Jonathan Blum

Team_Spirit

95% Elliotte
Jul 3, 2002
I don't think he's underrated, scouts are well aware of his soft hands and mobility. Surefire 1st rounder.

MS

1%er
Mar 18, 2002
Vancouver, BC
Overrated if you ask me.

That's about my take as well.

Really smart player, but underwhelming physical tools and limited upside. Mobile but not a dynamic skater, small and thinly built, weak point shot, little to no physical game. Probable upside is to be a Nathan Paetsch/Lukas Krajicek-type guy in pro - good intelligent #4-5 puckmoving defender who picks up 25-30 points/year and plays the 2nd PP unit ... useful supplemental player but not a core guy. Is that really the sort of player you want to spend a top-20 pick on?

I like him, would take him in my organization anyday, but the upside just isn't there to justify taking him higher than the 28-35 range IMO. Really nice pick in the 2nd round, but seeing him rated mid-first in a fair few places raises my eyebrows more than a little bit.

Rabid Ranger

2 is better than one
Feb 27, 2002
Murica
That's about my take as well.

Really smart player, but underwhelming physical tools and limited upside. Mobile but not a dynamic skater, small and thinly built, weak point shot, little to no physical game. Probable upside is to be a Nathan Paetsch/Lukas Krajicek-type guy in pro - good intelligent #4-5 puckmoving defender who picks up 25-30 points/year and plays the 2nd PP unit ... useful supplemental player but not a core guy. Is that really the sort of player you want to spend a top-20 pick on?

I like him, would take him in my organization anyday, but the upside just isn't there to justify taking him higher than the 28-35 range IMO. Really nice pick in the 2nd round, but seeing him rated mid-first in a fair few places raises my eyebrows more than a little bit.

I see where you're coming from, but if a team could get a defenseman who could play in the top 4/5 and pick up 30 points a year, they would gladly spend a top 15-20pick in a weak draft.

Speedshank

Apr 4, 2007
Edmonton
I'm more in favor of picking players who don't have the big pounds. If the player can compete and excel in the juniors with little size, than he has a better chance to compete in NHL when he fills out.

Too often I see big players who are able push their weight around in the juniors but become a bust because the can't continue to dominate against men who are just as big or better.

I'll take 6 foot 3 180 ibs over 6 foot 3 215 ibs anyday.

If Blum is able to fill out over the next few years than he's a keeper.

Petricki has been dominating the USHL against boys smaller than him. He's not going to be able to continue his style in the NHL.

MS

1%er
Mar 18, 2002
Vancouver, BC
I see where you're coming from, but if a team could get a defenseman who could play in the top 4/5 and pick up 30 points a year, they would gladly spend a top 15-20pick in a weak draft.

If you wanted a Krajicek/Paetsch on your roster, you could do it tomorrow for a fair bit less than a top-20 pick. Why would it be a good idea to invest a top-20 pick in a player who has a 50% chance of being that good 5 years from now?

A good scouting staff won't spend picks on players where the value of the pick is higher than the maximum upside of the player down the road. Same with another Giant, Spencer Machacek. Odds are very high he'll be an effective 20-25 point checking forward, and he'd be a nice player to add to an organization, but there's no way in hell he'll ever justify a #1 pick.

If you invest a high pick in a player with solid top-6/top-4 upside and the player tops out as a useful supplemental player, that's fine. But to not even give yourself a chance of picking up an impact player high in the draft is to me very poor scouting and pick management.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad