Confirmed with Link: Jon Merrill Agrees to $1.375 million, 2 year extension

BattleBorn

50% to winning as many division titles as Toronto
Feb 6, 2015
Bellevue, WA
Pretty good move. They could probably get a guy like him on the market if they wanted, but he's already here and in the system. Plus, I've heard he's a pretty good guy.

Reactions: Nevada Jones

ChanceVegas

Barney on a bender
Jan 3, 2018
Las Vegas, NV
Now the only UFA's are Neal, Perron, Sbisa, Stoner and Garrison. I would think we should see Neal and Perron next.

I assume they will want to keep Sbisa, though he has spent a lot of time on IR. How many Dmen do teams usually keep? 10 (counting Garrison) seems like a lot.

LadyStanley

Sep 22, 2004
Sin City
Organizations need about a dozen D. 7 for the NHL (and 5+ for the A).

Realistically, teams will use 7-10 D in the NHL. So three or so are needed for injury call ups; and hopefully most of those guys are waiver exempt.

(Now, you probably do want 1-2 guys who have the needed experience to share with the defensive A kids, and they'll probably have to clear waivers, if they won't just sign an AHL deal.)

Reactions: ChanceVegas

derriko

Mar 7, 2009
Las Vegas
Surprised by this. Thought Merrill would try and find a team with a chance to be a bottom pair guy instead of a 7. Seems like he’s healthy scratched and / or injured almost every game this year.

VanIslander

A 19-year ATDer on HfBoards
Sep 4, 2004
South Korea
I don't like this signing unless he's sent down or if it's helpful in GM negotiations for re-signing guys.

It is no a no-risk signing if the plan is to put him on waivers for the purposes of sending him down.

As well, given how cheap it is: It supports the low-ball negotiating of the GM as well as "we wanna keep our boys" rationale for getting others to re-sign at lower than marlet value (as per the other signings during this season).

Chiripa20

May 29, 2017
Henderson, Nevada
He’s still young and has looked good to me in the several games I’ve seen him play. Solid, dependable, two way defenseman. Strong skating and consistent in his play. I see a good amount of upside with almost zero downside.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad