Jokerit 2019 - 2020: The Jari Kurri era

Albatros

Aug 19, 2017
Ostsee
Yes I think many people dislike the black jersey. For me it's fine, i assume they will change the traditional blue shirt back next season or season after that anyways.

They always return to blue in one form or another, but I don't think it has that strong of a tradition regardless. Compared to other Finnish teams Jokerit seems less connected to any particular colors and that was so already before their KHL adventure.

Jussi

Feb 28, 2002
Mojo Dojo Casa House
They always return to blue in one form or another, but I don't think it has that strong of a tradition regardless. Compared to other Finnish teams Jokerit seems less connected to any particular colors and that was so already before their KHL adventure.

1983-84-7-jussi-lepist%C3%B6-jok-jpg.6235

Red, yellow and blue. Plus the GOAT jerseys:

890c8058166cc4c42c02f5dd61f444c35f2135e77f7acab0f07fce9d72e44073.jpg

Reactions: Exarz

hansomreiste

Sep 23, 2015
Ankara
I criticized pretty much everything that exists on the face of earth here in this section but Jokerit's black jersey is not gonna be one of them. I find them very sexy and cool. Coupled with the new scoreboard and style of the league (no idea what it's called altogether... interface? layout? design?) it feels very modern and energetic. I totally love it. Though admittedly, I don't know much about Jokerit's own traditions and previous jerseys - so maybe it looks atrocious and completely unrelated to the club tradition but for a neutral like me, it rocks.

Reactions: Witte49

QnebO

Wheel, snipe, celly
Feb 11, 2010
Unbearable again to watch these games. Just get rid of Marjamäki, hes the worst coach on that level ever. When he coached the National Team it was absolute mess, now Jokerit is total mess as long as he gets to be there.

Exarz

Jan 1, 2014
Helsinki
I've gotten used to the black jerseys now, so they do at least look way better now than when they first got released, but I have to say that it is still a weird move to change from the blue jerseys that have been used for several years and has become a true part of the club's identity...

Jussi

Feb 28, 2002
Mojo Dojo Casa House
Jokerit got 430K euros tv money share from the league. So that's over half less than what Liiga club get from the tv contract with Telia... I still remember how Roman Rotenberg said they'd get millions from tv contracts they could negotiate for themselves, showing how he didn't understand the league's negotiating policy while severely overestimating the interest. Good times...

CPFC

Sep 12, 2004
Certainly this is the end of the Niemi experiment?

Niemi has looked very slow and clumsy. Unless there's a nagging injury hindering his movement, I predict Niemi to be a massive failure for Jokerit. They will be forced to play Kalnins and look for a replacement. Joni Ortio is still available (who should've been hired instead of Niemi in the first place)...

Albatros

Aug 19, 2017
Ostsee
Jokerit got 430K euros tv money share from the league. So that's over half less than what Liiga club get from the tv contract with Telia... I still remember how Roman Rotenberg said they'd get millions from tv contracts they could negotiate for themselves, showing how he didn't understand the league's negotiating policy while severely overestimating the interest. Good times...

KHL has its own TV channel in Russia while Telia owns exclusive Liiga rights.

Exarz

Jan 1, 2014
Helsinki
Niemi has looked very slow and clumsy. Unless there's a nagging injury hindering his movement, I predict Niemi to be a massive failure for Jokerit. They will be forced to play Kalnins and look for a replacement. Joni Ortio is still available (who should've been hired instead of Niemi in the first place)...
Who could've seen this coming :sarcasm: I never understood why they went with Niemi in his final years over Ortio

Albatros

Aug 19, 2017
Ostsee
That's a one-club market, essentially Jokerit is having to carry the entire league in the region alone.

Rigafan

Jul 28, 2016
Europe
Regarding this... Isn't this a share from the KHL only? Because Jokerit push the demand for KHL TV? or am I wrong here. Like if Jokerit want to go sign a deal with X CHANNEL FINALND SPORTS for €42m per season aren't they open to do that?

Jussi

Feb 28, 2002
Mojo Dojo Casa House
Regarding this... Isn't this a share from the KHL only? Because Jokerit push the demand for KHL TV? or am I wrong here. Like if Jokerit want to go sign a deal with X CHANNEL FINALND SPORTS for €42m per season aren't they open to do that?

No, that's the deal KHL negotiated with Viasat who have the rights. KHL negotiates the rights for all tv contracts. Clubs can't do it separately. Viasat Finland have the NHL, KHL and Premier League rights in Finland. Other channels don't even have the money (already have enough/too many rights) nor the interest.

Reactions: Rigafan

Rigafan

Jul 28, 2016
Europe
No, that's the deal KHL negotiated with Viasat who have the rights. KHL negotiates the rights for all tv contracts. Clubs can't do it separately. Viasat Finland have the NHL, KHL and Premier League rights in Finland. Other channels don't even have the money (already have enough/too many rights) nor the interest.

Thanks, well €400k pays for around 1 player doesn't it?

Peter25

Sep 20, 2003
Visit site
This team looks too old and slow especially with forwards. Regin, Kontiola, Pihlström, Joensuu, Anttila etc.

Marko Anttila has come back down to earth fast after the World Championships: 7 games played with only one assist and no goals.

Jokerit needs faster and more physical forwards but there are not many available.

Garl

Oct 7, 2006
This team looks too old and slow especially with forwards. Regin, Kontiola, Pihlström, Joensuu, Anttila etc.

Marko Anttila has come back down to earth fast after the World Championships: 7 games played with only one assist and no goals.

Jokerit needs faster and more physical forwards but there are not many available.

It wasn't a problem for the same players last year.

And Pihlstrom not fast and not physical? Really?

Peter25

Sep 20, 2003
Visit site
It wasn't a problem for the same players last year.

And Pihlstrom not fast and not physical? Really?

Pihlström is old and not as fast as he used to be.

But yes they should play better. Against Minsk they looked like a tired and slow bunch of old hasbeens.

CPFC

Sep 12, 2004
He is still much faster than 90% of KHLers.

Also Mäenalanen, Norman, Moses, Ikonen and O'Neill are all fast skaters so speed is not the main problem. They lack a proper starting goaltender and I'm afraid Marjamäki doesn't know how to implement a good enough defensive structure.

SoundAndFury

May 28, 2012
Honestly, Niemi might be the worst investment any KHL team has made this year. The guy just can't win games anymore.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad