Jonah and JFJ

ITM

Out on the front line, don't worry I'll be fine...
Jan 26, 2012
Noticed him on Boston's stage a few times today...And I was just on the Bruins' board reflecting on the loss of Hamilton and the odd movement in Boston today.

Obviously the Boston faithful are gutted. They just moved a franchise cornerstone for no apparent good reason that couldn't have been mitigated in other moves and more's the point, should have been cut off at the pass well before.

In the film Master and Commander: The Far Side of The World, a young officer is believed to be (for expediency sake) "bad luck" and detrimental to the course of the ship and the success of it's crew.

I can't help but draw the comparison that he's been present at two fundamentally profound deals that traded seemingly blue chip assets away...And then there's the picks themselves..and not a Barzal,Konceny, Merkley, Connor among them...

Spooky.

Cor

I am a bot
Jun 24, 2012
AEF
I found it quite humorous that Boston had three straight first round picks, and it's JFJ leading the charge :laugh:

I really wish they made him GM instead of Sweeney, would have been great to watch

ITM

Jan 26, 2012
I found it quite humorous that Boston had three straight first round picks, and it's JFJ leading the charge :laugh:

I really wish they made him GM instead of Sweeney, would have been great to watch

It was and then, lol...It wasn't. Was actually kind of spooked when I saw him.

Noticing the Rask/Hall rumour thread, one's forced to revisit the possibility of the unthinkable happening again...JFJ sending Rask from Boston to Chiarelli in Edmonton...

Do we have intel on Jeff Gorton's whereabouts?

tooncesmeow

May 3, 2013
Melbourne, FL
Noticed him on Boston's stage a few times today...And I was just on the Bruins' board reflecting on the loss of Hamilton and the odd movement in Boston today.

Obviously the Boston faithful are gutted. They just moved a franchise cornerstone for no apparent good reason that couldn't have been mitigated in other moves and more's the point, should have been cut off at the pass well before.

In the film Master and Commander: The Far Side of The World, a young officer is believed to be (for expediency sake) "bad luck" and detrimental to the course of the ship and the success of it's crew.

I can't help but draw the comparison that he's been present at two fundamentally profound deals that traded seemingly blue chip assets away...And then there's the picks themselves..and not a Barzal,Konceny, Merkley, Connor among them...

Spooky.

JFJ was also in SJS department from '08 to '14 when they drafted some of their top quality talent and in the peak of their contendership.

None of these guys have played an NHL game and JFJ has been berated enough and his story told enough.

ITM

Jan 26, 2012
JFJ was also in SJS department from '08 to '14 when they drafted some of their top quality talent and in the peak of their contendership.

None of these guys have played an NHL game and JFJ has been berated enough and his story told enough.

Given what THIS franchise has been put through, pardon me if I attempt to make sense of seemingly coincidental elements that share similar ends through a common mechanic.

Berated you say? Is that what I'm doing? Berating?

:shakehead

Joey24

Mar 9, 2002
New Zealand
Hard to knock what the Bruins did today... It was a bit strange but the Hamilton move I could see big problems with contract talks, Milian was another tough loss but again he is getting paid big bux and is another one who will probably get a raise in another year.

I find it strange second guessing the players they took at this stage. There would have been tons of scouting done, and if they felt that's who the best fit for them was then cool. At least we can save the ridicule for a few years when we can look back and say wtf were they thinking.

Or it could go the other way and people could be saying wow, what a brilliant move/moves. There was a reason for what they did and that reason was the poor cap management Peter Chiarelli had and the questionable moves he made with his gifted 2nd overall pick. People can call Chiarelli a great GM, but seriously he left Sweeny in a **** situation in Boston, and todays moves are probably directly a result of his bad management of the cap in Boston.

Bullseye

Jun 14, 2012
Niagara
Hard to knock what the Bruins did today... It was a bit strange but the Hamilton move I could see big problems with contract talks, Milian was another tough loss but again he is getting paid big bux and is another one who will probably get a raise in another year.

I find it strange second guessing the players they took at this stage. There would have been tons of scouting done, and if they felt that's who the best fit for them was then cool. At least we can save the ridicule for a few years when we can look back and say wtf were they thinking.

Or it could go the other way and people could be saying wow, what a brilliant move/moves. There was a reason for what they did and that reason was the poor cap management Peter Chiarelli had and the questionable moves he made with his gifted 2nd overall pick. People can call Chiarelli a great GM, but seriously he left Sweeny in a **** situation in Boston, and todays moves are probably directly a result of his bad management of the cap in Boston.

You are missing a huge point here.

Yes, I think all the players they took are good players - none of them are projects but...

they could've traded down gained at least 3 more picks and taken exactly the same players!

Rants Mulliniks

Jun 22, 2008
Their tears taste delicious. Another nail in the coffin of the "Boston is so smart and sets high standards which is why trading Phil was so brilliant" argument. Loving it.

tCp90.gif

Tak7

Nov 1, 2009
GTA or the UK
The guy is long gone, and nothing more than a spec on the history of this team.

Why do we keep dumping on him?

Oh because we are dumping on the Bruins as well?

Nvm - carry on :)

deletethis

Mar 17, 2015
Toronto
JFJ was a terrible GM but I don't get the joy in mocking the guy. However there's some delight in seeing the big bad Bruins making a bad move (Hamilton to Calgary for modest draft picks) then picking late 1st/early 2nd round players in the middle of the 1st round. The Lucic trade wasn't questionable at all. He's the type of player you move before his stock drops. That defense prospect Boston got in that deal (Colin Miller) sure put up some big numbers in the A.

Tak7

Nov 1, 2009
GTA or the UK
JFJ was a terrible GM but I don't get the joy in mocking the guy. However there's some delight in seeing the big bad Bruins making a bad move (Hamilton to Calgary for modest draft picks) then picking late 1st/early 2nd round players in the middle of the 1st round. The Lucic trade wasn't questionable at all. He's the type of player you move before his stock drops. That defense prospect Boston got in that deal (Colin Miller) sure put up some big numbers in the A.

Leafs Nation loves their scapegoats, and rarely ever gets over them.

That's why JFJ still gets it.

It's also why Kerry Fraser & others still get it too.

-DeMo-

Nov 12, 2006
Huntsville Ontario
JFJ is seen as an excellent scout in the hockey circles, but not a great GM, so I don't doubt those are probably solid picks. I think the Lucic trade was a very good one for Boston to make, but I think the Calgary move was a bit baffling, if there going into rebuild mode move Chara. I see no reason to move your top young Dmen, this is now the third time they've flipped there top 10 pick after there ELC's(Kessel, Seguin, Hamilton). heck Thornton aswell.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad