Jonathan Drouin is the new Phil Kessel

MapleLeafs9

Sep 22, 2011
It's actually hilarious how similar their situations are. Wingers, 1st 2 years are "okayish" with their teams that drafted them, career years in their 3rd seasons, then traded the following off-season at the same age and signed to long term deals worth 5.4-5.5M per.

Phil Kessel:

2006-2007 - 11G, 18A, 29P

2007-2008 - 19G, 18A, 37P

2008-2009 - 36G, 24A, 60P

2009 - Traded to TOR at age 22

Jonathan Drouin:

2014-2015 - 4G, 28A, 32P

2015-2016 - 4G, 6A, 10P

2016-2017 - 21G, 32A, 53P

2017 - Traded to MTL at age 22

They were both praised and criticized for pretty much the same things. Fast skilled wingers that had potential to be game changers, with questions about their defensive play and/or attitudes. Lets hope Drouin doesn't become a big meme like Kessel did.

goonybird

Young boy expert
Jul 9, 2015
Drouin is criticized for publicly demanding a trade - tanking his trade value at the time - and refusing to play. Everyone understands that he's a good player.

BostonBob

4 Ever The Greatest
Jan 26, 2004
Vancouver, BC
As a Bruins fan I'm OK with this comparison only if Drouin doesn't win a Stanley Cup until he is with his 3rd NHL team. :nod:

Mugzy97

#StandWitness
Mar 3, 2015
Halifax, NS
Different styles of play though in terms of getting points. Kessel is North-South and Drouin is more East-West, Kessel better shot, Drouin better playmaking ability

Freedom

Jan 23, 2017
Czech republic
Drouin is really great talent. His speed is impressive and puck-handling is great but I don´t think that will be able to reach offensive skills of Kessel. Especially carry his own line and be so important player in POs. Kessel´s POs and playmaking abilities were always underestimated. We will see but now I must say no.

DudeWhereIsMakar

Bergevin sent me an offer sheet
Apr 25, 2014
Winnipeg
Drouin is criticized for publicly demanding a trade - tanking his trade value at the time - and refusing to play. Everyone understands that he's a good player.

Honestly, he earned the right to demand a trade. He was not being used right and had the potential to put up 70 points.

Personally, I think Tampa will regret doing the trade and not playing him. I expect him to be awesome with Montreal. If he can find chemistry with Gally they should make the playoffs.

mtlmonk

Apr 21, 2014
Honestly, he earned the right to demand a trade. He was not being used right and had the potential to put up 70 points.

Personally, I think Tampa will regret doing the trade and not playing him. I expect him to be awesome with Montreal. If he can find chemistry with Gally they should make the playoffs.

Galchy you mean

Legionnaire11

Jul 12, 2007
Murfreesboro
atlantichockeyleague.com

At the time, he was being used properly because he wasn't doing the things that the coach was asking him to do.

The trade demand and demotion were more on his agent, and it ended up being a somewhat humbling experience where Drouin learned that he needed to act like a professional, get his total game in order and earn his ice time.

I also don't believe Tampa will regret this move as they still have a very potential top-6. If anything it's Montreal who will regret the trade, and not because of Drouin. He will be fantastic, but the defense is underwhelming without much help coming and they didn't address their center depth.

KevSkillz4

Apr 11, 2016
Yeah. Drouin is a playmaker (can score) and Kessel is a sniper (can pass), but the situation are similar. Two amazing player with great hands.

Sens of Anarchy

Jul 9, 2013
except for the character, sense of humor and of course the hotdogs. Kessel would love the steamys in Montreal

Flair Hay

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jun 22, 2010
Winnipeg
Drouin is a great player but he just seems like such a ****** bag.

I think he was hello immature and entitled in Tampa but he's already been good enough. Sometimes high picks think they should get to skip the lessons a 24 year old AHL player would because they're talented.

Trouble with trading these guys is they are irreplaceable once they figure it out.

As long as Sergachev turns out Tampa did okay. But Drouin will probably be a top five winger when he's a little more grizzled I'm a few years.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad