Player Discussion Jonathan Drouin Part 2

Status
Not open for further replies.

Steve Shutt

Don't Poke the Bear
May 31, 2007
Drouin has a history of high performance in the playoffs. See career Playoff Stats:
Season Team Lge GP G A Pts
---------------------------------------------------------------
2011-12 Halifax Mooseheads QMJHL 17 9 17 26
2012-13 Halifax Mooseheads QMJHL 17 12 23 35
2013-14 Halifax Mooseheads QMJHL 16 13 28 41
2014-15 Tampa Bay Lightning NHL 6 0 0 0
2015-16 Tampa Bay Lightning NHL 17 5 9 14
2019-20 Montreal Canadiens NHL 10 1 6 7

Rosso Scuderia

Jun 30, 2012
Drouin has a history of high performance in the playoffs. See career Playoff Stats:
Season Team Lge GP G A Pts
---------------------------------------------------------------
2011-12 Halifax Mooseheads QMJHL 17 9 17 26
2012-13 Halifax Mooseheads QMJHL 17 12 23 35
2013-14 Halifax Mooseheads QMJHL 16 13 28 41
2014-15 Tampa Bay Lightning NHL 6 0 0 0
2015-16 Tampa Bay Lightning NHL 17 5 9 14
2019-20 Montreal Canadiens NHL 10 1 6 7

Yeah no.. I don't really consider his nhl playoffs stats as "high performance". A 0.636 pt per game is not what I called high performance.

And the sample size is quite small.

He got his best "performance" playing in a pretty stacked offensive team. In same environment, Brayden Point who kinda replaced Drouin after he left has a playoffs PPG of 1.13. Almost twice as Drouin's. That's what I called high performance. Drouin's number is closer to a guy like Alex Killhorn.

So yeah.. Drouin is around .60 ppg player in his career. Regular season or playoffs. Good for him that he can keep that same pace in the playoffs but to call him a high performance player in the playoffs is a bit of a stretch.

Reactions: Ebony Mackenzie

Rosso Scuderia

Jun 30, 2012
Still pretty amazing that whatever is wrong with him hasn't leaked out.

It is.. He hasn't been seen once since he left the team. No news, nothing. It still amazes me how a player can go from pregame warm up to completely missing in action. It has to be very serious. I've never seen a player missing for so long for something that is not related to substance abuse or problem with the law.

Personally, I don't buy the theory that fans and media pressure got the best out of him. I refused to believe that a professional player is that weak mentally, especially when they have all the resources and help in the world. He doesn't have any more pressure than Price, Weber or Gallagher or Danault etc.. DD went through that, Ribeiro went through that, Latendresse went through that. I'm not saying that it's easy but these are professionals, they are paid like so. If they are not good enough or can't handle the pressure, they would be amateurs. So yeah.. maybe it's a mixed of things but I just can't believed he left after warming up because he just can't take the pressure of the fans and medias anymore.

Reactions: Monsieur Miz

MSLs absurd thighs

Formerly Tough Au Lit
Feb 4, 2013
Kraken is the only way

This. As much as everyone likes redemption story and would like Drouin to come back, be happy as a Hab, rebound and become an impact player, it's just not going to happen anymore. That ship has sailed.

I think us going deep into the playoffs and getting a bottom-4 1st round pick opens up a perfect opportunity to sweeten the pot and pass on Drouin's contract to the Kraken by adding our pick.
Drouin's 5.5M and Tatar's 4.9M off the books would be HUGE for this team.

Steve Shutt

Don't Poke the Bear
May 31, 2007
Yeah no.. I don't really consider his nhl playoffs stats as "high performance". A 0.636 pt per game is not what I called high performance.

And the sample size is quite small.

He got his best "performance" playing in a pretty stacked offensive team. In same environment, Brayden Point who kinda replaced Drouin after he left has a playoffs PPG of 1.13. Almost twice as Drouin's. That's what I called high performance. Drouin's number is closer to a guy like Alex Killhorn.

So yeah.. Drouin is around .60 ppg player in his career. Regular season or playoffs. Good for him that he can keep that same pace in the playoffs but to call him a high performance player in the playoffs is a bit of a stretch.

He's come up huge in 5 of his 6 career playoff opportunities. Only Suzuki and Toffoli have those kinds of numbers this season. He would be a difference maker if he was playing.

2011-12 Halifax Mooseheads QMJHL 17 9 17 26 = 2nd overall on team
2012-13 Halifax Mooseheads QMJHL 17 12 23 35 = 1st overall
2013-14 Halifax Mooseheads QMJHL 16 13 28 41 = 1st overall
2014-15 Tampa Bay Lightning NHL 6 0 0 0 = 19 years old used sparingly
2015-16 Tampa Bay Lightning NHL 17 5 9 14 = tied for 3rd overall
2019-20 Montreal Canadiens NHL 10 1 6 7 = tied for 1st overall

dcyhabs

May 30, 2008
Montreal
The problem with Drouin is less his play, though he has had some weak stretches, than that MB traded Sergachev, a cheaper player who fills a more significant need, for him, and then signed him to a contract that assumed growth and success before it was demonstrated. Drouin isn't a bad player and would have been fine if Tampa Bay had dumped him rather than sold high. MB picked him up at close to peak value, though he started this year going ppg. He may just not be a good fit for the Montreal market, maybe better off in Tamp or one of the other US teams with no fanbase or coverage.

Drouin is OK, MB's acquisition of him was very bad for everyone, Drouin, team, fans, except for Tampa and Sergachev.

Rosso Scuderia

Jun 30, 2012
He's come up huge in 5 of his 6 career playoff opportunities. Only Suzuki and Toffoli have those kinds of numbers this season. He would be a difference maker if he was playing.

2011-12 Halifax Mooseheads QMJHL 17 9 17 26 = 2nd overall on team
2012-13 Halifax Mooseheads QMJHL 17 12 23 35 = 1st overall
2013-14 Halifax Mooseheads QMJHL 16 13 28 41 = 1st overall
2014-15 Tampa Bay Lightning NHL 6 0 0 0 = 19 years old used sparingly

No he won't. Like I said. Drouin is a .6 ppg player. That's not a problem for him. Playoffs or regular season. The rest of his game is. I'd rather have a less talented Killhorn that brings more in others aspects of the game for the same ppg in the playoffs.

He was ok last year. Nothing more, nothing less.

And who cares about his junior days seriously. If he really plays the same way like his junior days, he'd be a superstar right now.

NewDef

Nov 2, 2015
The problem with Drouin is less his play, though he has had some weak stretches, than that MB traded Sergachev, a cheaper player who fills a more significant need, for him, and then signed him to a contract that assumed growth and success before it was demonstrated. Drouin isn't a bad player and would have been fine if Tampa Bay had dumped him rather than sold high. MB picked him up at close to peak value, though he started this year going ppg. He may just not be a good fit for the Montreal market, maybe better off in Tamp or one of the other US teams with no fanbase or coverage.

Drouin is OK, MB's acquisition of him was very bad for everyone, Drouin, team, fans, except for Tampa and Sergachev.
And it would've been great if he panned out and didn'nt screw his hand. Imagine MB (or any other) come to you for a potential quebec star that speaks french... the negotiation power was not on MB's side... need it because fanbase want more quebec boys, pay...
I would'nt have done it but maybe Molson said to do it to sell more beer, your boss ask, you say no? Then throw him under the bus when it flashback?

I'm sad Sergachev is gone. I hope Drouin has a good camp and then gets traded to it's real value. Playing good offer options for the trade.

Whitesnake

If you rebuild, they will come.
Jan 5, 2003
Trade him for a similar contract on another team.

It's not as easy as it seems....Dadonov for Drouin? Would you take JT Compher from the AVS? Drouin in Colorado...that might work. Silferberg though he has a NMC. Teravainen? Debrusk? lol

rahad

Feb 3, 2016
montreal
Still don't think it was a mistake....Drouin > Sergachev for potential + talent. It's unfortunate it hasn't quite worked out - but I was happy we made the trade then and don't regret it. High end offensive talent - something we've been lacking for decades, I was happy we went for it.

Probably happy for his teammates.

In the end - no one knows why he's not playing. Everyone assumes it's for a certain reason, but it could be something completely different.

Good chance he's done in Montreal - but we'll see, he could also be back next season.

What do you mean by potential??? Sergachev had as much potential(top 4) as Drouin. He is also 3 years younger and bigger. Jonathan is useless if he does not produce point.

I don't understand is why we traded for Drouin. Did we not trade P.K Subban because of is attitude? Jonathan has already acting like a prima donna in a small market like tampa bay.
I'm pretty sure he told Bergevin to trade him after the coach put him on the fourth line. He did the same think in tampa bay and he is doing it a second time in Montreal.
We should have traded him last summer.

Steve Shutt

Don't Poke the Bear
May 31, 2007
No he won't. Like I said. Drouin is a .6 ppg player. That's not a problem for him. Playoffs or regular season. The rest of his game is. I'd rather have a less talented Killhorn that brings more in others aspects of the game for the same ppg in the playoffs.

He was ok last year. Nothing more, nothing less.

And who cares about his junior days seriously. If he really plays the same way like his junior days, he'd be a superstar right now.

Ok - Throw out his stats from under 20 and you still have a guy that produces at .777 ppg.

You might like him but I would be happy to see him on the team

tazsub3

May 30, 2016
What do you mean by potential??? Sergachev had as much potential(top 4) as Drouin. He is also 3 years younger and bigger. Jonathan is useless if he does not produce point.

I don't understand is why we traded for Drouin. Did we not trade P.K Subban because of is attitude? Jonathan has already acting like a prima donna in a small market like tampa bay.
I'm pretty sure he told Bergevin to trade him after the coach put him on the fourth line. He did the same think in tampa bay and he is doing it a second time in Montreal.
Was definitely a huge mistakes. But he also capitalized on other teams mistakes. In the end thats the game, no one is perfect.
MB big problems was not there. It was his first half of his tenure, when he hired failures after failure to coach the team and the prospects.
When Sly, JJD, therien are responsible to teaching / coaching your team. you are in big big trouble.
Guys, JJD and Sly are bellow level of a horrible ECHL coach. and yet they were coaching one of the richest teams in the league and for long even with failures. That was a way bigger problem then trading for drouin.
We paid a heavy and long price for these decisions, but since the reset, he learned on the job and started hiring better coaches suiting today players and today nhl. But still took him a while to axe julien.
But we can see it now with bouchard and dd .

Reactions: Catanddogguitarrr

jaffy27

From Russia wth Pain
Nov 18, 2007
Orleans
Still don't think it was a mistake....Drouin > Sergachev for potential + talent. .
Bro.....it was a mistake....don't kid yourself......there's a big enough sample size now that we can be honest with ourselves and say bad trade for the Habs.

In fact I'd say it was his worst trade as Sergachev-Weber tandem would've been amazing......

Anyways, we in the semi's now, that's what really matters at this point

le_sean

Oct 21, 2006

I mean Drouin was a 20/21 year old that came off an excellent playoff performance and a 53 point regular season. He just didn’t progress any further offensively. You can say that’s our scouting department’s fault for not being able to properly evaluate offensive potential. They also had the braindead idea of trying to turn him into a centre.

I’d also like to evaluate Sergachev away from Tampa. Let’s see how he does playing for Russia internationally, as an example. He’s completely sheltered now. Not just by being the #3, but being on an elite puck possession team. Not sure how he’d be on the 1st pairing in Montréal, had he stayed.

Reactions: Catanddogguitarrr

Leon Lucius Black

Nov 5, 2007
Wonder if Philly would do something around Drouin for Gostisbehere. Both have 2 years left, with Drouin's cap hit $1M higher.

Gustafsson has played well in his sheltered ice time so far, as Gostisbehere is a similar player with a higher ceiling maybe he could bounce back and fill a need for the Habs.

BLONG7

Oct 30, 2002
Nova Scotia
Visit site
Ok - Throw out his stats from under 20 and you still have a guy that produces at .777 ppg.

You might like him but I would be happy to see him on the team
Drouin does not produce .777 that is some serious cherry picking there...
He is currently in hiding, we all know this.
He got called out for 2 freaking goals this year, and left took his bat and ball and went home.
He has been a serious bum since the brutal lopsided trade...........
Yzerman is still laughing and is no longer even in Tampa....
Horrible horrible trade......horrible.

EXPOS123

Jun 29, 2010
Drouin does not produce .777 that is some serious cherry picking there...
He is currently in hiding, we all know this.
He got called out for 2 freaking goals this year, and left took his bat and ball and went home.
He has been a serious bum since the brutal lopsided trade...........
Yzerman is still laughing and is no longer even in Tampa....
Horrible horrible trade......horrible.
It's just sad to think what else we could have gotten for Sergachev.

Hell, if you think about it, imagine the kind of return we could have gotten for Sergachev + a first round pick + another lower level prospect.

We probably could have gotten Sebastien Aho or Sean Couterier at that point.

Reactions: BLONG7
Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad

-->