Prospect Info: Jonah "The Man Child" Gadjovich

Status
Not open for further replies.

sting101

Feb 8, 2012
Whatever degree he has or doesn't have doesn't excuse being part a huge blunder. Many if not most people don't end up working in the area of their degree after a few years in the workforce. It doesn't mean they aren't expected the know the ins and outs of the job they are working.
So does this mean that Benning built a Stanley cup champion in Boston? Anyway dont answer just ball bustin....i think Fan is right and dont want to clog the Gadjo thread with GM talk.

I loved his fight and think he can skate effectively enough. Will more come down to making smart decisions as the expectation will probably be 4th line with an outside 3rd line spot down the road if he peaks in a good way.

Gadjovich will be a fan favorite. Already one of mine

F A N

Aug 12, 2005
Whatever degree he has or doesn't have doesn't excuse being part a huge blunder. Many if not most people don't end up working in the area of their degree after a few years in the workforce. It doesn't mean they aren't expected the know the ins and outs of the job they are working.

Contractual terms get litigated for a reason. It would be stupid to blame Weisbrod if say Benning relied on Chris Gear's interpretation of the CBA. There are people who are better equipped to read and interpret the CBA and Weisbrod was not one of them compared to Feaster. I certainly expect Gillis to rely on Gilman's and his own interpretation of the CBA over Henning's. Furthermore, there was also O'Reilly's agent involved who happened to be Pat Morris, who also happens to have a law degree and part of the powerful Newport Sports agency.

Blue and Green

Out to lunch
Dec 17, 2017
I loved his fight and think he can skate effectively enough. Will more come down to making smart decisions as the expectation will probably be 4th line with an outside 3rd line spot down the road if he peaks in a good way.

Gadjovich will be a fan favorite. Already one of mine

Gadjovich can fight and he has NHL scoring touch near the net but the rest of his game... I just don't see it. Doesn't skate well enough, serious lack of playmaking, and I was never impressed with his defensive play. Lind always struck me as the better player and you saw how little he was able to accomplish during his stint.

Frankie Blueberries

Allergic to draft picks
Jan 27, 2016
Not a fan of Weisbrod, but I think this criticism is BS stupidity. The guy was working under a GM who actually possessed a law degree from one of the best law schools in the US. But blame the English major.

And are the people running the Columbus Blue Jackets in 2020 (which includes Bill Zito) morons? They tried to sign a guy who wasn't eligible to be signed.

The blame is spread between them. Wasn’t he AGM in Calgary? I would expect an AGM to have a solid understanding of the CBA to avoid situations like this. I think he should take some of the blame for sure.

tantalum

Hope for the best. Expect the worst
Sponsor
Apr 2, 2002
Missouri
Contractual terms get litigated for a reason. It would be stupid to blame Weisbrod if say Benning relied on Chris Gear's interpretation of the CBA. There are people who are better equipped to read and interpret the CBA and Weisbrod was not one of them compared to Feaster. I certainly expect Gillis to rely on Gilman's and his own interpretation of the CBA over Henning's. Furthermore, there was also O'Reilly's agent involved who happened to be Pat Morris, who also happens to have a law degree and part of the powerful Newport Sports agency.

I wasn’t placing all blame on him...the entire brain trust at the time gets to share it. He just doesn’t get absolved from the blame.

Anyways...limited ice fir Gadjovich but that time did seem to show the scouting report from those in Utica was seemingly accurate. Have to see what transpires the last couple of games but I suspect his skating issue will prevent him from making the jump.

JimmyJiveJones

Jan 28, 2019
If Lind and Gadjovich takes skating lessons from Kathy McLlwain they have a good chance to make the team imo. Throw Joulevi into the lessons aswell.

Here she is teaching Horvat

Its crazy how much a player can improve just by training with the right people. I remember Kesler had a pretty bad shot and worked on it and it became one of the most lethal shots in the game for a few seasons. (Possibly a bad example because i dont know if he worked on it with someone or not)

Reactions: HockeyWooot

Nov 1, 2011
Its crazy how much a player can improve just by training with the right people. I remember Kesler had a pretty bad shot and worked on it and it became one of the most lethal shots in the game for a few seasons. (Possibly a bad example because i dont know if he worked on it with someone or not)

I think Kesler worked with Ron Johnson out of Delta (along with Marleau and Pavelski).

Not 100% sure but it's what I've been told.

PuckMunchkin

Very Nice, Very Evil!
Dec 13, 2006
Lapland

Its also a matter of identifying what is holding back said players skating.

There are biomechanics involved that place a cap on how fast you are going to skate:

The amount of fast-twitch and slow-twitch muscle fiber you are prone to develop.
Your joint construction and your muscles insertion and origin in relation to the joints.

Bo is an extreme case of his skating issue being something that could be fixed with proper technique.

WetcoastOrca

Jun 3, 2011
Vancouver, BC
The notion that any player can significantly improve their skating with proper instruction like Horvat did seems flawed to me. Most of these guys have had lots of skating instruction already. Some just have physical limitations that no amount of teaching can change. I’m not saying Gadjovich can’t improve but he’s likely always going to be a sub par skater at this point.

Blue and Green

Out to lunch
Dec 17, 2017
Has his skating improved since he first joined the Comets?

Definitely his skating has gotten better with 2.5 years of added physiological maturity and the opportunity to work on it. But started from a very low level and still isn't where it needs to be. Lind was/is in the same boat in that regard, and his overall skating was/is a little better than Gadjovich's.

moog35

Jul 25, 2007
Definitely his skating has gotten better with 2.5 years of added physiological maturity and the opportunity to work on it. But started from a very low level and still isn't where it needs to be. Lind was/is in the same boat in that regard, and his overall skating was/is a little better than Gadjovich's.
At least his skating is on the right trajectory. Horvat’s improved a ton from when he was drafted. If Gadj is willing to put in the work than he has the rest of the tools to be an effective bottom 6 player

Blue and Green

Out to lunch
Dec 17, 2017
At least his skating is on the right trajectory. Horvat’s improved a ton from when he was drafted. If Gadj is willing to put in the work than he has the rest of the tools to be an effective bottom 6 player

I think it's an innate ability issue rather than a work issue. Horvat had a fairly quick improvement from technique. Gadjovich and Lind have been gradually getting better as expected from players who started their first full pro seasons in the same month that they turned 20 (Oct 2018). They both skate better now but they haven't particularly improved in a relative sense when accounting for physiological maturity. And there have been more holes in Gadjovich's overall game than in Lind's.

Reactions: WetcoastOrca

Nov 1, 2011
The notion that any player can significantly improve their skating with proper instruction like Horvat did seems flawed to me. Most of these guys have had lots of skating instruction already. Some just have physical limitations that no amount of teaching can change. I’m not saying Gadjovich can’t improve but he’s likely always going to be a sub par skater at this point.

What's kind of crazy is that Horvat, as a top prospect out of Ontario, was helped so much from skating instruction.

How did he not get that help sooner?

Reactions: WetcoastOrca

tantalum

Hope for the best. Expect the worst
Sponsor
Apr 2, 2002
Missouri
For every Horvat (hell even the Sedins improved skating) there a few dozen guys who simply don't improve that much. IN this case you are also talking about a 19/20 year old Horvat and Gadjovich who will 23 shortly after the next season begins. That age difference is meaningful.

F A N

Aug 12, 2005
What's kind of crazy is that Horvat, as a top prospect out of Ontario, was helped so much from skating instruction.

How did he not get that help sooner?

I think it's partly the work that Horvat put in. It's kind of like Kesler's shot. Everybody can take lessons. It's another to really work on the boring fundamentals.

moog35

Jul 25, 2007
I think it's an innate ability issue rather than a work issue. Horvat had a fairly quick improvement from technique. Gadjovich and Lind have been gradually getting better as expected from players who started their first full pro seasons in the same month that they turned 20 (Oct 2018). They both skate better now but they haven't particularly improved in a relative sense when accounting for physiological maturity. And there have been more holes in Gadjovich's overall game than in Lind's.
I still think a guy with Gadjovich’s skill set could easily be a solid 4th liner. He’s already made more of an impact than Loui at 6 million!

F A N

Aug 12, 2005
I still think a guy with Gadjovich’s skill set could easily be a solid 4th liner. He’s already made more of an impact than Loui at 6 million!

Hmm... I'm not so sure about that. He's not really an energy player and he's not a Ryan Reeves type. Lacking foot speed is going to affect his ability to forecheck. I see him as a player better suited to playing with players who can make plays with the puck which a typical 4th line likely won't be doing much of. It's kind of like why Gaunce is out of the NHL and Leivo couldn't break into the Leafs lineup when utilized on the 4th line.

Get North

Aug 25, 2013
B.C.

Forgot he played 1 game and ended it with 17 PIM. Remarkable start and earned the respect of his teammates going into training camp. I think Gadjovich has nothing to prove in Abbotsford and should be the 1st call-up if he doesn't find a role as a top 12 forward. He won World Junior Gold.

There's many other prospects worse than Gadjovich who receive tons of ice-time. Look at Jason Robertson exploding in Dallas, nobody expected that. I think we have a surprise, not to that extent, but Gadjovich has elite net front ability. If people remember Holmstrom/Kunitz/Bickell, then they know skill players can make use of big, physical players.

Bailey has better speed and hustle, but not the skill/hand-eye of Gadjovich. I think Highmore is a good 13th forward, but Gadjovich has top 9 utility not Highmore. And the Canucks are in tough if they are using Petan, Di Giuseppe higher than 4th line. If injuries hit, Gadjovich is the guy for top 9 minutes.

KingofSurrey

Jan 15, 2020
in da hood
Free the Whale....

91djQH2NTPL.jpg

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad