Player Discussion Jonathan Drouin II

Status
Not open for further replies.

montreal

Go Habs Go
Mar 21, 2002
www.youtube.com
He's been playing like the player we traded for the past couple games. If he can continue that play then the trade won't look that bad for us. He's playing like an elite winger right now. Fans will quickly forget about Sergachev if this is the Drouin we see on a nightly basis. Let's wait a little bit to see if he can keep it going because consistency has been issue throughout his career.

fans won't quickly forget Sergachev because he's exactly the player we could use so badly right now. I bet if MB called TB and offered JD for Sergachev he would get hung up on.

Reactions: ottawa

Runner77

Sponsor
Jun 24, 2012
Agreed. I thought that he looked better and better with each game. The first game was really just him trying to deke out the whole team. I was worried he was going to turn into Gomez. Even in those early games you could see the effort and skating was there more than it was last year.

Let's hope he can just keep getting better and better as well as putting those 'Galchenyuk is more skilled' comments to bed too. Galch's skating will always hold him back. Though I think he can still do better with AZ than he did here, Drouin clearly has the higher upside imo.

What does Galchenyuk have to do with Drouin? Why don't we compare Drouin to Sergachev? Galchenyuk has zero to do with Drouin.

teamfirst

Oct 28, 2016
fans won't quickly forget Sergachev because he's exactly the player we could use so badly right now. I bet if MB called TB and offered JD for Sergachev he would get hung up on.

Lol....hope so, if they made the trade it's beceause they wanted Serge, what i find funny is this notion on here that Serge is already a proven number 1 D.....future is an always will be uncertain, he had a good first season with sheltered minutes playin against 3th and 4th liner wich is what you should do with young D,,,,so let's wait before sayin that ''he is exactly the player we could use so badly''.....and we also can say that Drouin is exactly the player we could use too....remember lack of offense against the Rangers 2 years ago.....no matter how badly some here want to declare this trade a lost, unfortunatly for you, we will know that only in 2-3 years from now

Kotkaniemi15

Sep 18, 2018
Montreal
I agree. The Habs were in win-now mode at the time of the trade. If they knew what was going to happen in the coming season, they probably wouldn't have made the move. Sergachev is overrated though. Habs fans are the only people outside of Lightning fans that really see him as a potential 1D. @montreal

Reactions: drouin93
Aug 25, 2009
éal
Sergachev who? The 6’2 200lb 19 year old 40 point defenseman that we traded for a noted 24 year old French head case that is he being pampered...
What exactly Drouin has done in Montréal to deserve a head case label? For what we know, he's been saying all the right stuff in the media, making himself available most of the night, and he is certainly not doing any nonsense/stupid play on the ice.. He was well like by Ducharme in the Q, he seems okay here, he was immature in Tampa Bay for a while but really who care if a 19 years old isnt totally mature? Seguin was a punk at some time and I would certainly take him on my team.

For the French part, you're right. But it doesnt have anything to do with anything unless you're a jerk.

Last edited:

crosbyshow

Aug 25, 2017
Sergachev who? The 6’2 200lb 19 year old 40 point defenseman that we traded for a noted 24 year old French head case that is he being pampered...[/QUOF

Frenchhhhhh head case.........

Can you write this again please????

CHwest

Talent sets the floor, character sets the ceiling.
May 24, 2011
I agree. The Habs were in win-now mode at the time of the trade. If they knew what was going to happen in the coming season, they probably wouldn't have made the move. Sergachev is overrated though. Habs fans are the only people outside of Lightning fans that really see him as a potential 1D. @montreal
Ok that's funny, win now, shakes head.

BBQ Chicken Alert!
Feb 20, 2003
Ottawa
For what it's worth...

It's not an all out love affair with Bolts fans and Sergachev this season.

He had an underwhelming preseason and he's been guilty of some costly mistakes this season.

Still not quite ready to be a full time top 4 Dman.

Of course, that's normal, he's only 20yrs old.

But just thought I'd add a bit more nuance to this discussion.

montreal

Go Habs Go
Mar 21, 2002
www.youtube.com
Lol....hope so, if they made the trade it's beceause they wanted Serge, what i find funny is this notion on here that Serge is already a proven number 1 D.....future is an always will be uncertain, he had a good first season with sheltered minutes playin against 3th and 4th liner wich is what you should do with young D,,,,so let's wait before sayin that ''he is exactly the player we could use so badly''.....and we also can say that Drouin is exactly the player we could use too....remember lack of offense against the Rangers 2 years ago.....no matter how badly some here want to declare this trade a lost, unfortunatly for you, we will know that only in 2-3 years from now

who says he's a proven #1, TB already has one of those. He put up more points then all but 4 Habs last year, that's f***ing embarrassing. A 19 year old rookie playing in such a tough position and he outscores almost our entire team and you call that a "good" season? What would be a great season? Sergachev is now tied for 13th in all time defensemen scoring for under 20 players in the NHL, only Werenski, Berard and Meyers have done better in the post '80's era.

But yes he's exactly what we need right now, a top LD prospect that has size and the big shot that we need. Drouin not so much since our best depth is on the wings.

Things might change in 2 or 3 years but we've already lost the trade and now have to hope that it balances out more. It's not unfortunate for me, I didn't make the trade, it's unfortunate for the Habs that they trade high end talent like Sergachev and Subban when you really shouldn't be trading high end talent like that before they even hit their prime.

Catanddogguitarrr

Jul 3, 2016
Nowhere land
I think Domis been perfect for him. He knows he’s got to work and skate as Max will hold him accountable. Plus Domi can skate with him and make plays for him.
It's a matter of fitting with other teamates. He seems to have a nice fit with Domi I have to say. And Lehkonen is one of our finest winger, now and for years to come.

For what it's worth...

He had an underwhelming preseason and he's been guilty of some costly mistakes this season.

No that's ok. We have to not forget he's only 20 yrs.
D takes more time to developp and sometimes never developp to reach the potential.
Beaulieu and Komisarek for example.
As long as the Drouin-Sergy trade looks good for our side. I think Bolts fans will like Sergy when he'll be 23 yrs, they can wait, they have a top nhl team.

I would like a big RW who can score goals with Drouin and Domi ! Nothing against Lehkonen but I think it miss a better goaler scorer then Lehkonen in this line !
I would prefer another type of winger but we don't have that. A bigger winger, more muscles in the corners and fill passes to Domi and Drouin. But Julien can work with Lehkonen and that line can do a more than decent job.

Last edited by a moderator:
Reactions: DramaticGloveSave

japhi

Jul 7, 2014
Mikhail Sergachev, 2pts in 3 games, +2.

It's been 5 games to the season for Drouin, with 4 of those games against weak defenses, let's hold off popping the champagne.

While I agree with you it goes both ways. The story on this trade still to be told, Droin needs to produce consitently and Serge has to demonstrate he can start in his own end and play NHL D

teamfirst

Oct 28, 2016
who says he's a proven #1, TB already has one of those. He put up more points then all but 4 Habs last year, that's ****ing embarrassing

Not embarrassing for me, i'm able to understand that playin with a stacked loaded offense like TB sure can help you boosting your offensive stats, and i'm not here to downsize his performance of last year, i think he had a good season and i'm also sure that he wouldnt had the same kind of stats if he was playing with us last year

But yes he's exactly what we need right now, a top LD prospect that has size and the big shot that we need.

Ya....would be great but he was the price to pay to get a talented forward like Drouin, you have your opinion on that and i have mine, i think it was worthed, like i said we will have a better idea in 2-3 tears from now

Things might change in 2 or 3 years but we've already lost the trade

How can you say that.....do you really think that having Sergatchev last year would have change anything, you think that we would have made the playoffs....and do you think that TB without Sergatchev would have been a worst team....dont think so

Reactions: 417

habergeon

Apr 15, 2015
Call me crazy but I still think Drouin will be a 70 point guy. Maybe not this year, but soon.

All this guy needs is a bonafide center and he puts up better numbers than Patches.

japhi

Jul 7, 2014
who says he's a proven #1, TB already has one of those. He put up more points then all but 4 Habs last year, that's ****ing embarrassing. A 19 year old rookie playing in such a tough position and he outscores almost our entire team and you call that a "good" season? What would be a great season? Sergachev is now tied for 13th in all time defensemen scoring for under 20 players in the NHL, only Werenski, Berard and Meyers have done better in the post '80's era.

But yes he's exactly what we need right now, a top LD prospect that has size and the big shot that we need. Drouin not so much since our best depth is on the wings.

Things might change in 2 or 3 years but we've already lost the trade and now have to hope that it balances out more. It's not unfortunate for me, I didn't make the trade, it's unfortunate for the Habs that they trade high end talent like Sergachev and Subban when you really shouldn't be trading high end talent like that before they even hit their prime.

Playing a tough position? He started 71% in the ozone behind one of the best offensive teams in the league. Basically as easy minutes as a player has ever gotten in the NHL. DD dreams of minutes that easy.

And yes he outscored all but 4 Habs but 7 lightning players outscored him. Yanni Gourde is a 65 point player on that team so lets be somewhat realistic about what 40 points playing almost every start in the o zone means on a team like that.

I have no idea how the trade will play out - I think TB likely wins this one - but Serge last year had almost un precedented soft minutes. Until he plays 24 mins a game all situations He isn’t a top pair d man.

DramaticGloveSave

Voice of Reason
Apr 17, 2017
For what it's worth...

I have many friends and family in Tampa and none of them hold Sergachev in the same light as habs fans lol

Habs fans have this guy as a perennial Norris winner while Bolts fans have yet to pencil him in as a top 4.

MasterD

Giggidy Giggidy Goo
Jul 1, 2004
I have many friends and family in Tampa and none of them hold Sergachev in the same light as habs fans lol

Habs fans have this guy as a perennial Norris winner while Bolts fans have yet to pencil him in as a top 4.

Name another 19 years old dman that got 40 points recently that ended up not being a top4 dman.

Kriss E

May 3, 2007
Jeddah
He’s definitely on track but he isn’t one yet. This idea that we’ve already lost the trade is just not factual.
If people are basing it as of today, then ya, one can easily factually argue TB got the better player.
Now, maybe in 2 years, that will be a different story.
Just like plenty of fans were very happy with this trade when it happened. Then we saw Bergevin sit on his add and do nothing, making a lot of those same fans scratch their heads as to why in the world we made that trade.

Milhouse40

Aug 19, 2010
He’s definitely on track but he isn’t one yet. This idea that we’ve already lost the trade is just not factual.

It's a combination of things to evaluate.
Habs have too much wingers and would need a good PMD.....so trading for a PMD for a wingers wasn't the best idea in the world.
Now, if that winger was really good it's one thing, but as of today, Drouin didn't do anything special...was even a little underwhelming.
Then factor in that this winger cost 4.5M more than the PMD.....then it's pretty much a fact that as of today, Habs lost that trade.

Max2

Nov 17, 2013
From the Tampa blogger:
Finally, Mikhail Sergachev has had a putrid start. He has been a turnover machine, and unable to create offense. He is very young, but he has been reliably creating scoring chances for his opponents. One wonders if a healthy scratch is coming in the not too distant future.

I am sure Sergachev will get things straight soon enough,but the trade is not as lopsided as some suggest if Drouin can continue to play inspired hockey.Drouin is one of the most talented players in the NHL but seems to have cognitive issues approaching the game at times and this often atrophies for him.If he can continue to work on this,he will be a star for us for many years.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad