Confirmed with Link: Jonas Gustavsson $700k

Status
Not open for further replies.

alg363636

Boo
Apr 25, 2014
Washington, DC
At a bare minimum he just needs to play one of all back to backs. But getting 20 games or so would be ideal.

I like that he has real NHL experience. He's been a competent back up when healthy. Let's hoe he stays healthy.

PatriceBergeronFan

Jul 15, 2011
USA
I like the idea of three goalies in the NHL -- otherwise, be sure not to piss off Subban and Gothberg. Keep them happy until we know what will become of them.

CrownofThornton

Jul 8, 2012
I dig this signing! I was always sketched out by the Monster's physical appearance in his player profile photo, but if those laser beam blasting eyes are cause of striking fear into the opposition's minds then I am entirely onboard.

sarge88

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jan 29, 2003
Could this have anything to do with the potential expansion draft?

bob27

Grzelcyk is a top pairing defenceman
Apr 2, 2015
Never had a good season in the NHL. Bad career SV%. He has experience though. I wouldn't be that much against this if it didn't complicate the depth chart so much. I guess the management thinks they can handle it, so I'll trust them on that one. I bet McIntyre will be pissed if he gets sent to AHL though. I'd also find it frustrating if they lost Smith for nothing.

Bruinator

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Aug 5, 2005
Toronto
Issues I have with this signing:

Smith has done virtually everything to prove he deserves a shot at the NHL level. Quite frankly if they were concerned about Svedberg last season why not Kick the tires on Smith last season? Then you think enough of him to re sign him to a one way deal this year and now suddenly he is not good enough? While I didn't see all of the pre season action, by all accounts, Smith made a better showing than Gustavson. Why bother having the competition? We all know Gustavson is just an average backup. That's all he's ever been and that's all he'll ever be. If his rebound control is truly as bad as what I witnessed this preseason it is going to be a long year for Bruin's dmen when he plays. We have no idea what Smith might be because he has never been given a chance. Kind of reminds me of another Bruins' goalie who was never given a chance for longest time.:naughty:

Gee Wally

Old, Grumpy Moderator
Sponsor
Feb 27, 2002
HF retirement home
from Kirk's blog:

Tryout no more: Bruins ink the Monster to 1-year deal

Here are the options:

The Bruins carry three goaltenders. With a maximum roster size of 23 players, this means they would either have to carry 12 forwards and 8 defensemen or 13 forward and 7 defensemen. Right now, Tyler Randell looks like he’s going to be odd-man-out if they go with eight defenders.
Assuming he clears waivers (consistent on three of four options), Smith goes to Providence and the Baby B’s try to split time between Smith, Malcolm Subban and Zane McIntyre. This is the least beneficial option for the development of Subban and McIntyre.
Smith and Subban play in Providence, the B’s option McIntyre to their ECHL affiliate, the Gwinnett Gladiators near Atlanta, Ga. On the plus side, McIntyre will likely get a good share of playing time, but it comes at a lower level. Some very good NHL goaltenders began their careers in the ECHL: Jonathan Quick, Devan Dubnyk, Braden Holtby, Jaroslav Halak and Scott Darling to name a few all saw some action in the “East Coast League†before they found NHL success.
Subban and McIntyre play for Providence and the B’s loan Smith to another AHL team that would welcome a vet of his ability and experience with open arms.

https://scoutingpost.wordpress.com/2015/10/05/tryout-no-more-bruins-ink-the-monster-to-1-year-deal/

World of Wardlow

Unscripted Violence
Jul 13, 2006
Montreal
I like this signing a lot. Varies away from last year's mess, and what Don Sweeney said about having an inexperienced backup (for the moment, anyways).
Gustavvson won't play much, but he at least has the experienced to be relied upon for the time being.

TP

Global Moderator
Dec 2, 2008
Like him over Smith. Hopefully, we aren't going to be too scared to see Tuukes sit.

Kate08

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Apr 30, 2010
I have no opinion. Someone convince me one way or the other.

Same.

Neither really blew my skirt up from what I saw this preseason. I think I'm scarred from how it went last season, so short of having a dynamo backing up Tuukka, I'm scared.

Ratty

Feb 2, 2003
Rive Gauche
Visit site
Never had a good season in the NHL. Bad career SV%. He has experience though. I wouldn't be that much against this if it didn't complicate the depth chart so much. I guess the management thinks they can handle it, so I'll trust them on that one. I bet McIntyre will be pissed if he gets sent to AHL though. I'd also find it frustrating if they lost Smith for nothing.
Zane has no reason to be pissed. No promises were made when he signed except an opportunity to compete for the backup position. Of the three he is the only one without extensive professional experience. He should be pleased to play in Providence and compete for an injury call up.

GarbageGoal

Courage
Dec 1, 2005
RI
You could argue that Zane would be better served in Atlanta playing regularly while Subban plays in Providence regularly, but man, I really don't get this move. Seems like just a little less cap space that will hinder us IF we get make upgrades near the trade deadline.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad