Jonathan Bernier likely headed to Detroit

lilidk

Mar 4, 2008
After Mrazek was traded this will be 4th goaltender we are getting:-*

shanman

Jun 23, 2018
like it. Still would have rather taken a guy like mason plus draft picks instead though. Be smart with whatever cap space we can have and try to get picks out of it.

HisNoodliness

The Karate Kid and ASP Kai
Jun 29, 2014
Toronto
I'd prefer to have terrible goaltending as I think that's the best way to tank, but assuming that's not the goal, Bernier is a solid signing. His numbers are pretty good, he's relatively consistent (over long periods of time, game to game he's very inconsistent) and he could be a long-term answer if he ever lives up to the hype from back in the day. He's arguably a better goalie than Jimmy and we can now comfortably trade Howard at the deadline, 50% retained, to a contender looking for a playoff backup/injury insurance for a decent piece. All in all, not bad.

ShelbyZ

Apr 8, 2015
I don't mind it if the contract makes sense. IE, 1/2 years at or a slightly lower AAV than he was getting from the Avs.

DInTheB

Jul 27, 2006
Bernier is competent enough that if the Isles made a sweetheart deal for Jimmy, I could see us taking it. Of course in my mind a sweetheart deal is getting a 2 for him and I doubt Ken jumps on that. Still, it would be nice to be forward thinking.

DInTheB

Jul 27, 2006
To the people who are complaining about term, consider that this could be management's way of saying Howard will play out this last year or be traded, and that will mark the end of his career in Detroit.

Yup.

The alternative was likely two more years of Howard after this, presumably at a higher AAV.

ShelbyZ

Apr 8, 2015
I wouldn't be so sure it has anything to do with Howard... Even in the same articles, Khan and HSJ seemed pretty adamant that the Wings were interested in signing one of Hutton/Khudobin/etc. AND likely extending Howard.

IMO, term on Bernier or whatever backup they sign gives them some needed stability at the position if, for whatever reason, Howard isn't around next summer.

The Zetterberg Era

Ball Hockey Sucks
Nov 8, 2011
Ft. Myers, FL
I wanted Lehner, but Bernier is a quality tender. He just goes hot and cold a little too often. Still solid choice his save percentage is .914 to Howard's .915 over their careers. I think Toronto has burned Bernier's reputation a little more than he deserves.

chances14

Jan 7, 2010
Michigan
3 years is now considered long term? The wings don't have a goalie prospect that would be ready to step in for at least that long so I don't see what difference it makes if it's 1 or 3 years

FunkyColdZadina

Jun 26, 2018
Solid stop-gap signing. Held down the fort well enough for the Avs when Varlamov went down this past year.

I feel like Lehner might have had a little more upside, but likely a higher price tag. But I do prefer Bernier than getting into a bidding over Hutton who seems to have more than a few suitors.

Reactions: MikeyDee

Lazlo Hollyfeld

The jersey ad still sucks
Mar 4, 2004
Bernier is an interesting and frustrating goalie. There was a time where some people wondered if he would steal the starting job from Quick. But given the opportunity as a starter he never really locked it down.

Best case scenario he steps up when Jimmy gets injured and becomes the Wings starter for the next couple seasons as they're rebuilding.

Reactions: MikeyDee

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad