Prospect Info: Jonas Brodin (Part III)

Status
Not open for further replies.

keppel146

Jun 4, 2010
MinneSOta
just saw that play where brodin just stopped hall one-on-one in the 1st period, hall tried to dangle and brodin just stole the puck. what a beast

MuckOG

May 18, 2012
just saw that play where brodin just stopped hall one-on-one in the 1st period, hall tried to dangle and brodin just stole the puck. what a beast

Yes, I remember that one as well. Brodin just make it look so routine.

I still can't get over how freaking poised this kid is. :laugh:

Digitalbooya

By order of the Peaky Blinders
Sponsor
Jul 10, 2010
Wisconsin
A lot of it has to be the fact that he is getting attacked by opposing forechecks all the time, and the rest of the team not sticking up for their rookies.

Everyone on this team needs to gain a few pounds of muscle mass in the off season, and take a few lessons on throwing their weight around. Our lack of physicality is a complete joke. We would be perfect for a European league, but the NHL is much, much more physical. We NEED to check harder, especially on the forecheck.

One exception: Dany Heatley (as long as they bring him back)

Kari Takko

Jun 6, 2010
North Metro, MN
I know that's the case for the regular buyout... is that also the case for the "Amnesty" buyout as well?

Not that I want Heatley back at all anymore anyway...

He can't be brought back through a new contract, trade, or waiver acquisition. If we bought out Heater, he could not play for the Wild until 14-15

Blakkmantis

Old Time Hockey EH!
Jul 6, 2010
Duluth, Minnesota
After Brown took out Pommers with that atomic elbow, they started running at Brodin some next. He took some serious hard hits, but popped right back up, and didn't let it phase his game. I'm really impressed with this kid.

tomgilbertfan

#WhyBother
Jun 22, 2008
Minnesota
Brodin. So hot right now.

k815a.gif

Minnesota

L'Etoile du Nord
Sponsor
Aug 5, 2011
After Brown took out Pommers with that atomic elbow, they started running at Brodin some next. He took some serious hard hits, but popped right back up, and didn't let it phase his game. I'm really impressed with this kid.

You could tell Clutterbuck was pissed. He took a serious run at somebody that missed... Definitely would have drawn a retaliation penalty if he hadn't.

Blakkmantis

Old Time Hockey EH!
Jul 6, 2010
Duluth, Minnesota
You could tell Clutterbuck was pissed. He took a serious run at somebody that missed... Definitely would have drawn a retaliation penalty if he hadn't.

Yeah I noticed Clutter doing that. Would have rather liked to see Konopka drop the gloves, and pound somebody after Pommer was taken out. Oh well.

forthewild

Aug 17, 2009
If Brodin isn't a nominee then the people who are responsible for that are stupid. Yeah sure some rookies are having great stats... guess what put any number of wingers alongside Towes and Kane and they will do fine. But show me a rookie playing 29 minutes in a crucial game and not just 29 minutes, 29 minutes with very little PP time who shuts down the opposing best players.

People need to get over the hate, this kid is legit, he doesn't have the stats but his play has contributed to more goals then he has been given credit for.

ThatGuy22

Oct 11, 2011
If Brodin isn't a nominee then the people who are responsible for that are stupid. Yeah sure some rookies are having great stats... guess what put any number of wingers alongside Towes and Kane and they will do fine. But show me a rookie playing 29 minutes in a crucial game and not just 29 minutes, 29 minutes with very little PP time who shuts down the opposing best players.

People need to get over the hate, this kid is legit, he doesn't have the stats but his play has contributed to more goals then he has been given credit for.

Not to mention, in last nights 29 minute game Yeo started separating Brodin and Suter to boost the other pairings. Brodin spent time with four different partners.

Line+Combinations%252C+Fantasy+Hockey+Line+Combos+%257C+NHL+Starting+Goalies+%2526+NHL+Line+Combinations+%257C+LEFT+WING+LOCK.png

State of Hockey

Oct 9, 2006

You need to put it into context. Brodin plays primarily with a Norris candidate, and in a near must-win game is it that big of a deal that he's a better option (and hence play much more) than Jared Spurgeon, our #3 defensemen? That's not a high bar to get over. Our defensive unit has no depth, so Brodin is one the only options for Yeo when the game is one the line.

Frankly I don't think he's played as well lately as he did in the first half. He's made a fair amount of mistakes out there, which he wasn't doing before, and his offense is almost non-existent. Should he be a candidate? Yes, but he's not having a rookie season like other winners have had. However he still might win because this year's rookie class is very weak. No standout seasons.

Not to mention, in last nights 29 minute game Yeo started separating Brodin and Suter to boost the other pairings. Brodin spent time with four different partners.
Wild basically played with 5 defensmen last night. Falk barely played and was stapled to the bench for nearly the entire third period. And since Falk was playing the left side, you won't see Spurgeon or Gilbert fill in for Falk. So the top pairing had to be double-shifted on the left side with other partners. That explains the crazy-high ice time for the top-2.

this providence

Chips in Bed Theorem
Oct 19, 2008
St. Paul
If you put any credence into metrics (I'm not a huge fan), you'll find that it's actually Brodin boosting Suter's play. Apart, Brodin sees a jump in play where Suter tails off.

Dismissing Brodin's play based on his partner is of course based upon nothing that is identifiable.

Jarick

Doing Nothing
I like the concept of splitting up Brodin and Suter when the defense behind them is so week, but often it ends up as a mess. Brodin and Spurgeon seem to be a much less problematic pairing than Spurgeon and Suter where both guys tend to wander around.

forthewild

Aug 17, 2009
You need to put it into context. Brodin plays primarily with a Norris candidate, and in a near must-win game is it that big of a deal that he's a better option (and hence play much more) than Jared Spurgeon, our #3 defensemen? That's not a high bar to get over. Our defensive unit has no depth, so Brodin is one the only options for Yeo when the game is one the line.

Frankly I don't think he's played as well lately as he did in the first half. He's made a fair amount of mistakes out there, which he wasn't doing before, and his offense is almost non-existent. Should he be a candidate? Yes, but he's not having a rookie season like other winners have had. However he still might win because this year's rookie class is very weak. No standout seasons.

Wild basically played with 5 defensmen last night. Falk barely played and was stapled to the bench for nearly the entire third period. And since Falk was playing the left side, you won't see Spurgeon or Gilbert fill in for Falk. So the top pairing had to be double-shifted on the left side with other partners. That explains the crazy-high ice time for the top-2.

Ummm the context is Suter was bad before he got paired with Brodin. Brodin is not riding suters coat tails, if that was the case that Suter is elevating Brodin so much that should be true for any other dman you pair with him no?

Yes time after time anyone who plays with Suter still sucks and it causes a problem, Brodin is more then holding his own, he is complementing Suter very well.

Not to mention THE WHOLE YEAR Brodin has seen like 1.5 minutes more of ice time then any other rookie with his ice time having very little power play time. He doesn't play sheltered minutes, he contributes to this team. There is no context here, Brodin is playing good, he's playing what he earns and is not being given or babied in any way. I get it its hard for you to admit that Brodin was the right pick because you didn't like it but for ****s sake give credit where its due.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad