Confirmed with Link: Jon Gillies Signs 2 year 1.5 million dollar contract (750k AAV)

Mobiandi

Jan 17, 2015
We're tight against the cap so this two-way deal coupled with Rittich losing his waiver exempt status means that Gillies will definitely be in the AHL for pretty much the entire season.

SKRusty

Napalm
Jan 20, 2016
Great contract for Jon. Not sure how happy Rittich will be seeing this contract.

We're tight against the cap so this two-way deal coupled with Rittich losing his waiver exempt status means that Gillies will definitely be in the AHL for pretty much the entire season.

Or that Rittich is no longer in the long term plans for the Flames. The Flames will not be concerned about sending down Rittich as it is doubtful any team would take a flier on him unless he has a lights out training camp.

Mobiandi

Jan 17, 2015
Great contract for Jon. Not sure how happy Rittich will be seeing this contract.

Or that Rittich is no longer in the long term plans for the Flames. The Flames will not be concerned about sending down Rittich as it is doubtful any team would take a flier on him unless he has a lights out training camp.
Not sure why that would be the case. Rittich outperformed Gillies during the regular season. It would take a monster camp by Gillies to convince Treliving to waive Rittich.

There're plenty of teams that would take a chance on Rittich: Sabres, Canes, Isles, Oilers, Jets (if Brossoit disappoints) to name a few

Bounces R Way

Nov 18, 2013
Weegartown
Big and athletic. Like that direction the Flames are heading in. Needs to clean up some positioning stuff and get a bit more solid mentally but I could see an NHL future for him.

Would rather him starting in the AHL and Rittich up with the Flames.

Lunatik

Oct 12, 2012
how does this tell you all of that? It is very unlikely that Rittich gets over a million and even if he gets a 1 way deal, he'll be able to be demoted without a cap penalty. In fact, if Rittich gets a higher AAV than Gillies, being tight to the cap might help Gillies' chances.

Volica

Papa Shango
May 15, 2012
My goalie friends who played at a very high level dislike this guy, but I’m hoping he comes around!

Lots of untapped potential.

Mr Snrub

I like the way Snrub thinks!
Oct 12, 2016
My goalie friends who played at a very high level dislike this guy, but I’m hoping he comes around!

Lots of untapped potential.

Dislike him on a personal basis or dislike his game and style of play?

Volica

Papa Shango
May 15, 2012
I'd prefer to just waive Rittich and roll with him as the backup personally.

I'm indifferent.
On a separate note, I'm part of a group that does a lot of charity work. We recently had a Flames related event. Craig Conroy loves this guy, and he has really high hopes for him; I think he speaks from the Flames brass... so there's a lot of faith in this kid.

Deen

Feb 19, 2010
I'm indifferent.
On a separate note, I'm part of a group that does a lot of charity work. We recently had a Flames related event. Craig Conroy loves this guy, and he has really high hopes for him; I think he speaks from the Flames brass... so there's a lot of faith in this kid.

Who doesn't Conroy like though? He seems like he's been slamming Pixy Stix 24/7.

Reactions: Cyrano

Calculon

unholy acting talent
Jan 20, 2006
Error 503
He was fairly open about his distaste for Fox. Actually.
TerribleObviousAltiplanochinchillamouse-size_restricted.gif

Volica

Papa Shango
May 15, 2012

This was post draft and trade. I'll give my three main things.

He spoke really really highly of Hanifin. As a man from the US collegiate system/US Hockey he has a number of people whom he speaks to regularly regarding US born players. Apparently there's a lot of feel that Hanifin is just scratching the surface of what he could be; there's thought this guy could be a complete 1D, and the year over year progression is really exciting. Says that a lot of guys his age aren't even thinking about being in the NHL and this guy's got over 200 games of experience. Thinks that with full top 4 minutes, he'll swim. Could see him being a top pair guy in the very near future.

Said they were really excited to get ahold of Lindholm. This group thinks really, really highly of him. I made a joke about it being Peters' boy, and he was like, we were talking Lindholm even a year or two back before Peters was even in the picture. He was always on the radar, once Carolina made some indication he might be available for the right price. Thinks given the right circumstance this could be a tremendous player

Finally onto Fox. He said that he was actually an arrogant little prick (I'm paraphrasing). As an ex college player himself he's heavily invested in college FA's and Prospects; he's used almost as an ambassador role for the kids. He says most of time, when he's around these guys pick his brain as much they can, he talks candidly with them. He said he was heavily involved with Gaudreau. They knew they had something special in Gaudreau; and this kid and his family knew it too. Yet they were ultra polite, and the talks were really great with them. He mentioned that Adam is a arrogant, that he thought very, very, very highly about himself. Thinks he's a surefire NHL'er and didn't have much interest in playing in Calgary. I guess they told him that if he signed this offseason, he would have been in the AHL and there would be a spot in camp for him to win in the NHL; that he'd even see some NHL time at the end of the season. He had no interest and was kind of a dick about it. Essentially, when he spoke to BT at the end of the day, they talked about fit and people who want to be here. Fox didn't fall under that banner.

OvermanKingGainer

#BennettFreed #CurseofTheSpulll #FreeOliver
Feb 3, 2015
2022 Cup to Calgary
Interesting stuff, though the inability to reconcile talent with the Flames' approach to prospects is not necessarily a credit to the organization considering a guy like Lazar or Hanifin would not have played a dozen games for us yet had we drafted them, given our overly conservative handling of prospects, ultimately resulting in very poor trade value and unhappy prospects. If Fox is "arrogant", it's because he's protecting his best interests and sees guys like Andersson, Klimchuk, Poirier, Shinkaruk, Mangiapane, Kylington, Foo, waste away in the minors. There's always two sides to every story and I doubt this Fox situation was a case of "Fox hates Calgary".

Reactions: DominikBokkFan

Lunatik

Oct 12, 2012
Interesting stuff, though the inability to reconcile talent with the Flames' approach to prospects is not necessarily a credit to the organization considering a guy like Lazar or Hanifin would not have played a dozen games for us yet had we drafted them, given our overly conservative handling of prospects, ultimately resulting in very poor trade value and unhappy prospects. If Fox is "arrogant", it's because he's protecting his best interests and sees guys like Andersson, Klimchuk, Poirier, Shinkaruk, Mangiapane, Kylington, Foo, waste away in the minors. There's always two sides to every story and I doubt this Fox situation was a case of "Fox hates Calgary".
What logical reason is there to think Hanifin wouldn't have made the Flames? The kid was a top 5 pick. In recent years the only top 10 pick not to make the Flames out of their first camp was Bennett who needed shoulder surgery. Besides that you have to go back to 2003.

Mr Snrub

I like the way Snrub thinks!
Oct 12, 2016

Glad your goalie pals and I share an opinion. I don't have a problem with re-signing him but I personally would've preferred a higher AAV over one year so that Parsons can get big minutes sooner than later should Gillies not improve.

Then again, goalies are long-term investments so maybe the extra year doesn't hurt.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad

-->