Jokerit Helsinki 2014/15 Season Talk - Part II [MOD WARNING #439]

Status
Not open for further replies.

Killion

Feb 19, 2010
I doubt we'll ever see that. NHL is scared of losing its "monopoly" by loosing games to KHL (as we saw a few years ago).

BTW it's nice to see a Canadian showing interest in the KHL instead of calling it a bush league and comparing it to AHL...

Definitely is not "Bush League". Excellent brand of hockey. Comparing it to the North American game isnt even fair. Its a hybrid game, far more creative than the stultifying play you see in the NHL & AHL. Not even a fair comparison really. Much more wide~open, bigger ice surface, teams playing a supercharged offensive game. Firewagon hockey.

I would call it developing.

They have a grand vision for the KHL that will take time and dedication I just hope it comes to fruition, because the idea is a great one for the game.

Its is that. However, pretty much Wild Wild West type situations going down like the first two decades of the NHL, 70's WHA years.

In Helsingin Sanomat yesterday, Jokerit GM Kohonen said he estimates the overall budget to be "under 25 million euros". Sponsorship income would be about 8 million euros. The plan is to "be profitable". Since the ticket prices will about the same but with possibly less home games than last season, even with the 11K average attendance they're hoping for, where's the rest of the money supposed to come from?

Good question.

loppa*

I know, but people in North America keep saying that and it enrages me. Plus, most of people saying that never watched a single KHL game.

Most hockey fans in north america also have not watched a single AHL game. It's NHL and nothing else.

Jussi

Feb 28, 2002
Mojo Dojo Casa House
Most hockey fans in north america also have not watched a single AHL game. It's NHL and nothing else.

Based on how people sterotype the NHL game as dump & chase exposes to me that that person hasn't watched NHL games (involving Hawks and Kings for example) either.

Last edited:

Jussi

Feb 28, 2002
Mojo Dojo Casa House
Kings are most guilty for doing it.

:laugh: In the finals they were "forced" into it more by the Rangers defensive tactics (4-1 trap at the blueline) but also because their forechecking was infinitely better than any other teams in the playoffs. If they dumped the puck in, most of the time they got to the puck first. Against the Hawks they could attack just like them. Both teams had similar break-outs from their own zone, they were able to come out with short passes(instead of shooting the puck out via the boards like the Rangers), though obviously Kings with more success.

Last edited:

QnebO

Wheel, snipe, celly
Feb 11, 2010
Even with the 11k attadance, where is the rest of money coming

How do you know the sponsor deals will be only 8m? If one sponsor (for away games) is alone 5m. Also, they have said they get money from television deal. Those two first. Why would they say they try to make legit budget if they don't? And why would they not when they see what happened on Praha. They can't actually be trusting on charity makers as a plan.

Jussi

Feb 28, 2002
Mojo Dojo Casa House
How do you know the sponsor deals will be only 8m? If one sponsor (for away games) is alone 5m. Also, they have said they get money from television deal. Those two first. Why would they say they try to make legit budget if they don't? And why would they not when they see what happened on Praha. They can't actually be trusting on charity makers as a plan.

Because Kohonen gave that number in Helsingin Sanomat.

There seems to be still confusion whether they'll actually get money from a tv contract since up until now, the league has negotiated all tv contracts and kept all the revenue. Besides, we've already established in the previous thread that they can't get anything big from Finnish networks who are already loaded with other sports contract and having issues with them. A low 6 figure sum is around the max they been projected to be able to get.

loppa*

http://www.suomikiekko.com/2014/07/...in-vahan-hammastynyt-silla-han-ei-sanonut-ei/
Teemu surprises Jokerit and doesn't say no for next season at this point.

Kurri: I'm bit surprised, as Teemu didin't say no. Teemu said he is not yet ready to make the decision of playing in Jokerit or not in next season. We'll be back in discussion probably after july.

It's typical for him to decide late. At least, that's what he did in the NHL, right? He waited once even into a season to resign. Perhaps that is what will happen with the KHL... he may wait a month or two in...

Jussi

Feb 28, 2002
Mojo Dojo Casa House
It's typical for him to decide late. At least, that's what he did in the NHL, right? He waited once even into a season to resign. Perhaps that is what will happen with the KHL... he may wait a month or two in...

The article says he needs to think and search for motivation. Since he's previously stated that the following year will be the last one that the whole family will be together and he wants to enjoy every minute of it, I don't think it's very realistic to expect him to play.

Jussi

Feb 28, 2002
Mojo Dojo Casa House
This could be mentioned in other threads as well but an indication of the difference in sports sponsorship in the Nordic countries: http://www.hs.fi/urheilu/a1395720685601

Listed in this graph on the left are from left to right, sports, culture and other while the graph on the right shows the amount of money used for sports sponsorship in Finland, Sweden and Norway:

In addition to being well ahead in in the amount of money, the trend has been growing in Sweden and Norway while declining in Finland. So it's no wonder Jokerit couldn't raise their sponsorship budget in Finland to 10 million as they hoped.

QnebO

Wheel, snipe, celly
Feb 11, 2010
This could be mentioned in other threads as well but an indication of the difference in sports sponsorship in the Nordic countries: http://www.hs.fi/urheilu/a1395720685601

Listed in this graph on the left are from left to right, sports, culture and other while the graph on the right shows the amount of money used for sports sponsorship in Finland, Sweden and Norway:

Yep. Heard about that sponsorin culture in Athletics tv-broadcast few years ago. Have heard latelly when all sports leaguese basically hate Veikkaus. Betting companies have potential to be the biggest sponsors, but Veikkaus has monopoly and it basicly doesn't sponsor sports at all. It only gives ridiculous small amount of money and takes all the advantage of "sponsoring".

Nordic bet, who sponsors only Jokerit away games, seems to be brining 5% of the whole Finland's sponsorship for Jokerit in that deal.

Jonimaus

Jul 15, 2011
Lund

In addition to being well ahead in in the amount of money, the trend has been growing in Sweden and Norway while declining in Finland. So it's no wonder Jokerit couldn't raise their sponsorship budget in Finland to 10 million as they hoped.

What in the ****, ruotsi is swedish? :laugh:

QnebO

Wheel, snipe, celly
Feb 11, 2010
What in the ****, ruotsi is swedish? :laugh:

Yup. IDK whats behind it, perhaps it's only early ages payback because Swedes refuse to call Finland "Suomi". :D:sarcasm: Though I'm fine with everyone calling us Finland. It's solid name, not really sure why it is as it is though.

Last edited:

Jussi

Feb 28, 2002
Mojo Dojo Casa House
Yep. Heard about that sponsorin culture in Athletics tv-broadcast few years ago. Have heard latelly when all sports leaguese basically hate Veikkaus. Betting companies have potential to be the biggest sponsors, but Veikkaus has monopoly and it basicly doesn't sponsor sports at all. It only gives ridiculous small amount of money and takes all the advantage of "sponsoring".

Nordic bet, who sponsors only Jokerit away games, seems to be brining 5% of the whole Finland's sponsorship for Jokerit in that deal.

That's more a matter for the politicians who decide the percentages upon which all Veikkaus revenue is split. IMO they tend to use that money to cover some drops in tax revenue while cutting the percentage going to sports. But it's not just Veikkaus, I've talked about it before in other threads how the culture of sports sponsorship is much stronger in Sweden for example.

Bakayoko Ono

Aug 12, 2007
Helsinki
Betting companies have potential to be the biggest sponsors, but Veikkaus has monopoly and it basicly doesn't sponsor sports at all. It only gives ridiculous small amount of money and takes all the advantage of "sponsoring".

Cool.

Let's not forget to mention, that as a state monopoly administrated by the Ministry of E and C of Finland, at least 25% of all the profits Veikkaus makes goes, by law, to sports and P.E. in Finland. In 2013, Veikkaus recorded profits of about 506 m Euros.

Obviously, when it comes to marketing, they operate like any other company; they only make sponsorship deals that make sense and add value to the business. Veikkaus spent 6,6 million Euros on advertising and marketing in 2013. I don't know how much they spend on sponsoring sports, but according to Urheilulehti sports paper the figure was about 4 million Euros in 2012(?).

Why are sports so small market in Finland compared to Sweden, Norway etc.? Probably has something to do with sports simply being less popular here and our economy being much smaller. Like it says in the article Jussi linked, companies just don't see it worth it to spend money on sports marketing, especially now that the economy is stalling. Time for the leagues, clubs and the industry in general to improve their operations and figure out ways to make themselves attractive to sponsors. Crying poor and blaming others is going to achieve absolutely nada.

Jokerit suddenly more than doubling(?) their budget in just one year(or summer) and in this economic climate(Russia's economy is struggling, our economy is struggling, trade between the two nations is on the decline, all the negative publicity due to the crisis in Ukraine and Russia's actions there etc.) tells me they are doing pretty fantastic job at the club... or that they just happened to find Russian billionaires to back them. ;)

Last edited:

Jussi

Feb 28, 2002
Mojo Dojo Casa House
Cool.

Let's not forget to mention, that as a state monopoly administrated by the Ministry of E and C of Finland, at least 25% of all the profits Veikkaus makes goes, by law, to sports and P.E. in Finland. In 2013, Veikkaus made profits of almost 525 m Euros.

Obviously, when it comes to marketing, they operate like any other company; they only make sponsorship deals that make sense and add value to the business. Veikkaus spent 6,6 million Euros on advertising and marketing in 2013. I don't know how much they spend on sponsoring sports, but according to Urheilulehti sports paper the figure was about 4 million Euros in 2012(?).

Why are sports so small market in Finland compared to Sweden, Norway etc.? Probably has something to do with sports simply being less popular here and our economy being much smaller. Like it says in the article Jussi linked, companies just don't see it worth it to spend money on sports marketing, especially now that the economy is stalling. Time for the leagues, clubs and the industry in general to improve their operations and figure out ways to make themselves attractive to sponsors. Crying poor and blaming others is going to achieve absolutely nada.

Jokerit suddenly more than doubling(?) their budget in just one year(or summer) and in this economic climate(Russia's economy is struggling, our economy is struggling, trade between the two nations is on the decline, all the negative publicity due to the crisis in Ukraine and Russia's actions there etc.) tells me they are doing pretty fantastic job at the club... or that they just happened to found Russian billionaires to back them. ;)

As I've said before, in Sweden the local businesses have always supported their sports teams with much more interest than over here. Some have analyzed that it's because the whole sports culture there is much older than over here. Fan enthusiasm or dedication, behavior at game, "recognizing the team colors"... Years ago I saw on tv, can't whether it was on Finnish or Swedish tv how a sponsor of the local team hockey team (Elitserien or Allsvenskan) went to a home game wearing the team's jersey and acting like regular fans, despite having a "better seat". How do Finnish equivalent behave? They go to a few games here and there, get drunk and yell obscenities at the ref while wearing a business jacket.

Kohonen didn't specify how that sponsorship is split, domestic or foreign and since I guess they are not obligated to do so by law, we might not know. Of course if there are e.g. Gazprom logos on the jersey and boards at Hartwall, it's not too hard to deduct.

Finnpin

"internet"
Oct 10, 2005
Helsinki
Pre-season schedule atm:

7.8. Jokerit - Admiral Vladivostok (@Tikkurila)
12.8. TPS - Jokerit (@Turku)
15.8. Jokerit - Jugra (@Hämeenlinna)
16.8. HPK - Jokerit (@Hämeenlinna)
19.8. Jokerit - Sibir Novosibirsk (@Tikkurila)
21.8. Jokerit- Brynäs (@Tikkurila)
28. - 29.8. Nikolai Putshkov -tournament (@St. Petersburg)
31.8. Jokerit - SKA (@Hartwall Arena)

Tikkurila games are only for season ticket holders.

QnebO

Wheel, snipe, celly
Feb 11, 2010
Are you telling me you didn't know how to say "Sweden" in Finnish? :)

You should check up some other very strange Finnish names for countries, such as Russia and Germany. It's hilarious.

Them Saxons! I don't have idea where our name for Russia could've come from.

pulverapa

Jul 22, 2011
Stockholm
It was borrowed from a Proto-Germanic word "wened" (=Slav).

Actually, I think it's "Wenden". If you have been playing games like Europa Universalis or especially Crusader Kings, the word "Wends" is well used for slavic people living across the southern shores of the Baltic Sea, the people who later was conquered by Knights such as the Teutons or Livonians. Great computer games! ;)

Wether Finland borrowed that word for Russia, I don't know.

http://fi.wikipedia.org/wiki/Vendit

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad

-->