Prospect Info: Jonathan Dahlen, Pt. II

Status
Not open for further replies.

M2Beezy

Objective and Neutral Hockey Commentator
May 25, 2014
Last one was WAY over 1000. Continue here. Heres some latest posts:

First few weeks that I watched Utica, didn't like what I saw at even strength. Has picked up noticeably at ES in the most recent few weeks. Hopefully it continues. But to my eyes his overall game doesn't look ready for a call-up. Let him keep improving in Utica and then see what he brings in exhibition in Sept.
Haven’t watched much of the Utica games but he seems to have improved after the slow start that he had. Adjusting to the ahl must be harder than I was expecting, as a lotta guys were struggling like lind palmu gajovich.
Hope to see him play a few games with Petey this season.
Not ready.

Needs to finish in Utica.. hopefully get some AHL playoff experience then spend the summer training his butt off.

Next year he should get the Gaudette treatment and get an NHL call up when players are injured and hopefully have him full time here by the time EP40s elc is over.
He’s been pretty close to a ppg for a chunk of the year now
?

He has 7 points in his last 7 games but was at 22 points in 43 games to that point.

I’m still seeing all the same problems - he’s slow and can’t separate himself to generate anything on the rush even at the AHL level and still plays a far too soft perimeter game. Has very soft hands that play well on the PP and in 4-on-4/3-on-3 situations but his soft/slow play mostly gets buried 5-on-5.

VanJack

Jul 11, 2014
From all reports, Dahlen has been a lot better lately. Seems to be slowly gaining more separation speed, which what his game lacked. Still plays a bit of a pedestrian game five-on-five, but when Cull hasn't exactly been playing him on a line with the AHL's version of Sydney Crosbyas his center.

AHL playoffs will be big for Dahlen. Hopefully that's when he shows real progress. Might still be paired with Pettersson someday.

MS

1%er
Mar 18, 2002
Vancouver, BC
From all reports, Dahlen has been a lot better lately. Seems to be slowly gaining more separation speed, which what his game lacked. Still plays a bit of a pedestrian game five-on-five, but when Cull hasn't exactly been playing him on a line with the AHL's version of Sydney Crosbyas his center.

AHL playoffs will be big for Dahlen. Hopefully that's when he shows real progress. Might still be paired with Pettersson someday.

I missed a few games (and he did put up some points in those games) but last weekend’s games looked exactly the same as all season.

ZEBROA

Dec 21, 2017
He has the same skating style as his father. It is not as bad as many think, but realy strange. He will be better next year. He could be a player who gets better overall in the playoffs but i am not sure.

sting101

Feb 8, 2012
Sounds like Dahlen needs to put on about 10lbs of explosive strength and power on his body.

I have little doubt that Dahlen with better players like Horvat and Pettersson has the scoring talents to be a decent complimentary piece but its been dissappointing that a player of his pedigree is a non impact player at the Ahl level.

Needs to have a really good 7-8 months of development

VanJack

Jul 11, 2014
The few times I've seen him, Dahlen reminds me a little of Shinkaruk. He has great edge work on his skates and decent lateral mobility. He just can't gain much separation through the neutral zone and at his size, isn't going to win too many one-on-one puck battles.

The Sens might have thought the same thing about his skating....which is the reason they traded him for an aging rental player in Burrows.

MS

1%er
Mar 18, 2002
Vancouver, BC
He has the same skating style as his father. It is not as bad as many think, but realy strange. He will be better next year. He could be a player who gets better overall in the playoffs but i am not sure.

He has excellent edgework and a couple times/game does the fancy skating tricks his father did ... usually on the perimeter to no effect.

Unfortunately he also generates no leg drive and is slow as hell.

Reactions: UticaHockey

ZEBROA

Dec 21, 2017
He has excellent edgework and a couple times/game does the fancy skating tricks his father did ... usually on the perimeter to no effect.

Unfortunately he also generates no leg drive and is slow as hell.
If he get a great summertraining and train together with EP he might get a boost in development. Lets not give up yet.

Yultron

Apr 18, 2017
Just read a report that the Canucks are shopping Dahlen ???? Common really I hope it’s not true as trading him would be just plain silly giving up on him on his first year playing in NA and literally turned 21 3 months ago

F A N

Aug 12, 2005
If the Canucks have determined that Dahlen is unlikely to develop into an NHL contributor and Dahlen has some value, they might as well try to move him now. Otherwise, they might as well keep him and see where he is at next season. Playing in the AHL can be quite an adjustment and I would hesitate to write off a player based on their first season in the AHL.

geebaan

7th round busted
Oct 27, 2012
If the Canucks have determined that Dahlen is unlikely to develop into an NHL contributor and Dahlen has some value, they might as well try to move him now. Otherwise, they might as well keep him and see where he is at next season. Playing in the AHL can be quite an adjustment and I would hesitate to write off a player based on their first season in the AHL.

OR, we trade him for another Granlund. People would love just f***ing love that....

VanJack

Jul 11, 2014
I hope I'm wrong, but the Canucks may be rapidly reaching the same conclusion with Dahlen that they did with Shinkaruk. If skating is indeed the issue, then it may be time to cut bait.

lawrence

May 19, 2012
false rumor started by Sekeres that we are "shopping" Dhalen. Like really? I doubt teams are really letting Benning they know they are interested in him, let alone, he does have established personal friendship with Pettersson and chemistry to some extent, so, no, I doubt he is being shopped.

False rumours.

VanJack

Jul 11, 2014
Apparently a smallish, skilled winger who is an average skater. And at his size isn't going to win any puck battles on the smaller ice. I suppose there's always a chance things might improve for him.

And really, what choice do the Canucks have but to be patient? Unless he was packaged up as part of a larger trade, there's really no market for him. They'd be basically unloading him at the bottom of the market.

It's basically the same problem the Oilers have with Puljujarvi. No point in just giving him away. Better to just leave him in the AHL.

Reactions: Luckylarry

Johnny Canucker

Jan 4, 2009
I’m the end, players like Dhalen and Goldobin were had for nothing. We shouldn’t really expect them to work out. It’s hard to fleece a GM (oilers aside). There’s a reason why both above mentioned players were had for 2 guys past their prime.

Reactions: UticaHockey

VanJack

Jul 11, 2014
I’m the end, players like Dhalen and Goldobin were had for nothing. We shouldn’t really expect them to work out. It’s hard to fleece a GM (oilers aside). There’s a reason why both above mentioned players were had for 2 guys past their prime.
Totally agree with this. What a lot of posters tend to forget is that both players were closely scrutinized at prospect development camps; prospect tournaments; NHL training camps; and in their respective leagues by the scouts that drafted them in the first place. So they're in a position to monitor their development in far more depth than the Canucks' pro scouts.

If they were deemed 'expendable' for veteran depth at the TDL, there had to be a reason.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad