Player Discussion Jonathan Drouin: To C Or Not to C

Status
Not open for further replies.

BehindTheTimes

Jun 24, 2018
Should not be a center if we want to see the max we can get out of him as a player, but apparently we don't care if we can maximize his value to the team.

Reactions: cphabs

L4br3cqu3

Matter of principle.
Sponsor
May 5, 2002
La Tuque
We should be looking to get rid of Drouin, Patches and sadly Gally as well.

Pacioretty is a no-brainer, but MB could surprise us with a 8x8 contract extension, or something like that... :help:

Wouldn't deal Drouin though, he's pretty young still, just mightily misused, IMO, and sorrily, THE posterboy of the MB regime, something he shouldn't be.

Gally, to me, is the captain of that team, and I'd keep him to show our incoming kids how a real pro has to behave, if his body lasts that long. Really, really like the guy, and I just think we wouldn't get enough for the value he has for the team, right now.

Bryson

#EugeneMolson
Jun 25, 2008
We should be looking to get rid of Drouin, Patches and sadly Gally as well.

I'm no Drouin fan, in fact I kind of despise him but not sure I would get rid of him. He's still young and on a decent contract. Eventually this team will need players. Drouin would be serviceable if he had a center to play with.

Reactions: Kaperi Spacey

Scriptor

Jan 1, 2014
He is a winger.............so, really, where should he play? It's a no brainer for everyone but MB..............let's hope CJ gets to make the decision and JD will be on Da Wing!!

Love this. Like MB decides everything bad -- in eluding coaching roster choices -- and the coach gets anything good attributed to him as a decision...

This whole puppet-master BS attributed to Bergevin is getting old, especially with a 5-yr, 5M contract given to Julien. You'd think that the veteran coach would have much more of a say in what goes on than he is given credit for -- or blamed about, for that matter.

The whole King, Ott and company acquisitions could very well have been made by Bergevin at the request of Julien, giving him the type of playoff players he felt were needed to go on a run.

But, no, somehow, it's entirely Bergevin's wish list and, at the same time, people also float around that Bergevin refused to let Julien choose his own assistants and actually decides on just about anything coaching and line-up related that doesn't/didn,t pan out.

I'm not trying to defend Bergevin or pretend that all he does is good, but the reverse is taking on stupid proportions.

Cobra Commander

Sep 30, 2017
Bell Center
I'm no Drouin fan, in fact I kind of despise him but not sure I would get rid of him. He's still young and on a decent contract. Eventually this team will need players. Drouin would be serviceable if he had a center to play with.
Who cares, trade them all and rebuild this garbage.

Reactions: Bryson

cphabs

The 2 stooges….
Dec 21, 2012
Not at all bias-charged a post. Not at all...
What the hell are we, just a fan, supposed to think? One of the all time greatest players, leaders, and soon to be GMs had enough of his incessant whining and antics as a winger! What did we do? Traded the best defenseman in his draft for him... while noting the troubling team dynamic in our current locker room. This is insanity! On top of that We decided to play him as center even after it was quite evident he was better suited as a winger! I like the kid but if Yserman could not lead him? Do you honestly think our organization will? It is sad really because we have all seen what Drouin is capable of when driven or pissed. He is a game changer in that mode.

DramaticGloveSave

Voice of Reason
Apr 17, 2017
He did end the year playing much better at C playing Gallagher, so maybe an offseason to regroup and he can have a better year. The trick could be he just needs to play with high effort players and perhaps that is the plan to play him with Galagher again but also now Domi. If he starts to suck again then pull the plug on the experiment and insert Peca or whoever, but I think we'd be wise to give Drouin one last crack at it before giving up on the idea for good. As someone else posted, he finished the year over the last 20 games at a 60+ point pace.

habsfan909

Feb 20, 2018
Weber has missed half the games (or more?) Subban has played since the trade and hes looking like he’ll be missing more games.

The Subban Weber trade is the worst trade of all times.

I dislike Bergevin as much as anyone but sadly the worst Habs trade I can think of is still McD for Gomez.

Genesis76

True Leader
May 3, 2013
I dislike Bergevin as much as anyone but sadly the worst Habs trade I can think of is still McD for Gomez.

No, they used Gomez as a bait to acquire the other players. So it was for them a calculated risk.

And we went to the ecf that year.

I hardly see how that is a worst trade than the subban trade, a dumb trade that had no other purpoce than getting rid of PK, a trade that keeps getting worst as time goes by.

Gainey was thinking 4-5 moves ahead, Bergevin is dumb as a nail and has a hard time keeping 8 sheets of papers organised

PhysicX

Nov 17, 2010
MTL
Drouin is a very good player. We saw flashes of that last year. I wish we could just play him on the wing, though. He's obviously more suited for that role.
I want to be proven wrong, but Drouin seems like a lot of skill, but no heart. I don't see that changing anytime soon.

The French media salivate at the thought of Drouin being top-10 in the league in points, but that'll never happen. He's overrated by our media, as they're wishfully hoping he pans out.

Even with a real centre, I don't see him perform up to some people's expectations.

Reactions: CalgarySnow

yianik

Jun 30, 2009
I was a Chucky fan who while unable to say he could have been a top 6C , can say that Chucky was not developed properly and ought to have been given a better opportunity to be a centre, especially last year.

I take note of the difference in opportunity between Chucky and Drouin.

However, I have never had an issue with giving Drouin the opportunity to be play centre. My sole concern is that it messes up the player and his game. If he can be a top line playmaking winger , let him be that.

Reactions: L4br3cqu3
Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad