Confirmed with Link: Jonathan Dahlen to San Jose for Linus Karlsson (87th overall 2018)

Status
Not open for further replies.

DomY

Aug 11, 2008
You can also credit Archibald and to an extent Carconne as Utica "successes." Although Carconne hasn't played an NHL game yet he managed to turn into something at all attractive to the Leafs and got the Canucks Leivo.

Ryp37

Nov 6, 2011
You can also credit Archibald and to an extent Carconne as Utica "successes." Although Carconne hasn't played an NHL game yet he managed to turn into something at all attractive to the Leafs and got the Canucks Leivo.

Or the leafs needed a roster spot for Nylander and just so happened to have a fringe player demand a trade

DomY

Aug 11, 2008
Or the leafs needed a roster spot for Nylander and just so happened to have a fringe player demand a trade

Did the job though. Carconne was signed for nothing and we got a top 6 forward out of it. I wish him well in his career but as far as the Canucks are concerned it was a worthy investment.

Ryp37

Nov 6, 2011
Did the job though. Carconne was signed for nothing and we got a top 6 forward out of it. I wish him well in his career but as far as the Canucks are concerned it was a worthy investment.
I’m just saying that trade had very little to do with Carcone himself

VanJack

Jul 11, 2014
I'm struggling to come up with the name of a single everyday player in VanCity who was actually developed by Utica. Virtanen might be only one, but he only spent half a season there. And Demko. Although goalies almost always need AHL time.

It's a 'chicken and egg' debate I guess. Are these just mediocre draft picks by the Canucks or is Utica the place where prospects go to die?

I am toxic

. . . even in small doses
Oct 24, 2014
Vancouver
I'm struggling to come up with the name of a single everyday player in VanCity who was actually developed by Utica. Virtanen might be only one, but he only spent half a season there. And Demko. Although goalies almost always need AHL time.

It's a 'chicken and egg' debate I guess. Are these just mediocre draft picks by the Canucks or is Utica the place where prospects go to die?

Baertschi. (And Marky, but that was on Clouts and Rollie).

VanJack

Jul 11, 2014
Marky I'd agree with....although he was far from a finished product when he arrived and has worked hard on his game the past two seasons.

But Baertschi?....not too sure.....he was up and down between the Canucks and the Comets after he was acquired...but seems to me he did most of AHL development time with the Flames and the Abbotsford Heat.

RandV

It's a wolf v2.0
Jul 29, 2003
Vancouver
Visit site
Well dahlens agent says he wanted a trade...so pretty clear cut

I don't recall his agent specifically saying that but in general this situation can still be true from both sides because the agent can be a 3rd party middleman here. Dahlen doesn't actually ask for a trade but voices his complaints to his agent. Agent gets a chance to talk with Benning, tells him his client isn't happy with the situation. Benning who was maybe already leaning that way takes that as a hint and decides to trade Dahlen.

RandV

It's a wolf v2.0
Jul 29, 2003
Vancouver
Visit site
That would imply there is no room for MacEwen either.

And this maybe excuses Utica a bit on the goose egg. Seems like whenever a guy gets close he's either lost, let go, or traded for another teams junk. For the guys that have managed to stick around like Biega, Gaunce, and the recently traded Archibald it's like they have to pry someones nails to get a spot on the Canucks.

The farm team may not be doing a good job of developing prospects for the Canucks, but management certainly isn't doing any favours to help Utica either. Ultimately I think the buck stops with Benning here.

VanJack

Jul 11, 2014
Benning is probably lucky the Comets are thousands of miles away in Utica, NY. If this team was playing at the Abbotsford Entertainment Center and local fans could see first-hand how these draft picks are wilting like lawnmower grass in the hot sun, their'd be a lot more grumbling.

If you take stock of what was expected in Utica this year versus where things are headed--it's been a disastrous season. And the buck stops in VanCity, not in Utica.

Reactions: pomorick

Megaterio Llamas

el rey del mambo
Oct 29, 2011
North Shore
https://www.tsn.ca/radio/vancouver-...ation-gathering-stretch-for-canucks-1.1270332

Everyone should listen to this interview with Ferraro about development and the impact usage and deployment can have on a young player. If this is true I dont fault young guys who aren't getting chances to develop properly for wanting to leave.
That wasn't Dahlen though. He was strictly on the top two lines and the first power play unit all season long, no matter how badly things went for him. If there were issues between him and his teammates it was quite likely down to this favored son treatment.

Phenomenon13

Oct 10, 2011
That wasn't Dahlen though. He was strictly on the top two lines and the first power play unit all season long, no matter how badly things went for him. If there were issues between him and his teammates it was quite likely down to this favored son treatment.
Botchford said that dahlen was 11th for even strength forwards in toi but the pp usage bumped his ice time a lot.

Luck 6

\\_______
Oct 17, 2008
Vancouver
We haven’t really had to use Utica to develop prospects lately as young guys like Horvat, Boeser, Hutton, Stecher, Pettersson, Gaudette, etc. jumped right into the NHL and developed there.

Then, we had guys like Baertschi, Goldobin, and Leivo who were acquired by trade and already spent significant time in the AHL. Hence, their time here was limited or non existent.

Guys that were developed in the AHL are Virtanen, Demko, and Markstrom. That’s not a lot, but considering we’ve been drafting high (and getting somewhat lucky) and re-building I don’t think it is terribly uncommon to developed skilled players in the NHL instead.

wetcoast

Nov 20, 2018
Trading Dahlen was an excellent idea. Further discussion is pointless really, he's not getting to the next level.

Maybe, maybe not but I don't think the Canucks are doing a very good job in Utica developing players which is the bigger problem.

PetterssonSimp

Dec 12, 2008
Maybe, maybe not but I don't think the Canucks are doing a very good job in Utica developing players which is the bigger problem.
Yet I don’t think the Canucks are doing a very good job selecting players in the first place to play for either club, which impacts the quality of each development system altogether. If the Canucks had better Pro and amateur scouting this wouldn’t be a problem, also the lack of quality “value round” draft picks like 2nd’s under Benning who has used less than half of the 2nds he’s rather owned or traded for as actual draft picks. Yet people here clamour together about Kole Lind, Jonah Gadjovich and Thatcher Demko.
The buck stops at Benning’s inability to put enough quality together to have even a wildcard contender in the NHL and a playoff AHL team. If the players weren’t such garbage already in the organization it would be a lot easier to develop some. Especially if there are LOTS of them, rather than a handful of castoffs and maybes.

Reactions: wetcoast
Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad

-->