit the make up of this team. I completely get the Drouin hate but his upside is huge. There should be no question. Even if he gets only marginally better he's likely worth his contract and I'd rather his style of game than Patches.

Patches and Pleks of the last little while were so infuriating.

McGuires Corndog

Pierre's favorite MONSTER performer
Sponsor
Feb 6, 2008
Montreal
Not sure how he can fix his game, I don't think its a matter of not being in shape, because it looks like he came into camp in shape, I just think its his hockey IQ hes no smarter then a stick.

He lacks hockey IQ, he relies strictly on skills but it doesn’t work in the NHL the way it did in the Q.... naturally.

I said it 6 years ago and I’ll say it again, Galchenyuk is better than Drouin.

Fandangle

Apr 29, 2018
Not sure how he can fix his game, I don't think its a matter of not being in shape, because it looks like he came into camp in shape, I just think its his hockey IQ hes no smarter then a stick.
I agree that he won't fix his game regardless if he can. But I think he does have a hockey IQ. He just uses it to avoid getting hit at any cost. Watch him foresee a hit coming miles away and gift the puck rather than take a hit to make a play. I truly believe his removal would be an addition by subtraction and with the them 52 points maybe we could actually get a half decent return by fleecing someone else.

Reactions: Runner77

ahmedou

DOU
Oct 7, 2017
I agree that he won't fix his game regardless if he can. But I think he does have a hockey IQ. He just uses it to avoid getting hit at any cost. Watch him foresee a hit coming miles away and gift the puck rather than take a hit to make a play. I truly believe his removal would be an addition by subtraction and with the them 52 points maybe we could actually get a half decent return by fleecing someone else.
I call it having a selfish IQ. At all not hockey IQ.

Reactions: Defangles
Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad