Jokerit 2019 - 2020: The Jari Kurri era

vorky

@vorkywh24
Jan 23, 2010
Does not a Finnish joint-stock company have to follow all Finnish laws without exception, regardless of its ownership?
Of course, it is, but there are still people not understanding that principle.

Albatros

Aug 19, 2017
Ostsee
I think it's pretty clear that Jokerit wouldn't be able to operate without Russian money, thinking otherwise is just naive. But stating that it's a Finnish company and a Finnish owner is just a stupid attempt to make it look better than it actually is. I don't think that anyone is that stupid to believe that.

The company has history also before the current ownership though, Nornickel merely purchased an existing one so there's a bit more to it than just their brand.

Jussi

Feb 28, 2002
Mojo Dojo Casa House
I think it's pretty clear that Jokerit wouldn't be able to operate without Russian money, thinking otherwise is just naive. But stating that it's a Finnish company and a Finnish owner is just a stupid attempt to make it look better than it actually is. I don't think that anyone is that stupid to believe that.

However, this scenario is certainly the best option available and a much, much better option than the Timchenko-Rotenberg solution was.

Since this was done mostly to avoid sanctions related issues, the funny part is that one of the Norilsk co-owners is Oleg DeriPASKA (writing it in caps because Finns get the joke), who was just recently taken off the sanctions list by the Orange Dotard without congress approval. Which basically means that he's going to end up there again sooner or later and Jokerit are back to square one.

Jussi

Feb 28, 2002
Mojo Dojo Casa House
The company has history also before the current ownership though, Nornickel merely purchased an existing one so there's a bit more to it than just their brand.

Yes but you're fooling yourself if you think that history has anything to do with the Jokerit situation.

Jussi

Feb 28, 2002
Mojo Dojo Casa House
Kommentti: Jari Kurri sortuu uransa karmeimpaan virheeseen surkuhupaisilla lausunnoillaan – miksi tätä yksinkertaista totuutta Jokerien rahoituskuviosta ei saa sanoa ääneen?

Jokerien KHL-taipaleen rahoitus on nopeasti kerrottu, tilinpäätöstietojen vilkaiseminen riittää. Ensimmäiset neljä KHL-kautta toivat 56 miljoonan euron tappiot. Toiminnan turvasivat 44 miljoonan euron pääomalainat. Valistuneiden arvioiden mukaan ne eivät voi tulla muualta kuin Jokerien kotiareenan yhtiönsä kautta omistavien Timtshenkon ja Rotenbergin leiristä.
Näiden yksinkertaisten faktojen kohdalla alkoivat Kurrin ja Jokerien tiedotusosaston vaikeudet. Maanantaina Kurri kertoi Yle Urheilulle, ettei tiedä mitään pääomalainoista.
Näistä lausunnoista voi tehdä kolme vaihtoehtoista tulkintaa. Joko Kurri on täydellinen hölmöläinen, tietämätön bulvaani tai sitten hän puhuu palturia.

"First 4 seasons brought upon 56 million euro losses. Operations were guaranteed by capital loans in the amount of 44 million. According to well educated estimates, the only place they could have come from, was from the Timtshenko & Rotenberg camps.

With these simple facts began the problems at Kurri & Jokerit presser. On Monday Kurri told Yle Sports that he knows nothing about capital loans. You can make three different interpretation based on that. Either Kurri is a complete moron, an ignorant front or he's full of shit."

Last edited:

Albatros

Aug 19, 2017
Ostsee
Subordinated loans can be marked as own capital in accounting so even in the case that they would still exist they may not be obvious to a layman. It is also not very relevant as they will factually never have to be paid back.

Albatros

Aug 19, 2017
Ostsee
I love their new jerseys, they look very cool.

jokerit-103.jpg

Albatros

Aug 19, 2017
Ostsee
I don't know, a matter of taste (or the lack of it) I suppose, also the national team had that tacky hidden insurance company advert, but if they wanted to go down the path of kitschiness they should have gone all in as they used to.

JokeritKurriSelannechamps-1.jpg

Exarz

Jan 1, 2014
Helsinki
I have to say, the yellow jersey would've been really good if they inverted the colours and went with red as the majority colour. Now they're going to skate around looking like a bunch of chickens on ice

Jokerit Wasp

Mar 8, 2004
White jersey spot on. Swap the black for the blue and it would be good. Black jersey, yellow jersey, no thanks.

TheWhiskeyThief

Dec 24, 2017
I just hate the old IIHF sweater template.

It looks like a practice bib worn over a T shirt worn over a long sleeved shirt.

Jussi

Feb 28, 2002
Mojo Dojo Casa House
I just hate the old IIHF sweater template.

It looks like a practice bib worn over a T shirt worn over a long sleeved shirt.

While they may have went for a KHL style design by going with a Moscow design company, Russian style doesn't always/quite work over here in the West. The black jersey reminds me of JYP's CHL jerseys.

Reactions: Exarz

Whiskey In the Jar

Jan 28, 2013
1-2 +empty netter :cool: Had not watched any practise games or anything but team looked much better now than in loongg time before despite close loss. Sog 26 - 18 so home team should have shot much more 5on5 to generate some more scoring chances. However positive was both upgraded looking offense + defence and team was forced to dump and chase much less than previous season team used to do so that is a positive sign. But too early to draw any further conclusions about the team.

BOS358

Purveyor of unpopular opinions
Jul 20, 2017
Boston
I'm actually not just stopping in here to give my opinion on how terrible the new uniforms are, but they do suck. They look like a recoloring of the super-trendy Arizona Coyotes jerseys. It seems like if there's a trend, Jokerit are all over it.

Now my real reason: how has Oksanen looked in the preseason matches? It's hard to get much KHL info here in the States.

Whiskey In the Jar

Jan 28, 2013
I'm actually not just stopping in here to give my opinion on how terrible the new uniforms are, but they do suck. They look like a recoloring of the super-trendy Arizona Coyotes jerseys. It seems like if there's a trend, Jokerit are all over it.

Now my real reason: how has Oksanen looked in the preseason matches? It's hard to get much KHL info here in the States.

Yes I think many people dislike the black jersey. For me it's fine, i assume they will change the traditional blue shirt back next season or season after that anyways.
That is what many teams do, looking just some fresh "change" I guess with black jerseys. Dunno know about Oksanen's situation, some kind of an injury.
I think there are bunch of key players injuried for time being such as O'Neill.

Anyways, 2nd game of the regular season 2-5 loss (home loss). A horrible game after the good opener (loss too) :laugh:. Sog 16-31 for visiting team, so even basic stats look terrible. Team looking exhausted, not a good sign. Im a bit afraid age might be cathing this team finally, 2nd oldest team in the league, average age topping 30... If that's the problem it's a quite big problem not a quick fixes. Management might be forced to change coaching and even transfer players during the season if things truly starts to go bad direction early on. But more games will show how things develope.

A New Look at Aging Curves for NHL Skaters (part 1)
Somewhat related nice little article:rolleyes:

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad