Jonathan Drouin vs William Nylander

Who you take going forward ?

• Total voters

LeafsNation75

Jan 15, 2010
Toronto, Ontario
Yeah he only threw a hissy fit over money and sat out half a season. Came back slumping hard and its embarassing with the overpayment and all. Drouin got nothing on Nylander.
Nylander is not the first player who has done something like that. Plus you mean to tell me that Drouin walking out on his AHL team and demanding that Tampa Bay trades him since he was not called up is not worse than Nylander not playing over his contract when he was an RFA?

bert

Nov 11, 2002
Visit site
I agree. Drouin is inconsistent as ****.

Yeah they both are thats exactly what I said. Not sure why anyone is arguing anything different other than dilusional leaf fans that cant look at their own players remotely objectively.

Line Stats - Natural Stat Trick

If you need help reading the basic stats i'm more than happy to help you out :)

If you need an example here is a Duo that is consistently bad and are helping their team to a last place finish

Line Stats - Natural Stat Trick

3 points in 16 games hows that for reading basic stats. I manage to be able to read that stat line. Maybe you should try and watch other teams/players than your beloved leafs.

Kudo Shinichi

Apr 20, 2012
Nylander may have had that contract dispute and missed all those games, but at least he didn't leave his AHL team like Drouin did when he was with Tampa and demanded a trade. Plus if he was not French Canadian there is no way Montreal gives up Sergachev for him.

Are you being serious? lol

Drouin sat out a few ahl games because he wanted to be traded.
Nylander sat out 28 nhl games because he wanted more money.

What Nylander did is way worse than what Drouin did. Not even close...

LeafsNation75

Jan 15, 2010
Toronto, Ontario
Are you being serious? lol

Drouin sat out a few ahl games because he wanted to be traded.
Nylander sat out 28 nhl games because he wanted more money.

What Nylander did is way worse than what Drouin did. Not even close...
Walking out on a team because you are pissed off about not being in the NHL is a lot worse than Nylander not playing because him and the Leafs could not agree on a contract.

Reactions: Yackiberg8

Legend123

Jul 3, 2016
lmao holy homer
Hes right. Drouin felt entitled to play in the NHL despite his team feelng he wasn't ready. Nylander simply wanted to get paid fairly. It's a business game. There's no reason why he should take a pay cut so the leafs can spend more on Marner and Matthews

DropIt

Oct 21, 2009
Red Deer, AB
When Willy comes back to life, gonna laugh hard at some of the posts in here. Recency bias at it's best

Yeah. Absolutely recency bias. How else do you look at a guy who puts up 60, sits out and then plays horribly when he comes back?

Likening said id take Nylander over Drouin all day, but he needs to get his game straightened out.

Morgs

#16 #34 #44 #88 #91
Jul 12, 2015
London, ON
Nylander ainec.

People are gonna look silly when he isn't rocking a 5.6 oish% and a 3.4 sh%.

Guys literally 2nd in creating scoring chances 5v5 on the Leafs (after Tavares) since coming back, and that's playing almost exclusively beside Kadri; someone he's proven constantly that he has no chemistry with. All you can chalk it up to at this point is "bad luck".

Kudo Shinichi

Apr 20, 2012
Hes right. Drouin felt entitled to play in the NHL despite his team feelng he wasn't ready. Nylander simply wanted to get paid fairly. It's a business game. There's no reason why he should take a pay cut so the leafs can spend more on Marner and Matthews

Nylander wanted to be paid fairly? Wasn't he asking for 7.5+ M? He's definitely not worth that much.
Your saying Nylander felt he was worth more than what Dubas wanted to pay him, so its okay for him to have sat out 28 games?

Drouin wasn't ready to play in the nhl? You realize the year prior to his trade request, he had 32 pts in 70 nhl games while playing 4th minutes? Drouin was easily an nhl player, but because of tampa's depth and Cooper not liking him, they weren't playing him. Furthermore, Drouin had asked for a trade request long before it went public, and Yzerman didn't grant it. "It's a business game" like you say, no reason for Drouin to report to the ahl team and risk an injury (and potential the trade) when he had already asked several times to Yzerman to be traded . He wasn't getting paid either since he was suspended.

In the end, the difference is that Drouin missed a few ahl games, whereas Nylander missed 28 nhl games.

The Kessel Run

Jun 7, 2011
Nylander wanted to be paid fairly? Wasn't he asking for 7.5+ M? He's definitely not worth that much.
Your saying Nylander felt he was worth more than what Dubas wanted to pay him, so its okay for him to have sat out 28 games?

Drouin wasn't ready to play in the nhl? You realize the year prior to his trade request, he had 32 pts in 70 nhl games while playing 4th minutes? Drouin was easily an nhl player, but because of tampa's depth and Cooper not liking him, they weren't playing him. Furthermore, Drouin had asked for a trade request long before it went public, and Yzerman didn't grant it. "It's a business game" like you say, no reason for Drouin to report to the ahl team and risk an injury (and potential the trade) when he had already asked several times to Yzerman to be traded . He wasn't getting paid either since he was suspended.

In the end, the difference is that Drouin missed a few ahl games, whereas Nylander missed 28 nhl games.

The bottom line is you are insinuating that someone leaving their team while under contract is more understandable than a player sitting out because he was not able to agree to a contract with his club. If you believe that, rock on. I think many of us would argue against it.

Kudo Shinichi

Apr 20, 2012
The bottom line is you are insinuating that someone leaving their team while under contract is more understandable than a player sitting out because he was not able to agree to a contract with his club. If you believe that, rock on. I think many of us would argue against it.

Right, lets ignore the fact that Nylander's situation made him missed 28 nhl games, and Drouin's situation made him miss a few ahl games :facepalm:

LeafsNation75

Jan 15, 2010
Toronto, Ontario
Right, lets ignore the fact that Nylander's situation made him missed 28 nhl games, and Drouin's situation made him miss a few ahl games :facepalm:
Drouin walked out on his AHL team after he complained about not being called up to the NHL. That is so much worse and I can't believe we need to explain why it is.

Kudo Shinichi

Apr 20, 2012
Drouin walked out on his AHL team after he complained about not being called up to the NHL. That is so much worse and I can't believe we need to explain why it is.

and I can't believe you just ignore the amount and type of games they missed. Im sure if Nylander had decided to miss the whole year, you would still argue that what Drouin did was worse...

Bourdon

Mar 20, 2007
I think it's closer than some are willing to admit. Sure, Nylander is consistently a 60pt guy, but that's with an elite talent in Matthews...one of the best 5-on-5 players in the league. Drouin would put up 60pts with Matthews too. But there's a laziness to Drouin's game that I don't like.

The Kessel Run

Jun 7, 2011

So would I be correct in assuming the number of games missed is what determines the reflection of character in your mind (between Drouin and Nylander at least)? That seems to be your argument from my perspective.

Personally, the number of games Nylander sat out doesn't really matter to me (it might to others), and I'm not surprised in the least that he's struggling after missing training camp and half a season. He has to deal with the increased scrutiny caused by his decision.

I still think leaving your team while under contract is worse.

82Ninety42011

Jul 2, 2011
Abbotsford BC
You put Drouin with the supporting cast Nylander has had and i'm pretty sure he puts up better numbers then Nylander. It won't be clear for another season or two but I'm leaning Drouin.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad

-->