Confirmed with Link: Jon Gillies Signs 2 year 1.5 million dollar contract (750k AAV)

crackdown44

Cold milk cools down hot food
Dec 1, 2017
Interesting stuff, though the inability to reconcile talent with the Flames' approach to prospects is not necessarily a credit to the organization considering a guy like Lazar or Hanifin would not have played a dozen games for us yet had we drafted them, given our overly conservative handling of prospects, ultimately resulting in very poor trade value and unhappy prospects. If Fox is "arrogant", it's because he's protecting his best interests and sees guys like Andersson, Klimchuk, Poirier, Shinkaruk, Mangiapane, Kylington, Foo, waste away in the minors. There's always two sides to every story and I doubt this Fox situation was a case of "Fox hates Calgary".

Yes we all see how well Lazar being rushed into the NHL has worked out for him. If you’re good enough, you’ll play right away (Tkachuk, Monahan, Gaudreau). Hell even Bennett was in and he probably could have used some more development time. If you legitimately think all those guys you just named should be full time NHLers I’m not really sure what to tell you lol

OvermanKingGainer

#BennettFreed #CurseofTheSpulll #FreeOliver
Feb 3, 2015
2022 Cup to Calgary
Yes we all see how well Lazar being rushed into the NHL has worked out for him.

He has 245 NHL games played at age 23 with a shade under six million dollars in salary earnings.
Morgan Klimchuk has 1 NHL game played at age 23.

Advantage: Lazar

The Ottawa Senators got a 2nd round pick for an NHL bust by simply showcasing him as an NHL talent.
The Calgary Flames got what for Emile Poirier?

Advantage: Ottawa

It's naive to not admit that idealism trails in the face of pragmatism in the NHL.

If a guy like Fox had the choice between 245 NHL GP and 1 NHL GP at the same point of his career simply by exercising his CBA-bargained rights, which do you think he should be choosing? Loyalty to a team that offered him AHL games?

You really think the games ANdersson and Kylington played last year were all they earned? That's laughable. Hanifin isn't even a good defensive player, and certainly wasn't at age 18. Truth of the matter is his situation worked out better for his NHL career because he wasn't shackled by a "due process".

Last edited:

Volica

Papa Shango
May 15, 2012
Interesting stuff, though the inability to reconcile talent with the Flames' approach to prospects is not necessarily a credit to the organization considering a guy like Lazar or Hanifin would not have played a dozen games for us yet had we drafted them, given our overly conservative handling of prospects, ultimately resulting in very poor trade value and unhappy prospects. If Fox is "arrogant", it's because he's protecting his best interests and sees guys like Andersson, Klimchuk, Poirier, Shinkaruk, Mangiapane, Kylington, Foo, waste away in the minors. There's always two sides to every story and I doubt this Fox situation was a case of "Fox hates Calgary".

Almost every guy you mentioned got at least a handful of games over the past number of seasons, minus Oliver and Klimmer quite yet. Oliver simply isn't ready, I'd let him be Stockton's 1D/2D before you move him up to the NHL.

Andersson in his short stint showed he should get a look on D next year, and Mangi & Foo definitely did the same in terms of getting a longer look at forward during camp. Shinkaruk didn't look great in the NHL, Poirier didn't look great... you don't want to just gift positions if there's no room for success or the guy's not ready. Like I'd rather have Mangi playing in the AHL than letting Glen Gulutzan play him 6 minutes a night buried on the 4th line.

Calgary's picks have always had the chance to make camp, independent of age.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad