Jonathan Bernier

Scot79

Dec 8, 2006
Maine
Bernier is good. As of right now, he is not ready for the NHL. But after a long playoff run in the Q, and doing well this year. It could be a hard decision to send him back to Lewiston during training camp next year.

He is fundametally strong, great positioning, quick glove, great timing on poke checks, and remains calm in tight spots. Makes the easy saves and makes lots of tough saves too. Also exciting to watch late in close games (with lead and empty net) if given time and space will try his luck for a goal (Saturday against the Fog Devils got an assist for his efforts).

I have seen him 8 times this year, played well in all 8. Personally I would like to see him in the Q next year, and at least a half season in Manchester before he finds his way to LA. I live about half way between Lewiston and Manchester and would like to see him play more before making to the NHL.

Martyros

Allow me to retort
Aug 13, 2005
Holly Hood
It's been a long time since we've had a fairly *great* goalie...oh wiat.....we've never had one! Hrudey wasn't all that bad but still. for once we have drafted a goalie in the first round that isn't (so far) a bust! and we've still got Jeff Zatkoff too!

Tadite

Feb 27, 2002
Rhode Island
Visit site
It's been a long time since we've had a fairly *great* goalie...oh wiat.....we've never had one! Hrudey wasn't all that bad but still. for once we have drafted a goalie in the first round that isn't (so far) a bust! and we've still got Jeff Zatkoff too!

It's kinda of hard to be a bust within 1 year of being drafted. We still get to wait another 3 years or so to find out if either of those two kids turn out to be anything...

JawandaPuck

Lost Art of Dynasty
Apr 10, 2007
Vancouver BC
jawandapuck.blogspot.com
Jonathan Bernier is Goaltender of the Month (Oct 2009)

Bump...

Jonathan Bernier is the AHL Goaltender of the Month for Oct

http://theahl.com/monarchs-bernier-is-goaltender-of-the-month-p138600

Monarchs' Bernier is Goaltender of the Month

November 2, 2009

SPRINGFIELD, Mass. … The American Hockey League announced today that Jonathan Bernier of the Manchester Monarchs has been named the Reebok/AHL Goaltender of the Month for October. Bernier was 6-1-0 in seven appearances on the month, with a 1.29 goals-against average, a .963 save percentage and two shutouts.

Last edited:

JMFJ 3

Nov 14, 2007
Bernier has been pretty solid down in Manchester, his teammate Jeff Zatkoff has been even better though.

Taylor Hall 4

Jun 15, 2009
If Quick is a legit starter for next 5 years I am hoping Bernier can go to Chicago for something! Imagine Kane Toews Hossa, Seabrook Barker Keith Campbell and Bernier. That looks like a future dynasty to me

Scottkmlps

Aug 25, 2003
Ladysmith, BC
Visit site
Talk about resurrecting from the dead!

He never was dead. He had one mediocre half season. He's been this good since the 2nd half of last season. He would've stuck with the Kings this year, but Murray didn't want him to be getting such little playing time behind Quick. That's a job for Ersberg. Better for his development to be getting 50-60 games in the AHL.

Giroux tha Damaja

Apr 17, 2009
Mount Holly, NJ
And you don't think one of those players would be coming back in the deal for Bernier?

Not just for Bernier, no. If they Kings wanted one of those guys, at this point they would have to be giving up more than an AHL goalie.

He never was dead.

The thread was 3 years old and dormant before yesterday, I have to think that's what he was referring to.

BackToTheBrierePatch

Nope not today.
Feb 19, 2003
Concord, New Hampshire
Bernier has been pretty solid down in Manchester, his teammate Jeff Zatkoff has been even better though.

the goaltending in Manchester has been nothing short of spectacular to say the least

Jonathan Bernier 6-1-1 1.49 GAA and a .956 save percentage with 2 shutouts

Jeff Zatkoff is 3-1 with a 0.75 GAA and a .978 save percentage with 1 shutout.

Manchester has allowed 17 goals in 12 games.

Jericho

Oct 1, 2002
Visit site
If Quick is a legit starter for next 5 years I am hoping Bernier can go to Chicago for something! Imagine Kane Toews Hossa, Seabrook Barker Keith Campbell and Bernier. That looks like a future dynasty to me

Despite some of the praise he's been reeiving, Quick's season thus far gets a meh from me. Not terrible, not really good. At his young age, that's not really a bad thing. But he hasn't show he's a definite go to guy. The Kings look like a great up and coming team, however, so whomever has the job is in for a nice gig.

no name

Nov 28, 2002
Tornado Alley
Visit site
Despite some of the praise he's been reeiving, Quick's season thus far gets a meh from me. Not terrible, not really good. At his young age, that's not really a bad thing. But he hasn't show he's a definite go to guy. The Kings look like a great up and coming team, however, so whomever has the job is in for a nice gig.

I'm curious what he should be doing better?

robbyrobdu

Sep 25, 2008
I am not big on Quick myself, and it's not just because he wasn't high profile, most of it has to do with the fact that Ersberg was playing great last year, and he only got his shot due to injury.

I think fact number two is that the defense and general responsible 2-way play by the kings has also surprised.

No knock on Quick, I just Think Bernier can be a superstar and the team needs to go there ASAP as it's fast becoming a team with Dynasty Caliber talent.

Go Rangers!! :yo:

no name

Nov 28, 2002
Tornado Alley
Visit site
I am not big on Quick myself, and it's not just because he wasn't high profile, most of it has to do with the fact that Ersberg was playing great last year, and he only got his shot due to injury.

I think fact number two is that the defense and general responsible 2-way play by the kings has also surprised.

No knock on Quick, I just Think Bernier can be a superstar and the team needs to go there ASAP as it's fast becoming a team with Dynasty Caliber talent.

Go Rangers!! :yo:

Why would they "go there" when Quick has been a great goalie on a team that has won all year?

Giroux tha Damaja

Apr 17, 2009
Mount Holly, NJ
If he is just an AHL goalie...I guess LA will just have to keep his worthless butt.

Well, you're almost putting words in my mouth. I didn't say he was worthless, just that he is an AHL goalie (at least for the moment).

Why do want an AHL goalie backstopping your dynasty, then? :help:

What? Who's team is a dynasty? I'm a Flyers fan, so my team wasn't really brought up at all...

As for why they would want Bernier in Chicago....I don't know. Maybe they aren't confident in Niemi, or they figure anyone's got to be better than Huet at this point? Huet hasn't turned his game around yet has he?

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad

-->