Player Discussion Jonathan Drouin II

Status
Not open for further replies.

groovejuice

Without deviation progress is not possible
Jun 27, 2011
Calgary
Indeed, but look at the lineup right now, we have good wingers, wingers that can produce, on all our lines ... Sure we might be lacking top end center(s) but in this season's beginning the team is rolling 4 lines and you can't tell which one is the third or fourth line on any given night, other than the Danault unit. I really like the lineup right now and getting production from Peca, Hudon and Byron on our bottom six is just proof that our depth on the wing is a non-negligeable asset, and hopefully, can carry this team far down the stretch.

It does look like 4 middle lines to me and that's better then a lot of alternatives. The lack of truly high end offensive talent and our makeshift D will eventually bite us, I'm afraid.

Hfbsux

Dec 22, 2012
how? it was his first time playing against much older, bigger, stronger players in a condensed schedule with major travel. Lot's of things to wear him down over that time frame, and it shouldn't be expected that he wouldn't hit a wall and keep up that pace which no U-20 blueliner has done since the high scoring 80's.

16 pts in 41 games, that's a pace of 32 pts which still would have been a very impressive rookie season for a 19 year old defensemen.

How are you so sure it was him being tired and not the players figuring out his game, or taking advantage of TB's defense hole more often? As I said, only time will tell about his defense play. Perhaps my other comments to groovejuice explains it better.

As for the 16 points comment, I did say it was good for a rookie defenseman, not the other way around.

montreal

Go Habs Go
Mar 21, 2002
www.youtube.com
How are you so sure it was him being tired and not the players figuring out his game, or taking advantage of TB's defense hole more often? As I said, only time will tell about his defense play. Perhaps my other comments to groovejuice explains it better.

As for the 16 points comment, I did say it was good for a rookie defenseman, not the other way around.

because there's not a lot of figure out with his game, he's got a great shot and can move the puck. But he's 19, never played that many games in such a short time vs bigger/stronger players. For me it's more common sense that he would hit a wall after putting up numbers in the first 3 months that would have put him as the best season ever for a U-20 defensemen since the '80's. That's just not likely to happen that he could do what no other U-20 defensemen could do since the high flying 80's.

Hfbsux

Dec 22, 2012
because there's not a lot of figure out with his game, he's got a great shot and can move the puck. But he's 19, never played that many games in such a short time vs bigger/stronger players. For me it's more common sense that he would hit a wall after putting up numbers in the first 3 months that would have put him as the best season ever for a U-20 defensemen since the '80's. That's just not likely to happen that he could do what no other U-20 defensemen could do since the high flying 80's.

Offensively, i agree.

DramaticGloveSave

Voice of Reason
Apr 17, 2017
So a top D prospect that we trade ends up having one of the best seasons any U-20 defensemen has had in the modern era and that's not embarrassing because his team was really good? The mere fact you call it a good season when it was one of the best shows a clear basis.

We traded for a winger that played like **** last year on one of the worst teams in the league, we don't need wingers, we need offensive LD prospects so we traded him and were even willing to throw in a 2nd round pick that lucky for us was on a condition that didn't hit or else that trade looks a lot worse then it already has.

Having Sergachev last year means we wouldn't need a #1 LD prospect. Of course he wouldn't have put up the same #'s, but it would be better for our future to have him vs not having a top LD prospect and more wingers.

He was still playing defense in the NHL at 19, no matter how much they shelter you, that's still a tough task for anyone and yet he had one of the best seasons any defensemen has had U-20 in the NHL.

Don't recall people calling him a perennial Norris winner, just a poor trade by a GM that shows a lack of vision and plan.

It's clear we lost this trade in year 1, now we'll see in year 2 and beyond. It's simple to me, I look at the trade and say what would happen a year later, so if you think TB takes JD back for Sergachev then we won that trade, if not we lost it.
Despite last seasons production, Sergachev might spend a lot of this year in the AHL since he’s already considered for healthy scratching and still needs developing. Drouin could be on the verge of his breakout. We will see.

Goodbahd

Dec 17, 2017
He’s been playing very well as of late. He’s hustling, forechecking and driving plays. Either he reads these parts or Claude talked to him.

DramaticGloveSave

Voice of Reason
Apr 17, 2017
He’s been playing very well as of late. He’s hustling, forechecking and driving plays. Either he reads these parts or Claude talked to him.
I think a big part of it is playing with Domi. Domi is one of those guys who has the respect of his teammates and holds his linemates accountable. You can't float around and play soft with him, and you accept it because he's going to feed you chances.

BBQ Chicken Alert!
Feb 20, 2003
Ottawa
I wonder if it's ever happened.

We so badly need a top LD prospect/young player with skill. It would fill our biggest hole in terms of prospects even though he's not really one.
We need a young top LD with skill who is also reliable to play on a top pair for 20+ mins a game.

Sergachev is not that.

At least not yet.

montreal

Go Habs Go
Mar 21, 2002
www.youtube.com
We need a young top LD with skill who is also reliable to play on a top pair for 20+ mins a game.

Sergachev is not that.

At least not yet.

I'm not talking about this year, I'm talking about when we are ready to contend. Sergachev is just want our system needs and he would fit perfect with the timeline of Kotka, Poehling, Suzuki, Brook, '19 draft picks.

Reactions: 417

teamfirst

Oct 28, 2016
We so badly need a top LD prospect/young player with skill. It would fill our biggest hole in terms of prospects even though he's not really one.

Ya but...... if we do, we would create a hole on the non prospect already in the NHL talented young number 1 left winger department

Prospect are cool, but......

SergeConstantin74

Always right.
Jul 7, 2007
tumblr_npo5tsCelH1s2hrxao1_400.gif

Kotkaniemi15

Sep 18, 2018
Montreal
Drouin seems to be really engaged. It looks like he's bought into the system which is huge for the Habs. The issues with his play were more because of overthinking plays and not trusting his teammates. That's not the case anymore. Last year, he would never forecheck or put in good effort. He's not lazy on defense anymore. It's like he had an epiphany. Last year, he pouted all the time. Not the case anymore. If you saw his reaction to Gallagher's GWG, you'd know he's excited. This is a different Drouin. Hopefully, he keeps it up.

Reactions: HKbleu

DramaticGloveSave

Voice of Reason
Apr 17, 2017
I'm not talking about this year, I'm talking about when we are ready to contend. Sergachev is just want our system needs and he would fit perfect with the timeline of Kotka, Poehling, Suzuki, Brook, '19 draft picks.
If Drouin is really breaking out, we'd be ALOT less talented up front without him.

montreal

Go Habs Go
Mar 21, 2002
www.youtube.com
Ya but...... if we do, we would create a hole on the non prospect already in the NHL talented young number 1 left winger department

Prospect are cool, but......

They have Domi. What's our deepest position, wingers, what's currently our biggest need, skilled LD prospects. At some point it has to be addressed.

WhiskeySeven*

Expect the expected
Jun 17, 2007
Domi is very much establishing himself as a legit top 6 C before our very eyes.
What is a "legit top6 c"?

Unless he's a 60-point pace player, he's replaceable and nobody should get attached. Same goes for Drouin. The club has enough medicore and middling talents.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad