Jonas Gustavsson, thoughts?

Iowa Wingsfan

Jan 9, 2012
I think he has much more potential than he showed in Leafs. Now as back up for Howie, for now :naughty: this looks pretty good imo!

He can't be worse then Conklin. With so many back to back games Gustavsson will get some playing time. I would guess that Howard starts 30-35 games and Monster 13-18.

Stephen

Feb 28, 2002
Maybe he'll put it all together for the Wings, but in Toronto the guy had bouts of incredible athletic display and just a level of frustration a goalie shouldn't have, indicating that his mental toughness might have been tested too much. When he was rattled he just looked like an incredible athlete who had no idea how to play goal in a street hockey game.

Jun 9, 2011
Detroit
I'm really hoping he can put it together and be a solid back up. I think maybe the pressure in Toronto might have been too much. Maybe the Detroit atmosphere and organization can keep the guy mentally on his game and be a legit back up that can always be relied on.

joe89

Apr 30, 2009
I think he has the tools to be a good backup and maybe work his way up to a lower tier starter. Clearly it wasn't working for him in Toronto with Allaire, I think he was pretty much treading water for a couple of years.

The Zetterberg Era

Ball Hockey Sucks
Nov 8, 2011
Ft. Myers, FL
He is like the NHL version (ie a lot better) of McCollum... Yes I really mean that, he is overly athletic at times, allows goals that leave you scratching your head and usually doesn't get that big momentum save. Can he be good? Absolutely and he has a lot of tools to work with. We will see how he does in a different environment and he is a big upgrade from Conklin and if we can get him right a huge difference to how we approach the schedule. Would have liked a full blown training camp and season to work on it though.

Kylington

Slim Shady
Jan 17, 2013
I think he just needs a more stable enviroment and not a leaf defense :D then he might play really good again like he did in SEL. Atleast i like to think so.

Henkka

Jan 31, 2004
Tampere, Finland
Really tough position for him to start. Usually backups who don't get games under their belt totally suck when they are put between the pipes without any game shape.

I think he could do better with our atmosphere with that Swedish communnity than he did at Toronto, but this shortened season without practise games will be really really hard for every back-up in the league.

Goalies in game shape are value of gold. If we get a good start, then we could risk some points of using both and splitting games.

FireEverybody*

Gus is talented our team was not good and he went though lots of **** while here.
I think we traded the wrong goalie.

Allaire and Wilson were no help to the kid I can promise you that much.

Kylington

Slim Shady
Jan 17, 2013
Yep i think the other swedes will help Gus as well. Hopefully he'll get a few good games and can perhaps play 40ish next year!

johnny_rudeboy

Mar 20, 2006
Karlstad
I think he will shine in Detroit. He have the size, the skills and the determination to succeed. He was not helped by playing on an awful Leafs team who did not care much for playing D. People wonder why so many Leafs goalies fail to deliver, the same question people ask about the Flyers and it is pretty simple. Run and gun will expose your goalie time after time and eventually break his confidence. Detroit dont have that problem.

AvsRobin

Size doesn't matter!
Aug 10, 2010
Stockholm
Szymon Szemberg ‏@Sz1909_Szemberg
Prediction; Monster Gustavsson will become #RedWings starter, have a very good season if the goaltending gurus just leave him alone

Szymon Szemberg ‏@Sz1909_Szemberg
Domink Hasek would not have won 6 Vezinas, 2 MVPs had goaltending gurus told him how to save pucks.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad