Jonathan Bernier - .922 SV%

indigobuffalo

Portage and Main
Feb 10, 2011
Winnipeg MB
I was just reading the TSN.ca Off-Season Game Plan for the Leafs, and Cullen made an interesting observation:

The Maple Leafs made a bold move last summer, trading for Jonathan Bernier to be their goaltender, even though James Reimer and Ben Scrivens had both been very good in 2012-2013. Bernier responded well, taking on a starter's workload for the first time in his career, posting a .922 save percentage.

(Incidentally, that was the same as Scrivens and .002 below what Reimer's save percentage was in 2012-2013.)

Now, I personally felt like Bernier was standing on his head most nights, and kept us a competitive team given how poorly the rest of the squad played (at least it seemed that way).

And of course, Reimer had severe self-confidence issues, so his play in 2013-14 was way, way, way, way, WAY below par. (To the point where his wife was actually receiving death threats!)

[DISCLAIMER: READ THE ENTIRE FOLLOWING SENTENCE]

Obviously, fan opinion is probably in the 99 percentile on favouring Bernier over Reimer, but does anyone else think it might've been a mistake acquiring Bernier without first trading Reimer to avoid goaltender controversy?

I understand Nonis and Carlyle were hoping for a Halak/Price bring-out-the-best-in-each-goalie mutual competition, but we didn't get that. At all.

Just interested in what everyone else thinks...

ACC1224

Super Elite, Passing ALL Tests since 2002
Aug 19, 2002
Would have been too risky to trade Reimer before Bernier had proven himself.
I don't think there's any controversy, Bernier is the #1 no question.

diceman934

Help is on the way.
Jul 31, 2010
NHL player factory
My opinion always has been. Why would you trade for a high profile goalie if you did not believe that he would not be your number one. Reimer should have been moved right away and a vet backup signed. Not doing this cost the team a playoff spot this year.

Pholus

May 23, 2014
No, it wasn't a mistake imo. At that point, all Bernier had proven was that he was an above average back-up on a Stanley Cup contender. As far as the controversy goes, I think some it of had to do with the fact that Reimer lost the starting job before his play slipped to the level of a back-up.

I agree with you that Bernier stood on his head to get us some wins, but Reimer did the same thing last year (especially games 5 & 6 in the playoffs). For him to have that kind of season, only to management to go and say 'we don't have confidence in you as our #1' (said through the acquisition of Bernier), is where his self-confidence issues started imo, it just didn't really translate into his play until Carlyle decided he wasn't going to be the started anymore.

Duke Silver

Truce?
Jun 4, 2008
Toronto/St. John's
No, it wasn't a mistake imo. At that point, all Bernier had proven was that he was an above average back-up on a Stanley Cup contender. As far as the controversy goes, I think some it of had to do with the fact that Reimer lost the starting job before his play slipped to the level of a back-up.

This happened in December with some truly horrific games from Reimer. Up until that point, they had platooned in the net. Bernier stole the net when Reimer faltered in December (games against Phoenix, Detroit spring to mind).

indigobuffalo

Portage and Main
Feb 10, 2011
Winnipeg MB
I remember thinking at the time that Toronto is not a good market for a goaltender controversy.

Fans and media pick players apart when they're doing well, nevermind putting two guys under the microscope and then figuring out which one is worse than the other...

I also find that goalies are the most delicate when it comes to confidence issues, because there's a lot more pressure on them to perform.

I do feel that Reimer's emotional implosion was predictable, if not outright expected.

Toronto is a fishbowl market. Management ought to know this kind of stuff.

-DeMo-

Nov 12, 2006
Huntsville Ontario
it's never a bad thing to improve your team, never understand why anyone would argue otherwise, also Reimer's career to date has been up and down like a yo-yo. first year excellent, poor 2nd year, good third, poor 4th, this past season falls under the exact same pattern he's followed the first 3 1 good 1 poor. tho 911 sv% isn't poor imo it's average.

-DeMo-

Nov 12, 2006
Huntsville Ontario
I remember thinking at the time that Toronto is not a good market for a goaltender controversy.

Fans and media pick players apart when they're doing well, nevermind putting two guys under the microscope and then figuring out which one is worse than the other...

I also find that goalies are the most delicate when it comes to confidence issues, because there's a lot more pressure on them to perform.

I do feel that Reimer's emotional implosion was predictable, if not outright expected.

Toronto is a fishbowl market. Management ought to know this kind of stuff.

if a goalie is weak mentally and can't take a fight for the #1 job he's not a #1 goalie anyways, so the move needed to be made to bring in a #1.

Swervin81

Leaf fan | YYZ -> SEA
Nov 10, 2011
Seattle, WA
it's never a bad thing to improve your team, never understand why anyone would argue otherwise, also Reimer's career to date has been up and down like a yo-yo. first year excellent, poor 2nd year, good third, poor 4th, this past season falls under the exact same pattern he's followed the first 3 1 good 1 poor. tho 911 sv% isn't poor imo it's average.

Kinda like Luke Schenn. One good year (rookie), one bad year, one good year, one bad year (after signing new contract), one good year (now in Philly), one bad year.

Menzinger

Kessel4LadyByng
Apr 24, 2014
St. Paul, MN
I absolutely love Bernier as a player and believe he will be a top goalie in the league for years to come: however....

It seems pretty illogical to assume that Bernier is 100% proven, and that Reimer is a bust based on last season alone. Statistically, Bernier's play and save percentage will likely regress next season, especially if the team continues to give up 35+ shots per night - he's not a superman.

JackJ

Feb 7, 2012
Remove Reimer from the situation. Promote Macintyre or a vet backup. Put the extra cap space towards D depth.

indigobuffalo

Portage and Main
Feb 10, 2011
Winnipeg MB
I absolutely love Bernier as a player and believe he will be a top goalie in the league for years to come: however....

It seems pretty illogical to assume that Bernier is 100% proven, and that Reimer is a bust based on last season alone. Statistically, Bernier's play and save percentage will likely regress next season, especially if the team continues to give up 35+ shots per night - he's not a superman.

I wouldn't even call Reimer a bust. He's just had his confidence broken. He deserves a shot at #1 and I don't see it happening here, so the Leafs should deal him this off-season.

But they should've done this when they got Bernier.

rrc1967

Jan 9, 2014
Houston Texas

there it this - alot of goaltenders have flamed out and gone the way of obscurity. it's certainly not proven that bernier can handle the rigors of a #1 goaltender, and when the book gets out a little more on him this coming season, and the "sophmore" aspect kicks in, then we'll see.

Man Bear Pig

Aug 10, 2008
Earth
The Pens and Canes may be looking for different goalies, although there's a big difference in cap hits between Reimer and Ward/Fleury. I also wouldn't want Fleury, just throwing names out there.

DD03

3D
Mar 15, 2010
Reimer has more holes in his game then Ward or Fleury though. Those two teams would be looking for upgrades, not downgrades. I think Niemi could be an option for Pittsburgh.

Purity*

Jan 29, 2010
Could easily see Reimer being a starting goaltender on another team. The talent is definitely there, you could easily tell he was beyond frustrated with his situation this year and it ****ed his game up completely.

That being said, I'm perfectly happy with Bernier going forward. Let's work on putting a REAL defense in front of him without that joke of a system Carlyle employs that makes him have to stop 40+ shots night in and night out, and then let's see what he can really do. Bernier did WAY BETTER than I expected this season, it stands so far as Nonis' only good move.

rdawg1234

Jul 2, 2012
Bernier is a #1 goalie no doubt about it, was rushed a bit at the end as Reimer completely collapsed. He's MUCH better than Reimer when on his game, I dont know how anyone could say otherwise, he completely calms the team down and makes very smart decisions most of the time.

Would love Brodeur as our backup, would be a fantastic mentor and could step up for 20-30 games.

WestCoastLeafs

I beleaf
Jun 10, 2013

This happened in December with some truly horrific games from Reimer. Up until that point, they had platooned in the net. Bernier stole the net when Reimer faltered in December (games against Phoenix, Detroit spring to mind).

Pholus is correct. From the beginning of the season till November 25 (when Reimer gave up six goals), Bernier got the start after playing the previous game seven times, often playing several games in a stretch. Reimer played two games in a row only twice, and never three. Bernier usually played again after winning a game, and sometimes after losing. Reimer often sat after winning, and always after losing.

Over this stretch, Reimer's save percentage was .950

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad