Jon Rosen: New LA Kings Insider

TonySCV

Golden
Mar 2, 2004
Los Angeles, CA
ROFL.................................

Btw... Ran into Hammond at a Galaxy Game(regular season before he announced he was leaving).... after a 10 min convo apparently he spent too much money while being on the road with the team to make it a career. And I am not saying STRIP Clubs... and stupid stuff.... just quality of life needed $$$$ and what not.

Seems odd that Kings staff wouldn't have a per diem for food. That would be bizarre. Most companies pay the daily food and lodging expenses of their employees who have to travel for work.

I spend less money per month for expenses when I'm traveling for work because work provides a per diem for daily expenses I wouldnt otherwise have if I'm home.

Telos

In Gavrikov We Must Trust
Aug 16, 2008
Reno, NV
I don't know what you guys expect :P What do you want him to do? Kick down their door, wake them up in the middle of the night, waterboard them, scream "why aren't you scoring?!"...

I don't know what answers you believe they are suppressing, but Hammond was our best resource for Kings information and official confirmations. Yeah, he threw a lot of fluff up there like Q&A, which was sort of drab, since he didn't really care about hockey or the Kings, and his answers were just his drifting opinion, but he was trying to add content to the site. What information was his withholding that made him such a 'pawn of the organization'?

You aren't going to get answers from anyone in professional sports. All athletes have their sound bites memorized by heart and can regurgitate them at a moment's notice. As a professional journalist, who is hired to relay information, not give Pulitzer caliber research opinion pieces, he has to relay that information, and can't make things up or put his own tangent or agenda on it. That would be adding fan bias to the reporting. I.e. Not neutral nor independent.

The aim of any detective, is to give a re-stated account of the honest objective truth of what he's witnessed. How did Hammond break that covenant, or is Jon Rosen destined to not live by it? I've always been genuinely curious about this. Why Hammond was ostracized as being a shill of the franchise, when all he did was report on every detail about the team and occassionally gave his opinion, during Q&A's, which he admitted wasn't his field.

Now we have a guy that grew up skating in the Iceoplex. He plays on two SoCal recreational hockey teams. Has witnessed the Kings since the 80's, and genuinely loves hockey, as well as having had done play-by-play broadcasting of the sport, and has been writing on California hockey for some time now, but he will be another Hammond... And be a shill of the franchise...

What does that even mean? What are your expectations for a team blogger?

Telos

In Gavrikov We Must Trust
Aug 16, 2008
Reno, NV
Great journalist.

The point was that he shouldn't have been on tv.

I don't really see the argument there either. So he wasn't the popular kid in school, oh well. Not every Kings fan goes to LA Kings Insider for their information, so he is relaying the information and news he put up on his site to the television viewer as well as gives them a referral to go use the site and increase traffic. Oh man, what a mistake... :huh:

He isn't on there for people on HFBoards, refreshing his site every 10 seconds, and get hourly Kings updates and information.

theMajor

Feb 9, 2012
Socal
Great journalist.

The point was that he shouldn't have been on tv.

what more did you want from him? if Rich was reporting on something, i knew i was getting concise information that was 100% reliable. thats more than i can say about most other sports reporters nowadays. so what if he wasnt a hockey fan?

Reclamation Project

Cut It All Right In Two
Jul 6, 2011
What do you want him to do? Kick down their door, wake them up in the middle of the night, waterboard them, scream "why aren't you scoring?!"...

This is exactly what I want him to do! Desperate times call for desperate measures. :laugh:

Choralone

Oct 16, 2010
Burbank, CA
I never understood why some people were bothered that Hammond wasn't a fan of the team. That's a plus in my book. A reporter who is a fan will find it hard not to have an agenda (though being a part of the organization itself may dampen it) because he / she will start thinking proprietorially.

As far as being a "shill" of the team, I didn't see it. He wasn't the first to break trade news, or speculate on trade rumors, but I was fine with that. He didn't answer a lot of questions that he said he wouldn't answer, i.e. personal stuff about the players. A lot of the questions people asked were dumb, frankly, and I wouldn't have answered them either, if I were him.

FrozenRoyalty

Feb 5, 2008
frozenroyalty.net
I don't know what you guys expect :P What do you want him to do? Kick down their door, wake them up in the middle of the night, waterboard them, scream "why aren't you scoring?!"...

I don't know what answers you believe they are suppressing, but Hammond was our best resource for Kings information and official confirmations. Yeah, he threw a lot of fluff up there like Q&A, which was sort of drab, since he didn't really care about hockey or the Kings, and his answers were just his drifting opinion, but he was trying to add content to the site. What information was his withholding that made him such a 'pawn of the organization'?

You aren't going to get answers from anyone in professional sports. All athletes have their sound bites memorized by heart and can regurgitate them at a moment's notice. As a professional journalist, who is hired to relay information, not give Pulitzer caliber research opinion pieces, he has to relay that information, and can't make things up or put his own tangent or agenda on it. That would be adding fan bias to the reporting. I.e. Not neutral nor independent.

The aim of any detective, is to give a re-stated account of the honest objective truth of what he's witnessed. How did Hammond break that covenant, or is Jon Rosen destined to not live by it? I've always been genuinely curious about this. Why Hammond was ostracized as being a shill of the franchise, when all he did was report on every detail about the team and occassionally gave his opinion, during Q&A's, which he admitted wasn't his field.

Now we have a guy that grew up skating in the Iceoplex. He plays on two SoCal recreational hockey teams. Has witnessed the Kings since the 80's, and genuinely loves hockey, as well as having had done play-by-play broadcasting of the sport, and has been writing on California hockey for some time now, but he will be another Hammond... And be a shill of the franchise...

What does that even mean? What are your expectations for a team blogger?

I won't go into detail regarding what I know about this, out of respect for Rich and those involved with his work when he was with the Kings. But I do know, with 100% certainty, that those accusing him of being a shill for the Kings have no basis in fact to support that claim. None whatsoever.

Also, Rich is a very big hockey fan. It's his favorite sport to cover. His mostly subdued style apparently fooled a lot of people.

Axl Rhoadz

Binky distributor
Apr 5, 2011
Hammond was the best source of reliable Kings news available anywhere, bar none.

The new guy has big shoes to fill.

True, but what he wasn't was the second coming of Christ...which is what a lot of deprived Kings fans made him out to be. His job was to write about the Kings, that was his job...and he did it just fine.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad