Jokerit Helsinki 2014/2015 season talk

Status
Not open for further replies.

Urbanskog

Platinum Member
Feb 8, 2014
Helsinki
Selänne will have some kind of cooperation with Jokerit (playing is not the case most likely) and that's what they discussed with Rotenberg.

http://www.iltasanomat.fi/jaakiekko/art-1288701400485.html

Siis sehän olisi... Jos katsoo tätä mun tarinaa, niin se olisi kiimainen ajatus! Mutta se on vain ajatus tällä hetkellä, Selänne sanoi silmät loistaen.

The quote above gives the impression that he certainly wouldn't mind playing.

loppa*

But one can say that and think good... and likewise say it and think bad. Not sure which way he had in mind?

Kennel

Aug 17, 2012
But one can say that and think good... and likewise say it and think bad. Not sure which way he had in mind?

"Kiima" (=Sexual arousal) is used to imply an extreme enthusiasm.

For example, people spam it on social media before an important game.

Proper :)sarcasm:) English translation would be "...it would be a bonerific idea!"

Finnpin

"internet"
Oct 10, 2005
Helsinki
Kurtis McLean (C) signs 1 year deal.

http://www.jokerit.com/mclean-uusin-sentterivahvistus
http://www.eliteprospects.com/player.php?player=11812

When Jokerit announced they are going to KHL, Kurtis McLean tweeted back then can he join the team :) well now he is in...

Kurtis and his Finnish wife have wanted to come back to Finland so this is not a surprise.

Almost a PPG player in Finnish and Swiss league and second best scorer in his bad KHL team.

I like this signing...brings also leadership, just like Koukal.

Last edited:

Peter25

Sep 20, 2003
Visit site
Roster atm

http://www.eliteprospects.com/team.php?team=41

Maybe something like:

Omark-Koukal-Harju
Hagman-McLean-Moses
Huhtala-"'X"-Sallinen
Rita-Hahl-Pöysti

Karalahti-Gunderson
Väänänen-Ohtamaa
Korpikari-Lajunen
Peltola-Todd

Karlsson
Helenius
Only thing missing is a good third line center (Petteri Wirtanen maybe?).

Otherwise this looks like a solid KHL team and it should make the playoffs next season.

Peter25

Sep 20, 2003
Visit site
A good team. It will be interesting to see how the Swedes do, hopefully they do well.

Actually Hagman and Moses in the second line is the weakest link in this team.

Defense is very good and better than an average defense in the KHL.

First line looks solid with Harju being a question mark.

But Hagman and Moses in the second line are questionable. Hagman was a disappointment when he played in Yaroslavl and now he is two years older and slower. Moses is nothing special and was not even that great in Liiga last season.

Jokerit will be a tough team to play against because the 3rd and 4th lines are full of players who are pretty fast and physical, and defense has size, mobility and physicality (Ohtamaa, Karalahti, Väänänen are hard hitters and Korpikari is big as well) but the top skill level in this team has some question marks before the season starts.

I think they still need one scoring winger and one third line center.

Peter25

Sep 20, 2003
Visit site
I don't think Harju is ever a question mark playing with Omark, they've played together since they were kids and provide tons of synergy.

But Harju was not really a first line worthy player when he played together with Omark in Moscow Dynamo about five years ago. And now he is a worse player than he was then.

QnebO

Wheel, snipe, celly
Feb 11, 2010
But Harju was not really a first line worthy player when he played together with Omark in Moscow Dynamo about five years ago. And now he is a worse player than he was then.

He is now 28, normally he should now be better than when he was 23.

Finnpin

"internet"
Oct 10, 2005
Helsinki
I have said it before that too much posters here evaluate players by one KHL season's performance. So many things can effect to the performance: role, lack of PP time, game system, line chemistry/mates, coach, city, etc.

But Hagman and Moses in the second line are questionable. Hagman was a disappointment when he played in Yaroslavl and now he is two years older and slower. Moses is nothing special and was not even that great in Liiga last season.
Moses has skills, his first season showed it. Last season wasn't good but the whole team sucked. Hagman, hard to say...I hope he trains hard in the summer.

But the team isn't done yet.

Last edited:

SoundAndFury

May 28, 2012
I have said it before that too much posters here evaluate players by one KHL season's performance. So many things can effect to the performance: role, lack of PP time, game system, line chemistry/mates, coach, city, etc.

The difference is that in Harju's case all these factors were considered and other than overly underachieving team he really has no one to blame for his bad season.

And sure, Harju is a goal scorer: they are streaky, they have unique skill set and all that stuff (see Marcel Hossa and his success in Riga and and lack of it everywhere else). Having said that, Harju is a risk and Jokerit fans can't be too happy about him. Yet..

m4tt145

Jun 7, 2013
Harju has all the tools to succeed in Jokerit with Omark. It's hard to tell with him.

Finnpin

"internet"
Oct 10, 2005
Helsinki
McLean:

http://www.jokerit.com/mclean-haluan-pelata-korkeimmalla-tasolla

-I had choices in NLA, Liiga and in KHL but I want to play in highest possible level.
-I was immediately interested in Jokerit when they joined KHL
-I know Finland well and know how friendly the people are. It feels like second home.
-When you look at our roster, it looks good.
-Finland have played well in Olympics and the Worlds, players attitude is right and teams play together which is important. That's why I believe we can have success in KHL.
-KHL is very good league. Individual skills are in high level and there is very good individuals. Russian players are used to play as individuals, that is just their style. I guess I think the game same way as Finns.
-(In KHL) You had to adjust your own game slightly to the Russian style
-I'm training daily and skate a lot so I'll be in good shape when the camp starts in end of July. Goal is to help the team to get success.

Last edited:

Jussi

Feb 28, 2002
Mojo Dojo Casa House

Moses has skills, his first season showed it. Last season wasn't good but the whole team sucked. Hagman, hard to say...I hope he trains hard in the summer.

But the team isn't done yet.

But he played with Filppulas and EK. He became a non-factor when they left. Actually cooled off a week or two before Karlsson left. I feel he's a very streaky player. He can go on a minor scoring streak, then cool off for a long while. Needs far too many shots on goal to be a considered a true goal scoring threat. Some questions about his hockey IQ as well as he tends to hog the puck too much. He won't be getting so many scoring opportunities in the KHL either as Westerlund's coaching MO on club level consists of defensive,trapping hockey rather than aggressive (unless his team has a clear roster advantage).

Finnpin

"internet"
Oct 10, 2005
Helsinki
But he played with Filppulas and EK. He became a non-factor when they left. Actually cooled off a week or two before Karlsson left. I feel he's a very streaky player. He can go on a minor scoring streak, then cool off for a long while. Needs far too many shots on goal to be a considered a true goal scoring threat. Some questions about his hockey IQ as well as he tends to hog the puck too much. He won't be getting so many scoring opportunities in the KHL either as Westerlund's coaching MO on club level consists of defensive,trapping hockey rather than aggressive (unless his team has a clear roster advantage).
We have talked about this before. Look at all his goals from rookie season, there is plenty of goals where Steve creates everything by himself. Steve had said himself that he wasn't ready for full regular season as a pro so he got tired...plus then came the injury. It wasn't all about Fil and EK.

Is Steve a question mark in KHL? certainly but there is potential if he "clicks" with his linemates.

Edit. all his pro rookie season goals. Lots of one timers and self made goals. There is skills. Period. Especially look at the goal at 5:22-->. Sick!

Last edited:

QnebO

Wheel, snipe, celly
Feb 11, 2010
With "bit of" good luck Jokerit could have chance to sign Ville Leino and Teemu Selänne for next season.

QnebO

Wheel, snipe, celly
Feb 11, 2010
Moses did alot of work for those goals. It was not just karlsson putting the puck on the net, which obviously he did well, but also he can thank moses for burrying many scoring chances. They weren't easy tap-ins, mostly goal scorers goals.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad

-->