Confirmed with Link: Jonathan Dahlen to San Jose for Linus Karlsson (87th overall 2018)

Status
Not open for further replies.

DomY

Aug 11, 2008
It's not about that. Cull's responsibility is not just to win games. It's to develop prospects into NHL players A prospect's development isn't just about the skills coach.

Utica has had two coaches: Green and Cull. Their ability to develop players is a legitimate question.

Right and this is what I am saying. You have two fundamentally different schools of thought and you can't have Cull jeopardize his own mandate (winning games) at the expense of padding Jonah Gadjovich's AHL stats.

Rightly or wrongly, Cull has decided that the rookies are not ready to play big minutes on his team. The Canucks then are responsible to ensure that their prospects become good pros.

Supplemental training or decisions like moving Palmu back to Europe should come from some sort of front office person, and not from the player's agents. It's a huge blind spot that we've all been alluding to, and something to look at fixing in the off season.

Guys like Gaudette who get sent down to get some ice time, and work on a couple things in a lower pressure environment, are the guys that Cull has utilized effectively. So either skill players need an alternative to the AHL to develop or something needs to be done. The Canucks haven't graduated a 25 goal scorer from the AHL since Mason Raymond.

timw33

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Nov 18, 2007
Victoria
It’s like ppl want to blame Utica so they don’t have to admit that our amateur scouting was indeed, not as amazing as ppl like to claimed.
And to be fair, Dahlen was given up by the Sens for Burrows so that was a red flag itself.
Palmu was a 6th round 5”6 overager, that is 3 red flags right there .

The common thread for Palmu/Dahlen/Lind/Gadjovich: they aren't strong enough skaters.

But agreed—amateur scouting is not a major strength of this organization still and we simply don't pick enough to overcome brutal prospect churn as players graduate from junior.

VanJack

Jul 11, 2014
Someone phoned the Sportsnet post-game show from Sweden, excoriating the trolls and idiots who filled up Dahlen's social media accounts with hate mail. Apparently he's turned off all his accounts. What is it about some 'so-called fans in Vancouver?

All I can do is repeat what the caller said: "Come on true Canuck fans, you're better than this!"

DonnyNucker

Mar 28, 2017
Someone phoned the Sportsnet post-game show from Sweden, excoriating the trolls and idiots who filled up Dahlen's social media accounts with hate mail. Apparently he's turned off all his accounts. What is it about some 'so-called fans in Vancouver?

All I can do is repeat what the caller said: "Come on true Canuck fans, you're better than this!"
Who cares. Every fan base has idiots. Ours is not different. Dahlen and his supporters should stop crying

VanJack

Jul 11, 2014
Dahlen claims he never asked to be traded.....Benning says he did. So who do you believe? It's too bad some of these trollers don't actually 'think about it' before they hit the 'send' button.

Grantham

Mar 28, 2017
Dahlen claims he never asked to be traded.....Benning says he did. So who do you believe? It's too bad some of these trollers don't actually 'think about it' before they hit the 'send' button.
While I’m ticked off at the trade, Jimbo for all his faults is a pretty stand up honest guy.

Perhaps Dahlen is technically correct in that he didn’t explicitly ask for a trade, but it may have been implied by his agent to JB.

Utica needs some TLC for sure, but we have to wait for a complete management turnover for that to take place.

Oh, and forgot to mention about the social media attacks on Dahlen: Internet bullying is just as evil and disgusting as face to face bullying. Don’t take part in it folks, and teach your kids if you have any to never resort to it when they’re upset about something or someone.

DonnyNucker

Mar 28, 2017
Well dahlens agent says he wanted a trade...so pretty clear cut

VanJack

Jul 11, 2014
Do you have a link to what Dahlen’s agent said? I want to read exactly what was said and reported
Dahlen's agent is J.P. Barry. All we have is Benning's word that his agent asked for a trade. And typical of the lazy and lackluster journalists covering this hockey club, to my knowledge nobody ever contacted Barry to confirm it. So we really only have Benning's 'word' being reported as 'gospel' by the local media.

But that never seems to stop the twitter and instagram hate-mongers filling up the Internet with ugly messages. It's too bad the trolls couldn't actually engage their brains before sending out their messages. But I guess you have to consider the sources.

DonnyNucker

Mar 28, 2017
Dahlen's agent is J.P. Barry. All we have is Benning's word that his agent asked for a trade. And typical of the lazy and lackluster journalists covering this hockey club, to my knowledge nobody ever contacted Barry to confirm it. So we really only have Benning's 'word' being reported as 'gospel' by the local media.

But that never seems to stop the twitter and instagram hate-mongers filling up the Internet with ugly messages. It's too bad the trolls couldn't actually engage their brains before sending out their messages. But I guess you have to consider the sources.
Didn’t his agent say he suggested a trade to benning on 650?

Bad Goalie

Jan 2, 2014
"Dahlén säger att han haft fantastiska lagkamrater, men att det är sättet som klubben försöker utveckla unga spelare på som haft motsatt effekt.
– Det känns som jag har blivit nedtrampad snarare än upplyft. I stället för att bli en bättre hockeyspelare har det gått i motsatt riktning. Jag har inte kunnat göra någonting offensivt utan att vara rädd för att bli bänkad om jag gör ett misstag."

Dahlén says he has had fantastic teammates, but it is the way that the club is trying to develop young players that has had an opposite effect.

-It feels like I have been trampled rather than lifted up. Instead of becoming a better hockey player it has been going in the opposite direction. I haven't been able to do anything offensive without being afraid of getting benched if I make a mistake.

Side note:
Article also brings up a lot of hate which he has received on social media from Canucks fans. He shut down some of his social media due to this.

Might make sense if he was ever benched. He was not. He made multiple errors, remained out on the perimeter, was terrible in his own end, never won a puck battle, was often outright invisible for shift after shift, and was never benched. Does that give any weight to his "fear of being benched for a mistake"?

Bad Goalie

Jan 2, 2014
Dahlen was not in and out of the lineup except when he got hurt. He was a fixture somewhere on the top 3 (and usually top 2) lines all season and was welded to the top PP unit.

Dahlen missed 5 games. 3 when he was hit hard and suffered a concussion like injury. Came back even less interested in getting into any kind of traffic and 2 games in February with an illness that went through the team.

Bad Goalie

Jan 2, 2014
This child needs a heavy dose of reality! He’s interviews come off as a sullen child who expected this to be easy transition and that he’d already be an NHL player.
He does nothing exceptionally well, is a perimeter princess on the ice. This crying to the media that Canucks/Comets organization is a big bunch of meanies is quite classless imho. Maybe if he just shut up and improved his game he wouldn’t have already been dealt twice!
I’ll continue to stand by my prediction this kid is back in Europe within 2 years.

All I can say is that after watching the game San Jose has played over the past decade, Dahlen will have to completely reinvent his game, improve his wheels, willingly charge into traffic, and be willing to take a hit. I wish for his success as a I have with every ex-Comet, but the majority who have left this team have gone on to less success than they enjoyed here.

Bad Goalie

Jan 2, 2014
Colton Saucerman was interviewed on Moj & Taylor's TSN show last month and was asked about Trent Cull, which I will paraphrase:

"...You always know where you stand. He is such a vocal and very intense guy. If you haven't played for a guy like this before, it can be intimidating but he is a winner..."

It appears Dahlen was intimidated for the second time in his life, by the same coach and still did not like it. The first time, he bailed back to Sweden.

"It appears Dahlen was intimidated for the second time in his life, by the same coach and still did not like it. The first time, he bailed back to Sweden."

The first year he never got a chance to be intimidated. He wasn't here long enough for that. He was due to show for practice shortly after arriving here and didn't show. When asked where Dahlen was, Cull had no idea. Dahlen had left for Sweden without even having informed his coaches or team mates he was going.

Bad Goalie

Jan 2, 2014
My biggest takeaway from Benning was when he said that the guy they got in the trade was on a developmental curve better suited for the organization. In other words they currently don’t have any roster space to bring up someone full time from Utica, so they traded someone that is knocking on the door for someone who is a few years away.

Goldobin-Pettersson-Boeser
Baertschi-Horvat-Leivo
Roussel-Gaudette-Virtanen
Pearson-Beagle-Eriksson
Spooner-Sutter-Motte
Out: Schaller, Granlund

They have no roster spots for prospects, the roster is full of garbage and Benning is literally fu**ed.​

That would imply there is no room for MacEwen either.

WTG

December 5th
Jan 11, 2015
West Coast
"It appears Dahlen was intimidated for the second time in his life, by the same coach and still did not like it. The first time, he bailed back to Sweden."

The first year he never got a chance to be intimidated. He wasn't here long enough for that. He was due to show for practice shortly after arriving here and didn't show. When asked where Dahlen was, Cull had no idea. Dahlen had left for Sweden without even having informed his coaches or team mates he was going.

I can relate to Dahlen, there were times I felt I wish I could do the same. Even if it is a mistake to do so. Sometimes culture shock is just too much and you become so overwhelmed by everything :(

TryamkinPleaseReturn

Rapidly Shrinking Cult
Feb 7, 2019
Markstrom Demko Biega Virtanen Baertschi Goldobin Gaudette Brisebois Sautner MacEwen Gaunce
Gaudette played a career total 14 games for Utica, I wouldn't say he did that much developing there.
Goldobin was basically developed by San Jose.
So far, Virtanen hasn't really developed amazingly, for a 6th overall pick.
The goalies have developed very well, we have a fantastic track record developing goalies.

Out of the forwards, MacEwen seems to be developing well. As for the rest...as others have said, it's pretty underwhelming.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad