Jonathan Bernier likely headed to Detroit

ShelbyZ

Apr 8, 2015
Would be my actions too, if there's really is interest in Howard.

You also have to factor in competing with Ottawa to get a goalie to the Isles. Given the Hoffman trade, Dorion would probably take an expired bag of Doritos and a dented can of Campbells Tomato in exchange for Anderson...

Lil Sebastian Cossa

Opinions are share are my own personal opinions.
Jul 6, 2012
You also have to factor in competing with Ottawa to get a goalie to the Isles. Given the Hoffman trade, Dorion would probably take an expired bag of Doritos and a dented can of Campbells Tomato in exchange for Anderson...

Did Andersen's wife wish death on Erik Karlsson's unborn baby too? Allegedly (mod note)

I mean, that's really the reason that Hoffman got traded for a pittance. He needed to get gone and San Jose knew he needed to get gone from Ottawa.

Last edited by a moderator:

MikeyDee

Dec 29, 2017
Metro Detroit
Did Andersen's wife wish death on Erik Karlsson's unborn baby too? Allegedly (mod note)

I mean, that's really the reason that Hoffman got traded for a pittance. He needed to get gone and San Jose knew he needed to get gone from Ottawa.

Rumor is that Anderson has asked to be traded.

The Zetterberg Era

Ball Hockey Sucks
Nov 8, 2011
Ft. Myers, FL
Rumor is that Anderson has asked to be traded.

He also liked posts during that disaster news day... My guess is that didn't sit real great with the organization either. But he would like to move on. Anderson is good every other year though so next year he should be good again wherever he is. :laugh::huh:

DatsDeking

Jun 25, 2013
I’m cool with Bernier. I don’t follow goalies as much though. What really caught my attention is Ward to Chicago. Could that mean Faulk is in play for Chicago as well? Hope not

Larkin1578

Jun 22, 2015
I'd prefer to have terrible goaltending as I think that's the best way to tank, but assuming that's not the goal, Bernier is a solid signing. His numbers are pretty good, he's relatively consistent (over long periods of time, game to game he's very inconsistent) and he could be a long-term answer if he ever lives up to the hype from back in the day. He's arguably a better goalie than Jimmy and we can now comfortably trade Howard at the deadline, 50% retained, to a contender looking for a playoff backup/injury insurance for a decent piece. All in all, not bad.
They already have a terrible goalie...Howard. He's more streaky than my underwear when I was a kid.

Run the Jewels

Make Detroit Great Again
Jun 22, 2006
In the Garage
This team is trash and has zero elite players. Maybe Zadina will be one in 5 years. Maybe Larkin kinda gets close to being elite for a couple years. Right now you wouldn't feel confident betting on any player becoming elite. I know people were totally opposed to tanking and that Holland spent past the cap every single year trying to be a playoff team. We had very good injury luck last year - well other than having Green get injured right before the trade deadline. And we were one of the absolute worst teams in the league.

The tank is a fait accompli. With this being the case let's not do what helped put us in this position, namely signing mediocre vets to multi year deals. You can get a backup goalie for a one year deal, so offering Bernier 3 years makes no sense at all. Keep your cap space and roster flexibility, position yourself to draft your first truly elite player since Pavel Datsyuk retired and then look to spend money in free agency next summer. There is absolutely no need to offer Bernier 3 years when you can get a similar quality goalie for a one year deal.

This is a big part of the reason I wanted Holland to go become a consultant with Seattle before being named their GM. I was hoping him getting lucky with having Zadina and Veleno fall to him was a sign they were planning properly but all these reports of signing Green, Bernier and Vanek to multi year deals indicate he'll never change. Worst case scenario is we finish in 20th place and completely screw ourselves on drafting an elite talent in the 2019 draft.

Reactions: Killerjas

Hen Kolland

Feb 22, 2018
This team is trash and has zero elite players. Maybe Zadina will be one in 5 years. Maybe Larkin kinda gets close to being elite for a couple years. Right now you wouldn't feel confident betting on any player becoming elite. I know people were totally opposed to tanking and that Holland spent past the cap every single year trying to be a playoff team. We had very good injury luck last year - well other than having Green get injured right before the trade deadline. And we were one of the absolute worst teams in the league.

The tank is a fait accompli. With this being the case let's not do what helped put us in this position, namely signing mediocre vets to multi year deals. You can get a backup goalie for a one year deal, so offering Bernier 3 years makes no sense at all. Keep your cap space and roster flexibility, position yourself to draft your first truly elite player since Pavel Datsyuk retired and then look to spend money in free agency next summer. There is absolutely no need to offer Bernier 3 years when you can get a similar quality goalie for a one year deal.

This is a big part of the reason I wanted Holland to go become a consultant with Seattle before being named their GM. I was hoping him getting lucky with having Zadina and Veleno fall to him was a sign they were planning properly but all these reports of signing Green, Bernier and Vanek to multi year deals indicate he'll never change. Worst case scenario is we finish in 20th place and completely screw ourselves on drafting an elite talent in the 2019 draft.

The team has nearly 25M in cap space, let's not get carried away pretending Bernier is single handedly swallowing up flexibility moving forward when Z and Kronwall and Helm and Ericsson all have contracts that will expire gradually.

If you want to voice your displeasure about signing Green or Vanek or Filpulla, I'll happily join you, but signing Bernier for 3 years is hardly the problem you are making it out to be. At the end of this year, we have not a single NHL caliber goalie in the entire organization...Bernier is the epitome of a stop gap. He is the duct tape patching the hole of a sinking ship...just get us to the end of the rebuild and we can dispose of him.

Snuggs

Jun 24, 2018
Yeah the the ones that want Coreau back... He's terrible. An Bernier looks like the apparent replacement for Howard whenever the teams gets an opportunity to move him. I like it assuming that is the plan(move on from Howard at some point in the season. ) Depending on money, Red Wings might be able to move Bernier in the future for lower picks/prospects. It doesn't hurt us long-term imo, and can help the Wings now if they actually take a step forward or wait to sell players for more assets if things look bleak around the dead-line.

I mean he's not exactly taking time away from a superior goalie prospect. Infact, Red Wings now have a little time to cultivate their own goalie prospect in three years now.

ricky0034

Jun 8, 2010
That's why we want him back.

was always a pipedream though,he's just too bad for Holland to be remotely on board with bringing him back

I mean Holland even straight up said during his interview after the season ended that he would go after a backup in free agency

personally i'm okay with it,as great as they can be for losing games offensively bad Goalies are the only area I agree with the whole "losing mentality" thing,having a Goalie like Coreau in net can shake a teams confidence like nothing else

Snuggs

Jun 24, 2018
HAHAHAHAHAHA Touche gentlemen. I don't want a losing culture to surround the Red Wings honestly. They should continue to try and win imo, but I wouldn't sign big names and hindered the cap in future years. Low-key moves, 1 and 2 year deals to help develop young players is the way I would rather go, I don't want to be the Coyotes/Sabres with terrible players an young kids who don't develop right cause night in and night out teams take there best runs at them.

So, essentially try and win with what we have, which we all know isn't that great... So hopefully we get another top 5 pick. I wanna be "tough" bad not just bad bad lol.

I don't want to do what the Islanders/Hurricanes did this season(though Canes got lucky in the lottery).

Reactions: MikeyDee

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad

-->