Player Discussion Jonathan Drouin - Dr Jeckel And Mister Hyde Vibes Edition

Status
Not open for further replies.

montreal

Go Habs Go
Mar 21, 2002
www.youtube.com
I mean despite a bad season, learning a new position, on a **** team in a new environment, Drouin was still 3rd on the team in scoring last year, 8 points away from 1st. Sergachev was on the best team in the East and the best offensive team in the league. It was way too reactionary to say the trade was a loss.

Now Drouin has settled in, playing his natural position. Sergachev is struggling, I expect him to turn it around at some point. But to say it’s a loss for the Habs is wrong.

But Drouin who was older and coming off a 53 pts season where he had a .73 ppg and was on pace for 60 pts to a season where he dropped to 47 pts and a .6 ppg which means he was on pace for 49 pts. Then on top of that was how he played, he looked like a soft lazy cream puff. So after getting a 33M contract, you can see why fans would be pissed at his play vs Sergachev who had one of the best seasons a 19 year old blueline has ever had.

Yes we sucked, yes Drouin was playing center again, a position he had played before but clearly isn't a fit there. Yes Sergachev played on a powerhouse team. But when you are talking about a 19 year old on a 892K cap hit vs a 22 year old on a 5.5M cap hit and the 19 year old almost has as many points as the center that's very troubling. Add to that fans were just pissed off in general after just going through the 2nd worst season the Habs have had in the modern era, and a GM that clearly got us there with his numerous mistakes.

I would be willing to bet that if you asked non Hab fans at the end of last season who did that trade favor it would be a landslide in TB's favor and that's with us getting lucky not having to give up that 2nd round pick. Now it's looking much better, at the end of the year we'll see by how much. It should be in our favor, we traded a 9th OA 19 year old for a 3rd OA 22 year old, we should have been ahead in this trade for a few years until the blueliner started to find his way.

Granted maybe Sergachev has peaked already, maybe Drouin goes on to be a very good NHLer, we won't know so we'll just have to see how each year goes.

Merci Saku

Sep 9, 2006
Longueuil, Québec
Trying not to look to far down the road but it's been a hell of a long time since the Habs had 2 forwards at a ppg pace

Domi and Drouin, wow! talk about unexpected

Thing were looking bad last time but how things change fast on our top 6

1- ? - DOMI - DROUIN
2- ? - KOTKANIEMI - GALLAGHER

add in Lehkonen, Suzuki, Poehling

Add 2 top 6 and this is a great lineup for now and the future

Reactions: TooLegitToQuit

DangerDave

Mete's Shot
Feb 8, 2015
T.O
But Drouin who was older and coming off a 53 pts season where he had a .73 ppg and was on pace for 60 pts to a season where he dropped to 47 pts and a .6 ppg which means he was on pace for 49 pts. Then on top of that was how he played, he looked like a soft lazy cream puff. So after getting a 33M contract, you can see why fans would be pissed at his play vs Sergachev who had one of the best seasons a 19 year old blueline has ever had.

Yes we sucked, yes Drouin was playing center again, a position he had played before but clearly isn't a fit there. Yes Sergachev played on a powerhouse team. But when you are talking about a 19 year old on a 892K cap hit vs a 22 year old on a 5.5M cap hit and the 19 year old almost has as many points as the center that's very troubling. Add to that fans were just pissed off in general after just going through the 2nd worst season the Habs have had in the modern era, and a GM that clearly got us there with his numerous mistakes.

I would be willing to bet that if you asked non Hab fans at the end of last season who did that trade favor it would be a landslide in TB's favor and that's with us getting lucky not having to give up that 2nd round pick. Now it's looking much better, at the end of the year we'll see by how much. It should be in our favor, we traded a 9th OA 19 year old for a 3rd OA 22 year old, we should have been ahead in this trade for a few years until the blueliner started to find his way.

Granted maybe Sergachev has peaked already, maybe Drouin goes on to be a very good NHLer, we won't know so we'll just have to see how each year goes.

Exactly. Way too early to tell. But if this is the version of Drouin that we get then I'm ok with the trade regardless of Sergachev. Drouin so far this year has been excellent despite the inconsistency.

crosbyshow

Aug 25, 2017
With Drouin it’s all about consistency and maturity. He is easily the most talented Forward we have seen in a Habs Jersey since the days of Turgeon and Damphousse. He has an opportunity to become a special player...up to him

Agree.

Drouin has the talent to have the city at his feet. I hope that he realize this.

He is the most spectacular forward on this team since Kovalev....but like Kovy and Richer before him.... that kind of players are frustrating sometimes but jeez that they able to give a hell of a show...and they were so good in the playoffs.

Reactions: Tyson

BBQ Chicken Alert!
Feb 20, 2003
Ottawa

Was clear to me and I mentioned it here several times...that it was way too early to close the books on the Drouin/Sergachev trade and I still think it's too early.

Ultimately, I think both teams will be happy, but as we speak...it's arrow up for Drouin and arrow down for Sergachev.

Reactions: le_sean

26Mats

Jun 23, 2018
Was clear to me and I mentioned it here several times...that it was way too early to close the books on the Drouin/Sergachev trade and I still think it's too early.

Ultimately, I think both teams will be happy, but as we speak...it's arrow up for Drouin and arrow down for Sergachev.

Anybody confidently projecting what kind of dman Sergachev will be is out of their mind. He's shown enough upside to be a Norris trophy winner. Remember how long it took Hedman to round into form? He was a 20-something point dman his first 3 years.

BBQ Chicken Alert!
Feb 20, 2003
Ottawa
Anybody confidently projecting what kind of dman Sergachev will be is out of their mind. He's shown enough upside to be a Norris trophy winner. Remember how long it took Hedman to round into form? He was a 20-something point dman his first 3 years.
Hmm...I don't know, I don't see Norris trophy in his future.

I think he's got wonderful instincts but he's such a risky player in his own zone, its literally like someone unplugs the controller with him and this is an issue that dates back to his junior career, this doesn't seem like something he will work through.

I certainly don't like to "call it" on a 20yr old player, especially a Dman.

But I don't think he'll ever be a top pairing guy because I think he's always going to have a risk factor attached to his game. He's not a guy who will inspire a lot of confidence in his coaches.

He's got the same warts in his game that had scouts questioning him in his draft year - he hasn't improved on this. Even last year, he put up points but his season was very uneven and he was sheltered big time and that hasn't changed this year.

That being said, I think he will be a guy who puts up a lot of points because as disengaged as he is defensively, it's the opposite offensively.

Victor Hedman didn't have the same issues as a young player, so I don't think that's a fair comparison personally.

Reactions: Vachon23

26Mats

Jun 23, 2018
Hmm...I don't know, I don't see Norris trophy in his future.

I think he's got wonderful instincts but he's such a risky player in his own zone, its literally like someone unplugs the controller with him and this is an issue that dates back to his junior career, this doesn't seem like something he will work through.

I certainly don't like to "call it" on a 20yr old player, especially a Dman.

But I don't think he'll ever be a top pairing guy because I think he's always going to have a risk factor attached to his game. He's not a guy who will inspire a lot of confidence in his coaches.

He's got the same warts in his game that had scouts questioning him in his draft year - he hasn't improved on this. Even last year, he put up points but his season was very uneven and he was sheltered big time and that hasn't changed this year.

That being said, I think he will be a guy who puts up a lot of points because as disengaged as he is defensively, it's the opposite offensively.

Victor Hedman didn't have the same issues as a young player, so I don't think that's a fair comparison personally.

I was only comparing those who judge young dmen, not the dmen themselves...

Yes, Sergachev could definitely be Mike Green. But Mike Green is egregiously bad defensively. It will be interesting to see how Sergachev is defensively at 25.

Reactions: 417

Habs Halifax

Loyal Habs Fan
Jul 11, 2016
East Coast

Sergachev is offensive minded. Tampa is trying to groom him in terms of reliability in his own end. I like Sergachev a lot but has he really showed enough to be Norris Trophy type? Not sure I'm willing to go that far. He has a very good year last year and he has followed this up with a bit of a setback in his 2nd season at age 20.

We can make the Hedman comparison or we can make the Ekblad comparison as well. Were talking about a good young defenseman with the Size/Skill/Skating combo. But he has a very long way to go before he is a Norris Trophy contender. Just like Ekblad

Reactions: cphabs

DangerDave

Mete's Shot
Feb 8, 2015
T.O
All comes down to who Drouin plays with. Domi fits.
Yeah he certainly does. I see Sedin like chemistry between those two at times. I think Byron will complement them very well too. Tons of speed, nose for the net, decent siill and he's solid defensively. Might be just what the doctor ordered

cphabs

The 2 stooges….
Dec 21, 2012
Sergachev is offensive minded. Tampa is trying to groom him in terms of reliability in his own end. I like Sergachev a lot but has he really showed enough to be Norris Trophy type? Not sure I'm willing to go that far. He has a very good year last year and he has followed this up with a bit of a setback in his 2nd season at age 20.

We can make the Hedman comparison or we can make the Ekblad comparison as well. Were talking about a good young defenseman with the Size/Skill/Skating combo. But he has a very long way to go before he is a Norris Trophy contender. Just like Ekblad
Kid is playing some tough f***ing minutes and a lot of them LOL

Habs Halifax

Loyal Habs Fan
Jul 11, 2016
East Coast
Ya, Domi is a special player IMO. So is Drouin, but I can see them becoming the best of friends regardless. Pretty cool to see! Happy for both of them.

It is nice to see. I just find if funny where people are quick to jump on players. Not saying you in particular but in general, the Habs fan base has zero or hero mentality.

1) Bergevin guts the team D and Price struggles. People ignore that every single good goalie needs a solid D in front of them. No goalie is god and the whole "Habs are nothing without Price" propaganda was BS. Price was complemented by a strong D and produced. They go hand and hand.

2) Drouin comes to the Habs and we try him at center with the lazy soft Patch as his winger. A recipe for disaster. I remember having wars with some posters telling them that we will only see Drouin's potential once we surround him with talent. Patch is one dimensional... he lives on his shot and his line mates to do all the work. I said, it don't matter if Drouin plays wing or center, he needs talent to play with.

The Galchenyuk and Patch returns have yielded us crazy good returns. I can see Drouin and Domi being a long time pair and I'd like to see how Gallagher would fit with them

26Mats

Jun 23, 2018
Yeah he certainly does. I see Sedin like chemistry between those two at times. I think Byron will complement them very well too. Tons of speed, nose for the net, decent siill and he's solid defensively. Might be just what the doctor ordered
Chemistry is always get decided on the ice. Byron was flying out there last night, so I also really hope what should be a good trio in theory ends up being one in practice.

cphabs

The 2 stooges….
Dec 21, 2012
It is nice to see. I just find if funny where people are quick to jump on players. Not saying you in particular but in general, the Habs fan base has zero or hero mentality.

1) Bergevin guts the team D and Price struggles. People ignore that every single good goalie needs a solid D in front of them. No goalie is god and the whole "Habs are nothing without Price" propaganda was BS. Price was complemented by a strong D and produced. They go hand and hand.

2) Drouin comes to the Habs and we try him at center with the lazy soft Patch as his winger. A recipe for disaster. I remember having wars with some posters telling them that we will only see Drouin's potential once we surround him with talent. Patch is one dimensional... he lives on his shot and his line mates to do all the work. I said, it don't matter if Drouin plays wing or center, he needs talent to play with.

The Galchenyuk and Patch returns have yielded us crazy good returns.
Drouin is an emotionally skilled player and so Domi IMO. Looks like they have found eachotther. This is hindsight on my part, but still good to see! I have bashed Drouin pretty hard. As I have stated before, I will buy an official tackled jersey of Drouin’s if he breaks 70 points this year.

DangerDave

Mete's Shot
Feb 8, 2015
T.O
Chemistry is always get decided on the ice. Byron was flying out there last night, so I also really hope what should be a good trio in theory ends up being one in practice.
True. Byron seems to have chemistry with everyone though. He seems easy to play with. You can put him anywhere in the lineup and he'll do a good job. Very underrated around here

Habs Halifax

Loyal Habs Fan
Jul 11, 2016
East Coast
Drouin is an emotionally skilled player and so Domi IMO. Looks like they have found eachotther. This is hindsight on my part, but still good to see! I have bashed Drouin pretty hard. As I have stated before, I will buy an official tackled jersey of Drouin’s if he breaks 70 points this year.

It's certainly frustrating to see Drouin struggle. I get it. I'm a bit bias cause I live in Halifax and I saw Drouin at his best. 1.89 pts/game in the Q man. This kid has skills and with me, I think his real value is from age 25-30. That's where I evaluate his maturity and complete game.

Same type of game Gaudreau has (skilled but soft). Maybe Gaudreau is better and most would agree but Drouin has the skills to measure up IMO. Who he plays with and how much he works at improving his game are keys

Drouin still needs a bit of a kick in the ass at times and I hope he is willing to listen to Ducharme. One thing I noticed is Drouin has stopped trying to dangle everybody. He is feeding off his line mates and not sure if he noticed this or the coaches but there has been improvement in that area for sure

26Mats

Jun 23, 2018
True. Byron seems to have chemistry with everyone though. He seems easy to play with. You can put him anywhere in the lineup and he'll do a good job. Very underrated around here

True, but I'm hoping Byron, who's now in his prime, could put up even better numbers playing on this line than the 20-20 he's been putting up.

Reactions: Frank Drebin

cphabs

The 2 stooges….
Dec 21, 2012
It's certainly frustrating to see Drouin struggle. I get it. I'm a bit bias cause I live in Halifax and I saw Drouin at his best. 1.89 pts/game in the Q man. This kid has skills and with me, I think his real value is from age 25-30. That's where I evaluate his maturity and complete game.

Same type of game Gaudreau has (skilled but soft). Maybe Gaudreau is better and most would agree but Drouin has the skills to measure up IMO. Who he plays with and how much he works at improving his game are keys

Drouin still needs a bit of a kick in the ass at times and I hope he is willing to listen to Ducharme. One thing I noticed is Drouin has stopped trying to dangle everybody. He is feeding off his line mates and not sure if he noticed this or the coaches but there has been improvement in that area for sure
Simple, he has a friend on the ice and feeling part of a team. Hey, you know the kid? If he breaks 70 I’d like my jersey signed with “I told you so, Johnny” LMAO

Reactions: TooLegitToQuit

Habs Halifax

Loyal Habs Fan
Jul 11, 2016
East Coast

I like Byron used in the bottom 6. I think he can play 2nd line very easily but he don't need that much help to produce IMO. He just needs someone to feed him the puck on the fly where he has a bit of open space in front of him.

I'd like the Habs to move towards this approach...

Drouin / Domi / Gallagher
Lehkonen or Tatar / Kotkaniemi / Armia
Tatar or Lehkonen / Danault / Byron
??? / Shaw / ???

Fill in Hudon, Peca, Deslauriers, Agostino on the 4th line as you see fit.

crosbyshow

Aug 25, 2017
Nice to read your comment on drouin

I thought that you was not always fair with him. He is a frustrating player sometimes I get that . he will still be lazy and soft sometimes but jeez this kid is so exiting to watch when he is on!!

Reactions: Frank Drebin
Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad