ashnathan

Apr 22, 2014
Australia
Last edited by a moderator:

LSCII

Cup driven
Mar 1, 2002
Central MA
All he has to do is backup Rask and play in a handful of games. I'm more than confident that the workload won't cause him to get injured, since he'll be playing very infrequently.

WhalerTurnedBruin55

Fading out, thanks for the times.
Oct 31, 2008
All in all, our season isn't going to be decided by the backup goalie, but not a terrible move. Our goalies fortune is likely to be more dependent on the team in front of him.

talkinaway

Mar 19, 2014
On the couch
I don't like the unknown, so I like the signing. I assume Smith has to pass through waivers, which I'm not thrilled about....but having a backup to the backup in waiting Providence is a luxury that we may or may not get. I'd love the opportunity to see how Gustavsson does, and if he's bad, we can just let him go to Providence/waivers (can't we?) and put Smith in.

Gustavsson actually looked pretty good in game 5 against Boston in 2014, even though the Red Wings lost the series in that game. Granted, I graded him on a curve: while it's really cool when a backup goalie gets the call in the playoffs and exceeds expectations by winning, you can't expect that to be the norm. And in camp, he didn't look half bad.

ODAAT

Oct 17, 2006
Victoria BC
I don't like the unknown, so I like the signing. I assume Smith has to pass through waivers, which I'm not thrilled about....but having a backup to the backup in waiting Providence is a luxury that we may or may not get. I'd love the opportunity to see how Gustavsson does, and if he's bad, we can just let him go to Providence/waivers (can't we?) and put Smith in.

Gustavsson actually looked pretty good in game 5 against Boston in 2014, even though the Red Wings lost the series in that game. Granted, I graded him on a curve: while it's really cool when a backup goalie gets the call in the playoffs and exceeds expectations by winning, you can't expect that to be the norm. And in camp, he didn't look half bad.

with you there, actually surprised more here aren`t seeing as how things rolled with Svedberg who gave me fits for the few games he played

Gusty isn`t great, nor is he gawd awful, has his moments, I think he`ll be fine, definitely used to seeing tons of rubber from his Leafs days and as suspect as this D could be, I still don`t think they`ll be anywhere as lost in their own zone as those Leaf teams were that he played on

AlpineLager

The way she *** goes
Jul 4, 2007
New Brunswick
I like this. Seemed more seasoned and reliable compared to Smith from the short viewing we had. He's got something to prove im sure. He will be good for us

ashnathan

Apr 22, 2014
Australia
Do people think Smith will clear waivers? I don't. Also, 3 AHL goalies althought Shawn Hutch seems to think Zane may go ECHL and Smith/Subban at Prov

Replicator

Replicated User
Jan 1, 2014
Do people think Smith will clear waivers? I don't. Also, 3 AHL goalies althought Shawn Hutch seems to think Zane may go ECHL and Smith/Subban at Prov

In the week before the season starts when most teams are already making difficult cuts to get down to legal roster size? I think an unheralded backup goalie will make it through.

talkinaway

Mar 19, 2014
On the couch

Yeah, actually, that's kind of interesting. Someone on my Twitter feed (forget who) mentioned another wrinkle: McIntyre gave up his senior year to go to Providence. If Smith goes to Providence, what happens? It's doubtful that he gave up his senior year to play in Atlanta in the ECHL - so you either really piss off McIntyre by breaking a verbal contract, or you actually hope that Smith gets claimed so that it's a moot point.

(Or maybe part of the verbal contract was stating that if a PTO gets signed as backup, and Smith makes it out of waivers, that McIntyre has to suck it up and go to the ECHL.)

ashnathan

Apr 22, 2014
Australia
Yeah, actually, that's kind of interesting. Someone on my Twitter feed (forget who) mentioned another wrinkle: McIntyre gave up his senior year to go to Providence. If Smith goes to Providence, what happens? It's doubtful that he gave up his senior year to play in Atlanta in the ECHL - so you either really piss off McIntyre by breaking a verbal contract, or you actually hope that Smith gets claimed so that it's a moot point.

(Or maybe part of the verbal contract was stating that if a PTO gets signed as backup, and Smith makes it out of waivers, that McIntyre has to suck it up and go to the ECHL.)

Mark Divver. And he seems pissed

Replicator

Replicated User
Jan 1, 2014
I like this. Seemed more seasoned and reliable compared to Smith from the short viewing we had. He's got something to prove im sure. He will be good for us

Agreed. I think Smith is more likely to get "stale" if he goes 3 weeks without playing at game speed. (See Svedberg, 2014...) Monster looked more stable. Under the circumstances, I'm willing to expose Smith to waivers, and possibly juggle 3 minor-league 'tenders.
I doubt that Gus vs Smith will make the difference between making the playoffs and missing them, but it might make a difference in seeding if they get there.

BruinDust

Aug 2, 2005
Smith will be gone before they mess with McIntyre.

I like this signing, too many unknowns with Smith.

Smith will either be traded, claimed on waivers, or loaned to another AHL team before we see McIntyre in the ECHL.

EON

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
May 31, 2013
Raleigh, NC
All he needs to do is give Boston 20 solid games in net to lighten the load on Tuukka a bit.

GordonHowe

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Sep 21, 2005
Watertown, Massachusetts
All he has to do is backup Rask and play in a handful of games. I'm more than confident that the workload won't cause him to get injured, since he'll be playing very infrequently.

Yes, but believe he was limited to just eight games last season due to injury. He has a history of injuries, and he also appears to be a rebound machine. On the other hand, Gus has plenty of NHL experience, he's huge, and he acquitted himself well in his second preseason outing.

And, if he gets injured, or plays poorly, theoretically Smith can be brought up to take his place.

Not sure about this last, and it also occurs that JS may have to clear waivers. Clearly, ZM & perhaps Subban are the G future, but it would be too bad to lose Smith for nothing.

GordonHowe

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Sep 21, 2005
Watertown, Massachusetts

Guessing they move Zane to the ECHL.

riverhawkey91

May 22, 2011
Lowell, MA
Anybody think they might just keep Smith and Gustavsson up with the big club and let them continue battling it out until they decide on one over the other? I think they could easily fit both in while Seidenberg is on IR, and it gives you a couple months to work it out and be more confident in whatever one you keep.

GordonHowe

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Sep 21, 2005
Watertown, Massachusetts
Anybody think they might just keep Smith and Gustavsson up with the big club and let them continue battling it out until they decide on one over the other? I think they could easily fit both in while Seidenberg is on IR, and it gives you a couple months to work it out and be more confident in whatever one you keep.

That would be interesting, though I doubt they do it. Conservative as they are, the coaching staff probably wouldn't want that element of unpredictability. Better to see what they have in JG, see how Smith responds while getting in games, and decide then.

talkinaway

Mar 19, 2014
On the couch
Twenty games is actually a significant number I hope he is up to the task .

The good news is we only have 11 back-to-backs. Assuming he plays 1 game from each back to back, that gives the freedom to choose 9 other games. For the bonus games, I'd have him play:

10/14 @ARI or 10/17 @COL
10/27 vARI
11/12 vCOL
11/19 vMIN
12/2 @EDM
1/23 vCBJ
2/4 @BUF or 2/6 vBUF
2/16 @CBJ
2/26 @CAR

In case you're wondering why that ends in February, we've got 3 B2Bs in March, and a pretty sparse schedule in April. The hardest game on that bonus schedule is probably Minnesota. Obviously, this isn't written in stone, but it's gives an idea of the 9 easier games we have to select for a backup to play 20 games.

Doing that would give Rask 62 games. He actually may be more comfortable playing a heavier load. I'm not sure how he is in back-to-backs, but I don't recall them being a specific problem.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad

-->