Player Discussion Jonathan Drouin - Dr Jeckel And Mister Hyde Vibes Edition

Status
Not open for further replies.

Habs Halifax

Loyal Habs Fan
Jul 11, 2016
East Coast
He is still dumb as rock, soft and terrible defensively, but he's decent at producing offense, I'm fine with it.

What does he need to do to impress you? Put on 20 lbs of muscle and go to Harvard university?

giphy.gif

cphabs

The 2 stooges….
Dec 21, 2012
He is still dumb as rock, soft and terrible defensively, but he's decent at producing offense, I'm fine with it.
I don’t think he is “dumb” anymore. I think is an emotional player that will play his heart out if he feels belonged or accepted. We’re starting to see this. Good/Bad Right/Wrong, that is what I am thinking. Not such a bad thing either. Kid has soul! Hell, he told Yzerman to go f*** himself. LOL.

Jul 6, 2016
Drouin is doing exactly what was expected from him. And he has the skills and talent to keep going. I guess his ex-Junior coach Ducharme woke him up.

Reactions: MrGold

Habs Halifax

Loyal Habs Fan
Jul 11, 2016
East Coast
great use of that gif

Be less of a cock hockey player, but thats in him.

Great confidence to rock that crappy flow though.

Credit to you for taking the humor side of it :). I got your point. It's been the same concern/hope I had with how Drouin can turn his game around but there are limits to how good he can be due to the soft style and maturity issue.

It's nice to see him put up some points and feed off his line-mates. All I know is I rather have him than not have him. Sergachev would be nice too but both are team needs. Take Drouin out and insert Sergachev and it results in another hole up front. Play making winger with goal scoring ability. We need that too. No idea how good Sergachev will be and we will have to wait to find out.

Habs Halifax

Loyal Habs Fan
Jul 11, 2016
East Coast
I don’t think he is “dumb” anymore. I think is an emotional player that will play his heart out if he feels belonged or accepted. We’re starting to see this. Good/Bad Right/Wrong, that is what I am thinking. Not such a bad thing either. Kid has soul! Hell, he told Yzerman to go **** himself. LOL.

I agree. He is playing much smarter and I'm sure Ducharme is helping. Drouin is the type where if you want him to do something, tell him he can't and he will.

The other thing I'd like to see is what his game looks like when he does get a bit stronger as he ages to his 25-30 years. He's never going to be a power forward type winger but we have to assume he matures even more and gets stronger? My latest focus is educating some who jump on players from age 20-25. A lot of players struggle in this age range and end up finding their game from 25-30. Drouin is 23 and I have faith in him being a pt/game type player if he has talent to work with.

The young core is something to build on for sure. 13 solid assets from age 18-23. Hard to say how good Romanov, Ylonen, Evans, Olofsson are but I expect some to show promise (and this don't include the many other prospects). Add in a few key vets and the future looks like something. Still need about two more grade A prospects IMO though. Power forward at LW and a stud with Size/Skating/Skill at LD.

Domi: 23
Drouin: 23
Lehkonen: 23
Evans: 22
Juulsen: 21
Suzuki: 19
Poehling: 19
Brook: 19
Primeau: 19
Ylonen: 19
Kotkaniemi: 18
Romanov: 18
Olofsson: 18

It would be interesting to see NHL projected rosters from each teams fan base from age 23 and under. How do the Habs look in this case compared to the rest of the league?

Last edited:
Reactions: Acadien86

Habs Icing

Formerly Onice
Jan 17, 2004
Montreal
Jeeze, man, I've been one of the harshest critics of Drouin but you gotta give the kid his dues.He has simplified his offensive game to the point where he is a threat to the opposing goalie almost everytime he is on the ice or he is making one of his line mates a threat. As for his defensive play, I never thought I would say this but the last few games he is playing better defense than Domi or Shaw.

Last night he made one mistake - holding onto the puck at the offensive blue line and it led to an odd man rush. Other than that he has been excellent. And he is even throwing body checks .

There is nothing more we can ask of this kid, if he continues to play the way he has.

Last edited:

yianik

Jun 30, 2009
Beaulieu I think is a guy who does not have the vision and smarts and so would throw the puck cross ice in his own zone though there would be an opposing player a few feet from the passing lane, and boom.

With Drouin I think the observations about emotion are correct. I think the vision and smarts are there. But when he isnt playing well what I usually see is a guy not overly engaged who is coasting to wherever he is going, not moving his feet, and has bursts of trying to force passes or more typical, try to stickhandle through several opposing players regardless of where he is on the ice.

It's like he is trying to be the guy, to be what he thinks he is and what everyone expects of him so he tries to force plays which invariably do not work out.

He is the epitome of a player who needs to play with skill guys, so the cream rises etc is garbage with him.

I am hoping he has hit a comfort zone with Domi whereby he is engaged because I think Domi is engaged and the skill is there so that Drouin doesnt try to force things, he doesnt have to, he and Domi will create together.

If Domi gets injured or has a bad spell, I could see Drouin revert to the bad habits. Hopefully maturity will kick in at some point so that Drouin could carry on without Domi, or help Domi out of a slump etc.

For certain though , Drouin has the skill set , and he is a 1st line winger when he is mentally on. We need him to be consistent.

Cobra Commander

Sep 30, 2017
Bell Center
great use of that gif

Be less of a cock hockey player, but thats in him.

Great confidence to rock that crappy flow though.
So less cocky, so change him? Make him not want to score goals? Take his motivation away? Personally I like players who are looking at their own stats, they want to produce and that is good for the team. I have noticed Drouin’s cockiness on the ice has gone up since playing with Domi, but the production has also gone threw the roof. He will mature with age. We have ourselves one heck of a player here!

THE HOFF

Sep 26, 2007
I saw Drouin make 2 mistakes last night, losing the puck in the center ice and offensive zone but his backcheck was really good. I didn't even know he could backcheck before this season. He's not only more mature with the puck but plays with more heart.

He's been improving, its not just his work ethic. I liked the confidence he had on that 1v1 last night where he almost scored cutting inside. Playing with Domi and Shaw will help raise the physical parts of his game and his implication.

Its insane how much better we look at center and left wing this year. Drouin-tatar-byron-agostino. That's as legit a left wing as they come.

BBQ Chicken Alert!
Feb 20, 2003
Ottawa
I saw Drouin make 2 mistakes last night, losing the puck in the center ice and offensive zone but his backcheck was really good. I didn't even know he could backcheck before this season. He's not only more mature with the puck but plays with more heart.
Drouin is going to lose the puck from time to time...it's something fans/coaches/media will have to live with because that's the kind of player he is.

Issue for him will be to manage when/where he takes risks.

Habs Halifax

Loyal Habs Fan
Jul 11, 2016
East Coast
Drouin is going to lose the puck from time to time...it's something fans/coaches/media will have to live with because that's the kind of player he is.

Issue for him will be to manage when/where he takes risks.

There is also a factor of the ability of his line-mates to get in open spots for him to feed the puck too. I played ball hockey this past week and the players I played with were dump. They got lazy and didn't know how to do give and goes or to support the ball carrier by going to open spots. Very frustrating. It was a mess of turnovers cause not one player can do everything.

Drouin is maturing before our own eyes Habs fans.

Miller Time

Sep 16, 2004
Jeeze, man, I've been one of the harshest critics of Drouin but you gotta give the kid his dues.He has simplified his offensive game to the point where he is a threat to the opposing goalie almost everytime he is on the ice or he is making one of his line mates a threat. As for his defensive play, I never thought I would say this but the last few games he is playing better defense than Domi or Shaw.

Last night he made one mistake - holding onto the puck at the offensive blue line and it led to an odd man rush. Other than that he has been excellent. And he is even throwing body checks .

There is nothing more we can ask of this kid, if he continues to play the way he has.

i agree... I was not at all impressed with the trade, nor with his play through his first year here (though MB set him up to fail with the whole C stupidity). He started the season playing the same way, but he definitely seems to be competing much better and playing a simpler, more effective, game the past 2-3 weeks.... I hope it's the sign of a turning point in his career, true test will be once he confronts some adversity (be it injury or prolonged slump).

The talent is obviously there... does he have the will and the grit to translate that into consistent top-line caliber play? Time will tell, i certainly hope so!

Reactions: Cobra Commander

Habs

We should have drafted Michkov
Feb 28, 2002
He's turned me from a critic and basher, to someone who really appreciates his game this season. He backs up the entire 5 man unit on the other end, there isn't many players you can say that about if you think about it. His little blunders don't even bother me right now, because he's working really hard out there. Sign either Marner or Maathews to an offer sheet, and he's dishing out 70 assists a year.

Chr1s97

Jul 25, 2018
Montreal
I always been high on Drou during his Jr time and his Tampa time. I always appreciated the way he play, he's an exciting player bless with alot of skills. But last year I start to question his willingness to win. I really thinks that Domi's attitude is really what Drou need. We saw him play his best hockey of the year last year with Gallagher and now he p'au his best hockey since he got here playing with domi. If he can keep playing with those type of guy and develop this kind of willingness I reallythink Drou can become an elite in this game. I dont think hell need a nylander or marner to hit 70 pts.

CoupeStanley

Dec 1, 2003
Nicolet
coupestanley.com
The worst decision made about Drouin was forcing him to play at center last season.

He's clearly more comfortable on the wing but I am not sure it was that bad of a decision. It forced him to learn a lot of defensive stuff and see the game differently.
There was also a stretch where he started to look very good but he couldn't sustain it.

It's all part of a process.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad