Player Discussion Jonathan Drouin Part 2

Status
Not open for further replies.

Jul 6, 2016
That's no surprise at all..........better than him sitting at home watching the games like us.
Sad and unfortunate we lost Sergachev for 10 cents on the dollar. I know people who called it, who watched him in Jr.
And, here we are...............maybe Seattle take him, and he can play a little better out there?

I still think he can play way better.... But elsewhere far from MTL, not even in the Eastern Conference, not in Canada, sheltered on a second-line behind superstars.

BLONG7

Oct 30, 2002
Nova Scotia
Visit site
I still think he can play way better.... But elsewhere far from MTL, not even in the Eastern Conference, sheltered on a second-line behind superstars.
You could be right, his TB and Montreal careers have been almost awful as compared to the expectations, after a huge Jr career in Halifax.
He is really running out of runway to make something happen.

Reactions: Surfer72

26Mats

Jun 23, 2018
Armia is a turnover machine and he doesn’t get a fraction of the caca storm that Drouin gets

I can't enjoy watching Armia either.

This is my top 12 for next season. The blanks need to be filled. Of course I'm happy to replace any player with an upgrade that is at least as good defensively and is better offensively. We need to improve the offensive talent.

Toffoli Suzuki Caufield
________ KK Gallagher
Tatar Danault Anderson
______ ________ Evans

Clear out the 13.9M in cap space used on Byron, Drouin, Armia, and Lehkonen and use it to upgrade the offense and the defense. Lehkonen and Armia can stay on the 4th line if they accept 1M AAV deals. I'd also like Perry back at 1M.

Reactions: Surfer72

Runner77

Sponsor
Jun 24, 2012
Which media was critical of him?

AC got on his case just before he took himself out of the lineup. Prior to that, can’t remember any Franco media being overly critical of him. He probably got more flak from some members of the Anglo media but can’t remember.

Runner77

Sponsor
Jun 24, 2012
We need this guy back hungry and ready to prove it for the start of the playoffs. He could be a game changer if he plays like he always does during the first 20 games of the season

Drouin has always performed poorly or disappeared completely at end of seasons — his best games were at the beginning of a season.

Habs13

Dec 30, 2004
Montreal
Nobody wanted Drouin before this, nobody is trading for him now. It was rumored that he was being shopped actively for months. He plays in Montreal or in Europe, I would think.

WinterLion

Oct 1, 2017
He could get moved for a player that wants out in a similar position.... like Galchenyuk/Domi

sandviper

No Ragrets
Jan 26, 2016
Toronto
I’ll burn in the fires of Hell for saying this, but I’ll say it anyways.

Making an assumption that whatever this is, and I will assume it’s the pressures of playing in Montreal, it’s been going on for a while. From a purely HOCKEY management perspective, I wish this was addressed sooner and perhaps arrangements made to move him at TDL. Give him a fresh start and away from the toxicity here.

Assuming he still wants to play, just not here, we should had moved him.

OBVIOUSLY, I am not a monster. If he really loves playing for the Canadiens and thought he’d work through it, then so be it.

Either way, hope things work out for him.

Reactions: ArsHabs

Spring in Fialta

A malign star kept him
Apr 1, 2007
Montreal, QC

Making an assumption that whatever this is, and I will assume it’s the pressures of playing in Montreal, it’s been going on for a while. From a purely HOCKEY management perspective, I wish this was addressed sooner and perhaps arrangements made to move him at TDL. Give him a fresh start and away from the toxicity here.

OBVIOUSLY, I am not a monster. If he really loves playing for the Canadiens and thought he’d work through it, then so be it.

There's been rumours of him being shopped before and there being no takers.

Reactions: Habs13

Runner77

Sponsor
Jun 24, 2012
90% of readers going Huh?

I don’t think Bell did an English version of their internet service ad featuring Drouin. Here he is leaving, because of a poor wifi connection:

Last edited:

Habs13

Dec 30, 2004
Montreal

You know what, I'm very critical of the Habs management - but this isn't the case here. This issue, whatever it is, existed in Tampa Bay too. He always had the stigma over his head of being lazy and cathartic, egotistical and mentally weak. I suppose you could point fingers at the scouts prior to the trade but then again, does anybody know what the scouting reports (if any) were on the guy? More likely that Bergervin just made up his own mind on the trade and pulled the trigger on it.

Reactions: montreal

BigDaddyLurch

Have some PRIDE, Eric...
Sponsor
Mar 1, 2013
Principle's Office
You know what, I'm very critical of the Habs management - but this isn't the case here. This issue, whatever it is, existed in Tampa Bay too. He always had the stigma over his head of being lazy and cathartic, egotistical and mentally weak. I suppose you could point fingers at the scouts prior to the trade but then again, does anybody know what the scouting reports (if any) were on the guy? More likely that Bergervin just made up his own mind on the trade and pulled the trigger on it.

Johnny Floaty's been the same player since his junior days with the Mooseheads; both Tampa and Montreal knew, or at least should have known, what they were getting...a ridiculously talented perimeter player who floats more than most sailboats and avoids physicality at all costs...my opinion, and it may seem harsh but it is my honest take, he's not cut out to play in a pressure cooker like Montreal, especially as a "hometown kid"...some player's thrive under increased pressure and some fold like cheap suits...Floaty's always seemed to me like the latter...in junior he was always one of, if not the most, naturally talented kid out there...in the NHL, he was just another highly-touted talented prospect, then just another talented young player, and now just another talented middle-sixer...if he had ever actually put the work in to grow his game from junior to the NHL-level, he could have been a star in this League and Tampa would have never even thought about trading him...he didn't, he decided that his natural gifts were good enough to make him a star in this League and he was playing "his game" regardless...I do hope the kid gets the help he needs if this is more than just a playing issue...

Last edited:

Habs

We should have drafted Michkov
Feb 28, 2002
Not sure why anyone thinks Drouin is done in Montreal. I mean, I get why, but short of Seattle taking him, I think he's close to untradeable.

Dude bailed on the team when they were decimated with injuries, and isn't even coming back for the playoffs, someone will take him but he will never play here again. I bet the Avs would love to have him, if they can squeeze him in the cap

Kojo

Nov 22, 2013
I think what happened is that Yzerman didn't like him. So, in order to punish him they sent him to us. Yzerman doesn't f*** around. We need to trade him and maybe he find his groove again.

MeanMugging91

Jan 6, 2016
I wish Drouin the best and hope he can figure it out even if its with another team. From a business stand point tho it sure sucks that we traded Sergachev for him. Bergervin was shooting for the stars but landed in the bushes with that one :thumbd:

Reactions: Garnet76

BargainBinSpecial

Jul 2, 2018
Don't protect him and hope Seattle claims him. Then, try to get rid of Byron and Weber. Danault and Armia are coming off the books, so destroying BargainBin's legacy would be a fresh start for all. I would re-sign Tatar and try to land UFAs. It's too bad, BargainBin didn't sell his UFAs for futures.

Tatar Suzuki Anderson/Caufield
Toffoli KK Caufield/Anderson/Gallagher
Lek xx Anderson
xx Evans Perry

If Poehling can blossom into a bottom 6 C, that would be a blessing. Priorities would be to target a number 1C and bottom 6 forwards are not too difficult to find. I know finding a number 1C is more easily said than done, but that's why the BargainBin makes more dough than most of us. Failure is not an option any longer. At the draft, picking LWs is a mus to replenish the forwards group.

Getting rid of Drouin, Byron and Weber would save the Habs 17 mil. It just hurts to see two top 4 LDs playing for the same team drafted by the Habs.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad