Prospect Info: Jonas Johansson (2014, 61st) – '18-19: Cincinnati #31 (ECHL)

Woodhouse

Dec 20, 2007
New York, NY
thumb_460.jpg

Jan.​
|
Jun.​
|
Pos.​
|
2014 Prospect​
|
Team​
|
Ht.​
|
Wt.​
|
HF​
|
HFB​
|
THW​
|
YouTube​
|
Mediawatch​
50​
|
NR​
|
G​
| |
Brynas J20​
|
6'4"​
|
198​
|
HF
|
HFB
|
THW
|
YT1
|

Last edited:

LaxSabre

Apr 19, 2006
North Tonawanda, NY
Buffalo where Swedish goalies go and another Jonas - although by the time he gets here - if he gets here - Enroth will probably be gone.

Kris Baker @SabresProspects - Sabres take G Jonas Johansson at #61.
Saw him last summer at Lake Placid. Excellent size. Plays deep. Takes away bottom shelf.

Kris Baker @SabresProspects - Johansson is a solid "blocker" type of goalie.
Focuses on positioning. Forces you to pick corners. Inked two-year deal with Brynas.

Last edited:

Paxon

202* Stanley Cup Champions
Jul 13, 2003
Rochester, NY
Pretty strong tending prospect. I wanted them to take a flier late instead, on Elvis maybe, but then he went in the 3rd anyhow. :laugh: This was better value.

26CornerBlitz

Sponsor
Apr 14, 2012
South Jersey
McKeen's

Another tall goalie hailing from the Brynas system which produced Jakob Markstrom, selected 31st overall by Florida in `08 .. led the Brynas J20 Elit team to the semi-finals in the playoffs (5-2, 2.36, .892 Sv%), and was summoned to the senior team for nine games, appearing in his first four SHL games (2-2, 2.96, .914 Sv%) .. participated as a non-playing, third-stringer at the 2014 U20 World Championships, the second youngest player selected to the team .. helped his country to a fifthplace finish at the 2013 U18 Worlds, posting a 2-2 record (2.23, .931 Sv%) .. a poised and competitive butterfly goalie with excellent quickness and athleticism .. reads the play well, demonstrating a strong feel for the flow of a game .. covers plenty of net utilizing his large 6-foot-4 frame .. agile on his feet, moves around his crease swiftly - with movements being calm and controlled .. plays a more stay-at-home style - protecting the middle of the net - and playing in the paint for the most part .. tough to beat down low as he transitions to his butterfly fluently - sealing off the ice effectively with his long legs .. quick to react and get into his stance - without any extraneous movements once set .. must guard against dropping too early and exposing the upper portions of his net.

FC

SCOUTING REPORT: Big butterfly goalie who covers a lot of net naturally. He is very active despite staying in solid position in net. Very quick reactions and reflexes, and mixes good technical abilities with a good sense for the play. Can be prone to leaving too many rebounds, but usually handles and swallows up the majority of shots well. Has good athleticism and reads the developing play well. He never gives up on the play and battles to keep the puck out of his net. Gets himself into strong position, plays his angles and while he does not come out too far to challenge the shooter, he doesn’t have to due to his impressive size. Has a decent glove hand that he can really flash from time to time, and a blocker that he holds in good position and uses to deflect the puck to the corner well. Has played a couple games and looked strong in the men’s Swedish Hockey League.

Wisent42

Jan 9, 2012
Södertälje
Johansson is from "my" team Brynäs and therefor I may be able to provide some intel.

He was brought up from juniors to the men's team this year and started four games with 2.96 goals against and .914. From what I've seen, he looks like a goalie who has good positioning and looks calm. Not spectacular, but trustworthy, the kind of goalie I guess defenders prefer. He is called up permanently as a backup for the men's team this coming season, so I guess the staff really believe in him.

But here's the intriguing bit. Brynäs goalie coach is still Pecka Alcén, the man who developed Jacob Markström, Anders Lindbäck, Oscar Dansk and, to a lesser extent, Niklas Svedberg and Eddie Läck. He is really great at developing goalies, maybe the best in SHL, and while none of the mentioned goalies have reached superstar level yet, they're all pretty good goalie prospects, and a couple of them will be starters soon enough.

jBuds

pretty damn valuable
Apr 9, 2005
Richmond, VA
Johansson is from "my" team Brynäs and therefor I may be able to provide some intel.

He was brought up from juniors to the men's team this year and started four games with 2.96 goals against and .914. From what I've seen, he looks like a goalie who has good positioning and looks calm. Not spectacular, but trustworthy, the kind of goalie I guess defenders prefer. He is called up permanently as a backup for the men's team this coming season, so I guess the staff really believe in him.

But here's the intriguing bit. Brynäs goalie coach is still Pecka Alcén, the man who developed Jacob Markström, Anders Lindbäck, Oscar Dansk and, to a lesser extent, Niklas Svedberg and Eddie Läck. He is really great at developing goalies, maybe the best in SHL, and while none of the mentioned goalies have reached superstar level yet, they're all pretty good goalie prospects, and a couple of them will be starters soon enough.

Yeah this is a good thing for sure.

dunwoody_joe

Mar 16, 2002
atlanta
Visit site

Thanks for the update. Sounds like a good pick :handclap:

Woodhouse

Dec 20, 2007
New York, NY
Johansson is the kind of goalie who doesn't move very much in the net, but takes away shooting space with his angles. He can be effective taking away second chances. Scouts are split on his athletic skills, with some saying he's good in that area and others saying he doesn't wow them as much when he has to move a lot. His reads and reactions are solid to above average.
http://insider.espn.go.com/nhl/story/_/id/11149133/2014-nhl-draft-grades

Jim Bob

RIP RJ
Feb 27, 2002
Rochester, NY
http://ingoalmag.com/news/2014-nhl-entry-draft-goalies/

Swedish, 6-foot-4, 187 pounds, played for Brynas in Swedish U-20

The Sabres added another Swede to their puck-stopping stable, with Jhonas Enroth already in Buffalo vying to keep the top job ahead of Michal Neuvirth and Linus Ullmark already in the system. While it’s unclear who will be coaching the goalies in Buffalo this season – Arturs Irbe is the name other goalie coaches in the NHL keeps hearing for the job – Johansson will remain in the very capable hands of Brynas goalie Pekka Alcen, whose past students include Anders Lindback, top Columbus prospect Oskar Dansk, new Boston backup Niklas Svedberg, and the Vancouver Canucks trio of Eddie Lack, Jacob Markstrom and Joacim Eriksson.

Johansson spent most of last season on the under-20 team there, but also played four games in the top Swedish Hockey League, formerly known as the Swedish Elite League, and despite the GIF album showing several saves near the top of his crease has earned numerous media comparisons to Rangers star Henrik Lundqvist because he plays deeper in his crease. Whether that’s right or not, the Sabres certainly saw enough of another Lundqvist trait – athleticism – to take the second-ranked European goalie despite the lack of a pressing need.

“It wasn’t a shot in the dark because our scouts like him,†general manager Tim Murray told the Buffalo News. “I didn’t see him. He’s athletic. That’s the one question I asked after you see the size. Is he athletic? They assured me that he was and we’ve got lots of time to develop him.â€

Johansson.gif

jSBO3ed.gif

NKQo0nd.gif

bOF1k4m.gif

Wisent42

Jan 9, 2012
Södertälje
Left off the SWE U20 4 Nations tourney roster, after leading team in the summer

He's been out with some sort of illness for a long time, something like two months. He made his season debut last friday and surrendered five goals on a team that has now lost six straight games and are downright Sabres-bad. So he hasn't had a chance to fight for a spot.

Woodhouse

Dec 20, 2007
New York, NY
Johansson's early 2014-15 illness was tonsillitis per this Swedish interview from last week. He'll be loaned to Almtuna in the Allsvenskan for 2015-16 and they have two remaining preseason games scheduled for the first week of September.
The fall season was destroyed by tonsillitis and when he was back he injured himself and had to decline the JVM games in Toronto,
What is Buffalo, the club you are NHL drafted by, the expectations in Sweden this season?
- Buffalo just want me to play as many matches as possible. There I also hope that I can do. I was over at the camp ten days in summer. It was a blast and a little cool to see how the culture is there.
Now, therefore, Jonas Johansson belong Almtuna this winter, but even so, he will continue training during Brynäs goalkeeper coach Pekka Alcéns management.
- We have almost daily contact. We will probably work out together once a week throughout the winter. It worked out fine. It can get a bit mixed, me and Henke Törmä (Almtunas goalkeeper coach) rides up to Gävle, but also to Pekka comes down to Uppsala sometimes.
- Pekka is very special, you could say. The reason he gets up so very good goalkeepers, I think is that he for the first trains us very hard every day and makes us see it in a simple way, you could say.

Wisent42

Jan 9, 2012
Södertälje

LaxSabre

Apr 19, 2006
North Tonawanda, NY
‏@SabresProspects -

Jonas Johansson stops 22/25 shots as Almtuna IS opens regular season Allsvenskan action with a 3-2 loss to Asplöven HC.

Last edited:

LaxSabre

Apr 19, 2006
North Tonawanda, NY
Kris Baker ‏@SabresProspects -

Jonas Johansson picked up his first win of the year Tuesday, stopping 20/21 shots as Almtuna IS downed Leksands 2-1. 2.02 - .913. - through two games played.

Woodhouse

Dec 20, 2007
New York, NY
Here are two of Johansson's twenty saves from yesterday's win in the first gfy, while the shutout-spoiling turnover and GA are in the latter:

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad

-->