Prospect Info: Jonah "The Man Child" Gadjovich

Status
Not open for further replies.

sting101

Feb 8, 2012
I supported the pick when it was made because it's hard to get talented big bodies outside of the first round, and because of the history you mention where some big guys can improve their skating. Thought it was a worthwhile high-upside shot.

But Gadjovich isn't Benn or Stone. Both guys absolutely dominated in their last year of junior, and Benn walked straight into the NHL and scored 22 goals. Stone was a high-producing AHLer right off the rattle.

Gadjovich has completely stagnated since being drafted and his skating is just too bad to project as any sort of NHLer. And this isn't off one game - I've seen him play about 50 games now since we drafted him. Guy was completely lost in the AHL and blown away by the pace at that level. On merit, he should have been in the ECHL. Unfortunately there's just nothing there.
Fair enough but his exhibition was one game and unless you guys were at the training camp in Victoria and he was awful there should we not give him some leniency to find his wheels and timing.

At the end of the day he was fast enough to play for Canada in the U20s and he was hampered by injury to start last year. Your probably right and i wasnt a big fan of the pick either as i wanted Entwhistle or Gildon but i find it odd were blasting him and completely writing him off when he still could be a Brandon Prust like guy at some point.

Different players improve and peak at different times and JG has a tremendous work ethic. I wouldn't close the door just yet at 20 yrs old and as i said he could always do the Sopel diet. It is a thing

F A N

Aug 12, 2005
Which goes back to the incredulity that I always repeat here, how nonsensical it is to say a GM "did well" at the draft immediately after it has occurred, when no new information has surfaced since it happened.

Well I wouldn't say it's nonsensical. If a team picked a bunch of guys that you and say almost everyone else thought should have gone higher then it's sensical to say that a GM did well. But if all of those guys end up busting then that GM didn't do well in that draft at all. But like MS said, most fan bases do come away liking what the team did at the draft.

MS

1%er
Mar 18, 2002
Vancouver, BC
Fair enough but his exhibition was one game and unless you guys were at the training camp in Victoria and he was awful there should we not give him some leniency to find his wheels and timing.

At the end of the day he was fast enough to play for Canada in the U20s and he was hampered by injury to start last year. Your probably right and i wasnt a big fan of the pick either as i wanted Entwhistle or Gildon but i find it odd were blasting him and completely writing him off when he still could be a Brandon Prust like guy at some point.

Different players improve and peak at different times and JG has a tremendous work ethic. I wouldn't close the door just yet at 20 yrs old and as i said he could always do the Sopel diet. It is a thing

In the end, he wasn't fast enough to play for Canada at the U20s - he was completely dropped by the pace and basically parked as the spare forward for the back end of that tournament. For me, that was the first big red flag that this player was going to struggle badly moving up levels.

There's always a chance something weird happens. But right now it's overwhelmingly likely the guy is a write-off.

Jyrki21

2021-12-05
Sponsor
Well I wouldn't say it's nonsensical. If a team picked a bunch of guys that you and say almost everyone else thought should have gone higher then it's sensical to say that a GM did well. But if all of those guys end up busting then that GM didn't do well in that draft at all. But like MS said, most fan bases do come away liking what the team did at the draft.
Unless you think you had information that other GMs didn't have, and that is why they chose other players instead of the ones you liked, all it means is a difference in preference, and in most cases you can't conclude that they have erred until more information comes to light.* Obviously anyone can think Gadjovich or whomever "should have gone earlier" in the abstract, but then obviously each of the GMs who picked earlier preferred someone else (even if they liked that player too), and presumably would again, so you can't really determine that your GM "did well" right there and then until you have some new information.

But also it generally means that your own GM hasn't really done anything but taken those players who fell to their spot. Like, I don't know that it's really praiseworthy that the Kings took Kopitar in 2005, for example, when he was only available because others didn't, even though a Kings fan would probably have been really happy that the occasion arose. But it's not like their GM engineered it.

*Note: I do think there are times, however, where you can immediately conclude the opposite – that a mistake was likely made on the evidence. Like when a team goes noticeably off the board (which "board" arises for a reason) or teams use picks on historical no-hopers like Sawyer Hannay or whatever.

Reactions: timw33

F A N

Aug 12, 2005
Unless you think you had information that other GMs didn't have, and that is why they chose other players instead of the ones you liked, all it means is a difference in preference, and in most cases you can't conclude that they have erred until more information comes to light.* Obviously anyone can think Gadjovich or whomever "should have gone earlier" in the abstract, but then obviously each of the GMs who picked earlier preferred someone else (even if they liked that player too), and presumably would again, so you can't really determine that your GM "did well" right there and then until you have some new information.

But also it generally means that your own GM hasn't really done anything but taken those players who fell to their spot. Like, I don't know that it's really praiseworthy that the Kings took Kopitar in 2005, for example, when he was only available because others didn't, even though a Kings fan would probably have been really happy that the occasion arose. But it's not like their GM engineered it.

*Note: I do think there are times, however, where you can immediately conclude the opposite – that a mistake was likely made on the evidence. Like when a team goes noticeably off the board (which "board" arises for a reason) or teams use picks on historical no-hopers like Sawyer Hannay or whatever.

There's no need to conclude that other GMs have erred though. If a GM just drafts the high profile fallers then fan bases are likely to conclude that the team (and by extension the GM) did well. I don't think the norm is to grade how a team or GM did at the draft immediately afterwards based solely on whether they made moves. They are graded by their haul of prospects.

But I agree that it's not especially praiseworthy to draft the consensus BPA who is likely the big name faller. But it's one of those things. You draft the popular guy and if the pick busts the fan base doesn't get mad. How many people are mad at the Gaunce or Schroeder pick? You draft the guy who the majority of the fan base thinks is off the board and he busts and you're hammered for years. That's why I always say that if you're going to go off the board you better be right.

Billy Kvcmu

Dec 5, 2014
West Vancouver
Gadjovich has been like one of those video game characters that keeps adding weapons as it goes along this year.

First better skating, then physicality/big hits, then fisticuffs, then a big shot/goal scoring. Quite encouraging actually...
Agree
I think he actually has improved more than Lind, which isn’t a diss on Lind by all mean

Siludin

Dec 9, 2010
Lind and Gadjovich are playing like they should have last season.
Not sure what the one year adjustment period was all about but who cares at this point.
Onward and upward

Hansen

tyler motte simp
Oct 12, 2011
Nanaimo, B.C.
Since he was drafted I've always hoped he could become a Tomas Holmstrom type player for us

Very excited to see that he is catching up to the AHL. He doesn't have to be a great skater in the NHL as long as he can bully his way to the net and be a pest in that spot

VanJack

Jul 11, 2014
Have to agree....Gadjovich is showing nice progression with the Comets in his second year, if he can just stay healthy. But what's surprised me is that shot. He's overpowering some of these AHL goalies with his wrister and one-timers. Where did that come from?

Still keeping my fingers crossed for Lind and Gadjovich, both second-round draft picks so they weren't late round flyers. You have to hope for something from them going forward.

VanJack

Jul 11, 2014
Really? You cant understand the adjustment between junior and professional hockey?
In fairness to both Lind and Gadjovich, they were both bedeviled by untimely injuries last season. It's hard enough to make the jump from junior hockey to AHL, without factoring in all the injury rehabs. But their improvement might be just a function of being one year older and more physically mature this season. Good to see.

wetcoast

Nov 20, 2018
In fairness to both Lind and Gadjovich, they were both bedeviled by untimely injuries last season. It's hard enough to make the jump from junior hockey to AHL, without factoring in all the injury rehabs. But their improvement might be just a function of being one year older and more physically mature this season. Good to see.

It's good to see improvement but I don't ever really see the possibility of Gadovich or even Lind being NHL regulars for any length of time.

They might get a cup of coffee between the 2 but really there are already better forwards in the pipeline and more will be acquired in the 20 draft I think.

Dab

Apr 17, 2017
Other NHL teams seemingly have these rugged guys that can pop a goal or two and play serviceable hockey Hopefully this is our version. Holding out hopes he can play NHL games next year.

Lindgren

Jun 30, 2005
Did he pull a hamstring or something on that goal? That's often what the grabbing of the back of the leg means.

Hansen

tyler motte simp
Oct 12, 2011
Nanaimo, B.C.
Very relieved for Lind and Gadjovich after last year. Goes to show how crucial having strong support for your farm team is

JanBulisPiggyBack

Dec 31, 2011
How hard edged it s Jonahs game? Does he battle hard in front of the net? Are we seeing a semi-power forward aspect to his game or is he just a big guy

Megaterio Llamas

el rey del mambo
Oct 29, 2011
North Shore
Big Jonah potted his twelfth goal in just 35 games last night. Had a good all around game getting in on the forecheck and dishing out some punishing hits.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad